Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any legal eagles give a quick answer to this one?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

The basics:
    1) Mum had a PV system installed in 2011
    2) Mum died last December and I am an executor of her estate on which probate has not yet been granted.
    3) It transpires that the PV installation was done incorrectly (discovered on Friday) and although it produces electricity it has been wired so that none of it is made available to the house without first going through the normal consumption meter(i.e. she has not had any ‘free’ electricity which is probably the main reason for having it fitted).
    4) Installing company has admitted the error and is going to rectify the wiring.

I want to claim compensation for the electricity that was not made available to the house (Gov assumes 50% of all generated electricity is used by the house, so that is what I’m claiming – about £475).

Installing company has stated that it will not entertain any claim as my Mum is dead and her contract was with her.

I think they owe compensation to mums estate as the house is still in her name. If I went to a small claims court would I stand a chance?

brant
    Free Member

It’s only £475
    It’s a sum. Of course. But…

It’s great the company are fixing the wiring.
    I guess this shows some form of negligence.

IANAL

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think they are right, should be google-able.

martinhutch

I believe that executors can sue on behalf of the estate, but whether it’s practical to do so over £475 is another matter. CAB would be able to help.

ourmaninthenorth

Not something I know anything about. The lawyers will advise.

Also, have a look at this http://www.stephens-scown.co.uk/blog/2011/09/posthumous-proceedings/

totalshell

whats not to claim.. your now the executor of the estate if your mum owed money on the installation then you/ the estate would be liable for that so whats ggod for the goose is..

small claims court is your friend.. how was your mum supposed to check thier work?

crankboy
    Free Member

The answer is yes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any legal eagles give a quick answer to this one?’ is closed to new replies.