• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any Land Rover 90 Defender owners on here?
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

I think I am developing a crush on one!

What are you views as a bike carrying vehicle?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Not ideal. I have a 110 station-wagon. With the seats up, you can’t get a bike in the back with the wheels on. With a decent tow-bar or spare wheel rack it would be ace though.

scotchegg
    Free Member

I was the proud owner of a 1962 series 2A. Now that was a Bike carrier.

Other than that. I will not make comment.

mattbee

Rubbish unless you use a rack. Need to take front wheel off and wiggle to get a 19″ framed hardtail into the back of a 90 hardtop with side facing benches in rear. 110 much better.

mute
    Free Member

You can get one bike in pretty easily with the rear wheel off once you have got the hang of it, but more than one is a pain in the arse (no bench seats).
    A rack would be easier but not a spare wheel mounted one unless it has a swing-away spare wheel carrier.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’ve owned a few – the 90 (with no seats in the rear) needs the front wheel off and will take two bikes (upside down, on seat/bars) with both wheels off for weekend trips away, 110 hi cap just takes everything in the back, plus you can hang your front wheel over the tailgate like your doing uplift runs in BC 🙂

Here you go, bit tight in there:

Fuel economy they are fairly poor (diesels are 25-32 mpg, petrol v8s = 4-22mpg) after all your lugging at least 2 tonnes of solihuls finest metal around!

I’d only buy if you need one to tow, or plan on offroading/green laning lots, otherwise buy a wee van!

Out of interest…. Have you ever driven one!? If no, then drive one, and that might even put you off as they are very agricultural and an *cough* acquired taste!! Do’nt get me wrong, I love them to bits and that’s why I always have one and have owned plenty, let me know if you need any help in area’s to inspect round the vehicle – namely chassis and bulkhead are the key ones.

taka
    Free Member

get a 130 hi cap i can fit 5 bikes in mine with wheels on and everyones camping kit only downside is it can only carry 3 people if i take the cubby box out

cranberry
    Free Member

There’s plenty of space in a 2 seater 110.

an *cough* acquired taste!!

very true.

globalti
    Free Member

You’re better with a van, and that’s from a former 90 owner!

gibbonarms
    Free Member

@globalti…. got to agree with that, and that’s from a current 90 and van owner!

freeagent
    Free Member

I had a 110HT as a daily driver for 6 years.
    They are agricultural, and can be hard work to live with but there are times when nothing else on the road would fit the bill.
    I did a lot of off-road stuff in mine, and drove in a rally from London to Sarajevo.
    Mine went due to other financial commitments, I’d have another tomorrow if I had the cash, but never again as an only car, or daily driver.
    The cost of fuel, and level of maintenance required if you do big miles is just too great.
    As a second vehicle, or primary vehicle that does low miles they make a lot more sense.
    Get a good one, look after it and they are reliable, buy a rotter and you’ll soon get fed up with it.
    Service history is desirable, but often patchy/non-existant on older models.
    The above advice re-corrosion is sound – look at rear cross member, bulkhead outriggers, and the bulkhead itself, especially footwells and top corners.

As for carrying bikes, I think everyone above has covered that off, basically – not as good as they look!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I used to have a 110 van, was great. Sligh 3 bikes in without any bother.

Now just recently got me a new 90. Can get 2 bikes in with front wheel off and carefully placed. Gnna mount some form clamps to the interior bulkhead, or a hook on the roof to hang em from.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Of course, if you *really* want to shift bikes with a Landy… 😉

earl_brutus

got a 90 tdi here bought as a fun weekend toy been loads of fun greenlaning offroading and general countryside adventures, van like so good at carrying loads, towing trailers etc. cheap to buy but maintenance can be a chore, just got a £1300 bill for chassis welding and other major service items!
    wouldnt use it for long daily distances as theyre a bit quirky

MrNutt
    Free Member

Why has no one developed a “wolf” spare wheel type bike mount?

skiboy
    Free Member

Wolf style ? On the side swing out ?

I have a puma 110 with 7 seats , can’t fit a bike in without a huge amount of effort , I used to have a ex mil 110 before and could get a couple in the back of that ,

Lots of good reasons to buy one but as a bike carrier only , unless you have a trailer just buy a van,

Don’t forget 100 quid to fill the tank and I usually get around 380 miles to it,

grantway
    Free Member

Do be carful some of the Defenders was being considered to come under HGV Licence

zokes
    Free Member

Do be carful some of the Defenders was being considered to come under HGV Licence

Wasn’t this the ones with many seats as PCVs?

globalti
    Free Member

We had a wheel-mounted bike carrier, there was a huge steel plate that went on the spare wheel studs then a massive steel tube that fitted and locked on, sticking up almost as far as the roof line. It sagged so much thanks to the flexibility of the door that there were two straps and clamps to attach it to the gutter. In the end it was quicker to dismantle the bikes and stack them in the back, which was also a nightmare.

On the other hand if you needed to carry a few hundred bricks 300 ft up a mountain track or tow a small piece of construction plant, the 90 was superb.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Grantway

What you mean is that with max towing weight attached on a defender the gtw is enough that you require a tachograph to move it for hire or reward.

northernerindevon

My two pennyworth – I have a heavily modified ex military 90 as an ‘everyday’ driver (I work offshore so not really ‘everyday’ but its my only vehicle) and I love it – had it 10 years (many years of getting exactly as I want it) and as I often ride solo it’s great. I have a big subwoofer in the back (if you can’t go fast you may as well have good depth to your tunes!) and can still reasonably easily get a few bikes in, so long as you take the front wheels off.

There are very few other vehicles I can think of (old Minis and VW Campers?) that have the same cameraderie – you’ll often get waved at by other Landies and if you ever have to stop on the motorway its quite likely that a fellow Landy might well stop for you. It’s always nice to get a wave!

Ace for greenlaning,pay and play sites, camping, surfing remote spots, etc etc etc

But, they are a bit quirky to drive and not to everyones taste. Best advice is to try one before you get your heart set on one…

Cheers, Paul

br
    Free Member

My riding buddy has a newish 110 and while its great fun, no way would I want it as a daily driver. Also he has a 4-bike rack on the back, which means you can only get in the rear by moving the 2-row seats – and while a bike fits fully built inside you do need to drop down a 2-row seat.

globalti
    Free Member

I used to offroad mine and it could do things that were waay beyond my fear threshold.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha for sure global

A work colleague took my out in his winch challenge truck ( does the scotia challenge every year) at the end of last year , scared the living shit out of me and thats without using the winch.

Had the thing so far over onto its side with front drivers wheel completely off the ground i could have probably stuck my hand out the window and touched the floor.

His is probably 20-30 k of truck though , series 2 lightweight based body on a c reg rangie classic chassis with remote fox shocks , arb diffs , strengthened axels and the like , v8 on mega squirt

Kenneththecurtain knows the truck im talking about he will be along shortly extolling its virtues

mt
    Free Member

Love my 110 utility but you have to want one. Long runs are a pain sometimes and feel a bit of an adventure. My latest Defender is the new 2.2 engine which seems to be pretty good. It will ride along at 80mph if it needs to 70mph is easy and 60 is better for the driver.

Had a 90 before and could fill with kit and two bikes but whells had to be off hwich was ok on a road trip. A bit of bike rebuild at the end of a journey helps you unstiffen after sitting in those little seats.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any Land Rover 90 Defender owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.