Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any ladies on here with a Santa Cruz Juliana?
  • ononeorange

I ask as we are looking at one this weekend for mrs ononeorange, and wondered how you get on with it? Does it inspire confidence, does it climb OK, is the fit good – all those sorts of questions. She’s 5’4″, usual rides are Chilterns with a few Scottish, Welsh and Quantocks trips thrown in and we’re decidign whether to spend some money on current bike or go for a totally new one for her.

Not on here all the time but will keep checking back!

Thanks.

hels
    Free Member

Yes, and I used to race XC on it, with flat bars and 110 forks. Climbed surprisingly well.

Now has big ole risers, 140 forks and tractor tires. Doesn’t climb so well these days, but then neither do I. I’m 5 ft and not very much 152cm whatever that is in your quaint imperial measures.

Bikes don’t inspire confidence, skill and practice does. Good brakes help too mine has mono minis.

ononeorange

Thanks hels. (Pretty much on 5′ then!).

hels
    Free Member

Get a Juliana they are lovely bikes ! She won’t regret it. Dress it up with a nice brake set, 165mm cranks really help the smaller rider or perhaps 170mm actually for such a giant of a woman, they should come at no extra costs in the build.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I do know Bunnyhop of this parish has one and loves it (and I’m pretty sure she is of similar stature…) no doubt she’ll be along shortly to proffer a full appraisal 😉

ononeorange

Yes – also trying to decide – if we go the Juliana route – whether to buy just the frame and custom build or go with the “standard” Santa Cruz kits. A few components I’m not so sure about on there. Anyway, we’re going to try to get a demo ride this weekend.

Look forward to hearing from Bunnyhop!

Thanks again.

Paceman
    Free Member

My better half rides one, lightish set-up with 100mm Reba’s, XT drivetrain, Hope Hoops, Monkeylite’s, Nobby Nics. It’s a great all-round trailbike, with climbing being it’s strongpoint i’d say. A classic full-susser design, what more can I say 😀

hels
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to over build it – whatever the BSG tells you she doesn’t need 180mm rotors (well unless she weighs 15 stone but lets not get personal)

I would say my Talas 140mm forks are wrong for the bike, but I bought them on sale in a weak moment when I was bored at lunchtime. Go smaller.

stooo
    Free Member

If it’s any help at all… I’ve just got a std Santa Cruz Superlight (so basically a big Juliana) and love it. Great fun ride. Very predictable handling and seems to want to be pedalled fast. Great up hill too. Got mine built with light components and 120mm bolt through forks.

The back end is pretty stiff so I’d highly recommend nice stiff forks with a bolt through axle of some sort – 15mm or 20mm to keep the front end tracking as well as the back.

685 low risers and an 80mm stem seems pretty nice on it, handling wise.

ononeorange

You’re confusing us – it’s me that weighs 15 stone – she’s the dainty one!

No, want to make this a reasonably light one. She’s had too long on a heavy-ish build (hangs head in shame).

It was more bad experiences with some of the manufacturers’ components on there we’ve had in the past. (You know how one develops prejudices over the years but labels them “experiences”…….!)

Paceman
    Free Member

Anywhere 100-120mm travel would be ideal i’d say. Reba’s work well and keep the weight down. Any slacker than 120mm and I reckon the steering would become pretty vague and you’d loose the easy climbing prowess you’re after.

ononeorange

Thanks for the comments so far. Rebas are top of the list, so that’s great.

aviemoron
    Free Member

My missus had one for years, it was a “standard” S’light in medium she’s 5’6″ and we had it decked out in XO XTR Magura Marta’s, Fox RLC 100’s. She rode it all over Scotland and only sold it recently for an Ellsworth!

tragically1969
    Free Member

My Mrs has one, she is around 5’4″ ish and rides a medium, well its a superlight but they are the exactly the same bikes, she really likes it, another friend has one and really likes it too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any ladies on here with a Santa Cruz Juliana?’ is closed to new replies.