Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • any kite flyers in the house?
  • rp16v
    Free Member

looking for advice on a new kite i have a 4ft powerhouse dynamo(aprox 10yo) sports kite that is still going strong but am looking for something with enough lift to well lift me not as far as buggys and board ect, something like a small para kite that can budle up fairly small for carrying/storage
    im only 5’8 ,weigh a measley 10 1/2 st and i have the space to take advantage of the kite
    dont want to blow a big wad on this incase i dont get allong with it
    can always upgrade at a later date
    any help would be great
    thanks

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not in the house, no.

mactheknife

Been a while since i have flown powerkites, im on the water ow and they are a whole diferent kettle of fish.

PKD Buster 3m was my first kite, had handles with depower straps if u let go. But not too sure what is the favourite now.

Have a look on Kitecrowd for info and they have a good for sale section

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Bit out of touch on what’s new. I’ve a buggy I can sell you if you like though.

CountZero

Don’t fancy this, then?
    😆

rp16v
    Free Member

one day maby but as i dont drive it would be hard to carry equipment needed weras i have a field big enough for basic kite and land board use and i cd prob get away with a land board on my back on a motorbike if i wanted to go further.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t fancy this, then?

Not in that water, no.

elaineanne
    Free Member

OMG is that Blackpool sea lols

i remeber making kites at school once…there were some bloody good kites too and alot of them actually worked…some of the toffy nosed kids (lol) designed box kites…we were only 9 or 10 years old….had lots of fun flying them i remember… 😉 now thats goin back a good few years lol

BrickMan

Used to years ago, still have one somewhere!

Have two kites, a little 3.5m flexifoil traction kite, which is great in high steady winds for a buggy, but useless for anything else. And a 10/11m2 peter lynn guerilla2 (quite old now!) de-power /self inflating kite, and thats great for most weathers, very versatile and easy to setup and use, very forgiving.
    The inflatable leading edge kites (can’t remember name?) are now VERY popular, if not all de-powers are of that type as they are really easy to get back out of the sea when you ditch it, and handle a lot sharper than the older arc’ type kites.

If you haven’t tried anything big, would suggest tracking down your local club and having a go before you buy!

CountZero

Elaine, no, that’s the Bristol Channel at Burnham-on-Sea, just south of Weston-Super-Mare, last Wednesday. Lots of sediment being washed down the Severn and Wye from all the rain in Wales and Midlands. Similar to Morcambe Bay, though; very shallow slope to the beach, and the tide goes out a mile or so. About 40′ rise and fall, just checked my tide table app, and it’s a high of 29.9′ at 04.30, and high again of 31′ at 23.00. Very dangerous bit of coast.
    [edit] This is a long shot of the beach, the kite-boarder is on the left:

This pic is an old wreck, about three miles further on about an hour later:

And this pic is about ten/fifteen minutes after that, you can see how fast the water drops there, and there’s lots of very soft mud. People get stuck in it, and some have died.

Terrific beach, though.

grantway
    Free Member

Firstly you will not need a traction kite !
    A traction kite is for buggy or land boarding only

And it seems some people are calling kite killers that are strapped to
    your wrists has De-powering these are two totally different things.

Kite killers are those that are strapped to your wrists and if you get it wrong
    you simply let go of the handles and the kite collapses.

And de-powering is having a very large kite that enables you if the winds are to
    strong to decrease the size of the kite to enable you to fly the kite when you
    couldn’t with a standard non de-powering kite.

Have a look on this forum for correct advice.

http://forum.kitecrowd.com/

rp16v
    Free Member

i thought that water looked abit southwestey tbh
    thanks for the info so far would u recomend a 2 or 4 line for what im looking to do with it?
    will take a gander on the forum i trust theres probably secondhand section i might find something in

grantway
    Free Member

rp16v I would recommend a Four line kite to be honest
    I would also say to take a look at the kite manufactures
    web site has they have a guide on all there kites and what
    there intended usage is.

I don’t know where you are but I found these guys great help
    in selecting the right kit for my Buggy.
    Also take a look at there second hand section.

Sporst Corner

convert

As an ex windsurfer (I say ex – still got the kit but rarely go out these days which means I’m crap when I do making it less fun which makes me less inclined to go again – the vicious circle of the busy middle aged and their toys!) I’m really drawn to kitesufing Countzero. Just looks like a lot less kit to have to carry around and more fun in lighter winds.

How much cash do you reckon to get started (for the kit – learning how to do could cost depending on who you know and how reckless you are feeling!). I’m loathed to buy secondhand as a clueless beginner as the kit has changed so much in last few years I can’t see it going well.

I’m getting a pay rise in a few weeks and this look like at least the third thing I’ve ear marked the money for already!

rp16v
    Free Member

just had a quick scour on the bay and thers a couple of 2.5m starter kits in 2 and 4 line,im in bristol unfortunatley all the kite shops here have gone under the closest would be ufo in weston.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Look at the PKD Buster range, even the 2m one is powerful but forgiving.
    HQ Beamers are the same. Beamers & Busters are 4 line kites so can be held in the wind window easily. They are well priced compared to flexifoil etc.and ideal for beginners.Powerkiteshop have good bundle deals and will advise you on what is suitable for you. Traction kites will tend to dump you on your face if not careful.Power kites are great fun!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Have a look at powerkiteshop.com. Lots of kit and very helpful with good mail order service.

mactheknife

Monifieth is calling, 20mph cross shore south westerlies 🙂

Grantway my pedantic head went right on there when u mentioned the incorrect usage of kite killers and my assumpton was it was directed at me. As stated i could not remember the correct terminology as it has been so long since i have used them but do the straps not depower the kite if let go??? I think they do 😀

rp16v be aware its a very addictive sport and a lot depends on your location if you want to landboard / buggy / kitesurf in the future. Luckily i live within 30 minutes of beaches that take clean wind in most directions. But if you just want to muck about in a field which looking back was one of the best bits of fun i have ever had ( takes you right back to being a kid again) then go for a 2 or 3m kite tops. But on a serious note buddy do your research, even a small kite has the ability so generate a lot of power, so take it easy, fly with others and ckeck out Kitecrowd as stated. And wear kitekillers, as grantway has so eloquently stated they kill all power to the kite if you let go but keep it attached to you.

Now go reasearch / buy one and have a blast. Now im off to the beach all day flying my 2011 vegas quiver. Now thats a kite i love. 🙂

rp16v
    Free Member

im aware of the costs involved im selling my nitro car stuff to fund it as that dousent get used anymore due to setup and maintanance i want something i can pack in a bag and go off for a hour with no messing about
    as for locations i have bristol downs,ashton court and the old air field in whitchurch is right on my doorstep i often see a few kites about there with and without boards,its definatley something il go ahead with but will have to settle with my sport kite untill pay day or a car sale depending what happens first and whats available

grantway
    Free Member

grantway
    Free Member

mactheknife – Member
    Monifieth is calling, 20mph cross shore south westerlies

Grantway my pedantic head went right on there when u mentioned the incorrect usage of kite killers and my assumpton was it was directed at me. As stated i could not remember the correct terminology as it has been so long since i have used them but do the straps not depower the kite if let go??? I think they do

Sorry Fella i don’t want to be petty But you are wrong
    Has the kite killer’s are designed to make the kite instantly fall
    to the ground.
    Where has your terminology is saying the kite de powers ?
    And in the kiting world a de powering kite is a larger kite in which enables you
    to decrease the size to a smaller kite to enable you to use in more gusty wind conditions
    when you wouldn’t be able to normally.

Just making sure the newbie gets the correct info

rp16v
    Free Member

i watched a few vids on killing setups am i right in thinking there only on 4 line setups i like the idea of having a kill cord if using a bar setup incase things get hairy

grantway
    Free Member

Gets some kite flying lessons

Kite Flying Clubs In Bristol

BrickMan

Costs?
    Get a paid lesson FIRST with a local instructor, make them aware you are a novice and are using the lesson to gain awareness of what gear is out there, and what might suit you.

Lesson £75-150

New kite, anything from £200-3000, but you’ll likely be in the £400-600 range for a half decent de-power (if thats the route you are going down)
    Harness, £50-80 for a basic sit or waist harness (sit = more comfortable for beginners/land only, waist for water/landboard)
    Landboard, £100 will buy you an aweful excuse for a board, but fine for beginner. £250+ for anything that you will still be using after even a few weeks
    Kiteboard, these are ALWAYS expensive, I spent £475 (and that was with about 40% off) on a nice carbon job a few years back, but promptly split it (used for maybe 7 or 8 days?) by landing on a well placed submerged rock. Beginner foam boards are about £130 last time I checked and you’ll be using that for quite a while I’d say.
    Wetsuit, its England, its cold out there! 6/8mm wetsuit is going to set you back at least £150

Then once you become completely addicted, you’ll be needing a VW t5 van conversion, a complete quiver of kites (for all winds).

I got out of it a few years ago as I simply couldn’t keep up with the amount of cash it takes to get out as regularly as I was, must be about 2years since I was last out, and now only have the ancient Peter Lynn kite, and little traction kite and an older carbon landboard which is now sporting a lovely great crack running along the deck. yeay.

knottie8
    Free Member

I have a peter lyn peel 5 metre two line you can have for peanuts .
    like this
    doesnt need a lot of wind but will drag your arms off !

rp16v
    Free Member

how many penuts we talking? may snap it up as my “next step after a starter kite”

splashdown
    Free Member

…Flying duvet… 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

rp16v
    Emailed you ref Kite .

gee68
    Free Member

I have a Peter Lynn Venom 13m for sale,only been flown 4/5 times so although an oldish kite now virtually brand new.This is not a starter kite(although very stable and forgiving to fly)and would be something to progrees onto.It can be used on land and sea but i just used it for boarding.

I also have an MBS board for sale which is in a similar condition to the kite.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘any kite flyers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.