Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Kinesis T or TK riders out there? (Darkside q)
  • kearos
    Free Member

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice. I am looking to replace my ageing, battered and slightly bent, thanks to a car bike interface (my fault), Raleigh M-Trax road bike.

I am looking at the Kinesis T and TK, probably second hand, but I seem to fall between the 54cm and 57cm sizes based on the geometry of current bike which fits me pretty well. I am 5’10” with a slightly short torso so don’t want to be too stretched out. Any advice/thoughts from owners on the sizing would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

billyboy
    Free Member

I’m about 5′ 11″/ 6′ ish, with 31″ inside leg. I’ve ridden a 54cm Racelight with a drop bar and it was far too cramped for me. I bought a 57cm Crosslight (I think they are pretty similar size but their website will have full measurements for comparison) which I have kitted out as a hybrid with 100mm stem and riser bar. I reckon a 90mm stem and a drop bar would be ok.

My guess would be that 54 would be too small for you and the 60 way too large, leaving you on the 57.

billyboy
    Free Member

Ring up Kinesis or Upgrade and ask their advice. In my experience they are helpfull and reasonably acurate.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I think you’ll need a 57cm. I’m 6ft with a pretty long torso and use a 57cm Racelight Tk.

BTW you’ve made a good choice they’re great bikes. Try to get a Tk rather than a T as they’re more comfortable.

Oh, and its “Dark Side” two separate words.

Jase
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and have a 57 Tk.

Although haven’t ridden it yet so don’t know if it fits 😆

glenp
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and an all-important half. My Tk is a 54. Kinesis did suggest a 57, but I looked at the eff top tube length and stuck to my own instincts. I fits me really well with a 100mm stem and compact ergo bars. If you are really short in the torso and arms you might want to go with the 54 – but the head tube is very short so you will end up with a lot of spacers under the stem.

Short answer – compare the eff top tube of the bike that does fit you and work from there.

At a guess – you would want the 57, possibly with an inline seat post and 100mm or even 90mm stem. Added benefit of the 57 is less chance of toe overlap, which you will get with the smaller one.

Great frame though – love mine.

rnagain
    Free Member

I’m a shade under 5’10 with long legs and short torso/arms. I’ve got a 54cm TK and it feels spot on for me, though i have flipped the stem now to get a little bit lower and more stretched out as I got used to more and longer road rides. Had it for 18 months now and have been very impressed with it as an all rounder. Pleased I chose it.

kearos
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice everyone. Sounds like either might work with a bit of tweaking to set up. I do like the thought of no toe overlap though.

Jase – have you ridden yours yet – any thoughts?

Cheers, Ian

Jase
    Free Member

Yes, rode it last Saturday and fits very well, think my stem is 100m.

Head tube is shorter than my similar sized 56cm Scott.

Was very impressed with how confy it was.

nbt

5’9″ here, Crosslight 4T. Mine’s a 54cm, not sure on the stem but around the 100mm mark, 1″ layback seat post (raceface XY). Little bit of toe overlap but I on;y notice that at very slow speeds.

glenp
    Free Member

I wouldn’t sweat about toe overlap to be honest. You’ll get used to it pretty damned fast. Better to get the correct top tube length first and sort everything else out after that.

Do you know what eff top tube you need? Just find that out and go from there.

kearos
    Free Member

Having had the tape measure out my current bike is right between the two in terms of effective tt (56 and a bit)and fits me pretty well with a 110 stem. Hmmm, think I will try and find one to sit on and go from there.

Cheers all

Ian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Kinesis T or TK riders out there? (Darkside q)’ is closed to new replies.