Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any keen swimmers on here?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

my wife swims breast stroke.always has done.she wants to learn crawl.she can do it a bit but is pretty poor to say the least.
    we all know pools do swimming lessons for kids,but do any do lessons for adults to hone there technique? or would she need to join a club or something for that?

ahwiles
    Free Member

my local pool does lessons for adults – with classes for all abilities.

if i go swimming on my own it's about £4, i can get 6 lessons for about £24.

swimming is all about technique, lessons help a lot – even if you think you know what you're doing. it really helps to have someone watch you and give feedback.

molgrips
    Free Member

They do lessons, yes.

You can also see videos online, and instructions. I used them to get down to a fairly reasonable time for my distances.

samuri
    Free Member

likewise, both our local pools do lessons for adults. Just ask at yours.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No where near me does adult lessons as I've asked before as I wanted some technique lessons as I kept getting a twinge in left shoulder if swimming distances ..stopped swimming in the end, do it intermittedly when I want to enter a triathlon!

Trekster

Always difficult to get someone who has swam/learned BS to do FC, esp adults. Does she swim head up out of the water?
    Need to start of with basics like push/glides/kicks/breathing/arms.
    For legs the terminology is kick from the hip, long legs, legs close together, point the toes with flexi ankles. This is the bit that breaststrokers find the most difficult so using a float/woggle to do leg only practices will be needed.

If your local pool does not do adult lessons have a word with one of their staff/teachers or find the club coaches if there is one, they may do private lessons.

HTTP404
    Free Member

i'm the opposite – i can FC pretty well and is all i do. when i try BS i fail miserably after 25metres. it's almost like i've got so good at one – i become so disappointed at the other stroke, i won't learn it.

iDave
    Free Member

find a total immersion class and do that rather than learning the wrong (most common) technique

adeward
    Free Member

our Local pool does adult lessons, either as a group or one to one,,

I am a memeber of the Oxford tri club and we have evening and morning coached sessions, for all abilities,, we do have some novice front crawlers ,,

the best tip i have been told about FC leg kick is imagine trying to kick your shoes off ,, it's all in the flick

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ade Ward I looked at Oxford tri club do they go out of Dragon School? wnated to find someone I could swim with but is it expensive to join? since doing shift work I couldn't attend regularly. Sorry for mini hijack. Ade e-mail in profile if you can help. thanks.

crazant
    Free Member

Amazing…

scoop
    Free Member
    Talkemada
    Free Member

crazant; that makes me feel really inadequate. 🙁

The bloke does 25m in about 20 seconds, and looks like he's not even trying.

I've just signed up for a 13-week 'Advanced' swimming course to improve technique, learn tumble turns and fitness training. I can currently do 1 mile in just under 30 minutes, but would like to get under 25 mins ideally. Not competition fast, but I'm quite happy. I'm never going to be super fast anyway.

£48.25. Not bad. That Art of Swimming place looks a bit pretentious, and is pretty expensive. And 30 degrees? Bit too warm for me.

hitman
    Free Member

I'm currently having swimming lessons on a one-to-one basis with the swimming development officer in our area who also coaches the local club. TBH since I've started I no longer go swimming for fitness. Instead I go to the pool and do 20-30mins of drills all designed to get me swimming correctly. Its quite mind blowing how much technique is involved and although I wasn't a really poor swimmer, I was doing a lot wrong. Giving out tips on-line is a bit like giving out tips on how to play the guitar, there's so many things that someone could be doing incorrectly and coaching will spot these and teach you how to correct the mistakes. One of the points I've learnt is how important good body position is in the pool and consequently a strong core is essential (the core exercises I'm working on suggest 3 1/2 mins plus for a front plank if you want to swim competitively).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any keen swimmers on here?’ is closed to new replies.