Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any IT folk got time to help?
  • Smudger666

Switched to BT infinity 36meg fibre package, home hub 5. No issues with the service but I have daisy chained an old Belkin router in extender mode to my office in the garden and connected an Internet phone to that with a cable.

All works well except for an annoying number of calls from random IPs like SIP1000@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and I can’t seem to find a way to block them. Neither can BT.

Any ideas?

Smudger666

Thanks for that, I hadn’t thought of googling the problem and putting ‘block SIP calls’ into the search bar.

any IT guys got any ideas?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

if you’re receiving calls then you either have firewall ports open and pointed to your phone or they are coming via your SIP provider.

If you have ports open, lock them down to the IP address of your SIP provider.
    If you don’t have ports open, contact your SIP provider and tell them to fix it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As above it sounds like you need to lock out your firewall to only accept traffic from your SIP provider

Out of interest is the router you’ve daisychained the one you were using with your old ISP? Have you cleared all the connection settings / disabled DHCP etc so it’s genuinely just acting as an extender.

Do you get the same issue if you disconnect the daisychained router and connect the phone direct to the BT router?

Reason I ask is that I had issues with one of our home users last year who inadvertently had two ADSL connections from two different providers (Sky and Eclipse) live on the same line! Not sure that’s possible with fibre however.

Smudger666

Well chaps, thanks for the ideas above – seems I need to access settings that aren’t available on the BT home[/u] hub5.

Eventually got the BT chat support guys to admit defeat and point me towards their paid for ‘tech experts’ – quickly identified the issue and advised.

Apparently, what I need ( because the home hub doesn’t support A business phone) is the BT BUSINESS HUB 5. which is a home hub 5 with the setting enabled. Sheesh. Still, there’s loads for cheap in eBay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any IT folk got time to help?’ is closed to new replies.