Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any issues with painting Ti?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Would like to get my front triangle painted and the rear one polished simple as that.
    But is keying the paint an issue?
    Never been a fan of plain old Ti………yawn.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been done, don’t think there’s any issues.

Kuco

Enigma do it as an extra.

Agree, plain Ti can look a bit boring.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the finish, some frames are shot penned which improves the material, polishing that obviously undoes that work. Whether it’s enough to cause issues is a different matter.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Would the supposed magical flex of titanium crack the paint?

wwaswas

You just need the same magically fleecy paint they use on zingy steel frames.

piha
    Free Member

Can’t see why not, IndyFab regularly paint their Titanium frames including this rather fetching Ti Deluxe that is on their Facebook page,

wwaswas

Fleecy paint? Wtf is that? Bleedin’ auto correct.

‘flexy’

nedrapier

fleecy like flocky?

Flock wallpaper your Ti frame!

BadlyWiredDog

Never been a fan of plain old Ti………yawn.

What colour scheme you going for then? Something super bright and gaudy I hope 😉

Always been a fan of plain old ti – I like the way it scrubs up… 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Never understood painted Ti.
    Why not get some cool stiickers made like that “Duirdh” bloke off here?

wwaswas

Painted Ti can look quite good;

tbh, it’s just a frame material. The reason most people leave it raw is they want people to know they haven’t got a steel frame 😉

TiRed

Well mine’s raw, but in an “etched doily” kind of way. I’d keep some of the front triangle raw, with some banding/painted bottom bracket. I think IF do this, and Seven.

Of course you will scratch it, as soon as it’s painted.

grahamb
    Free Member

I’ve got painted IF Ti & steel DL’s. I’d say IME that the paint doesn’t appear to adhere to the base metal on the Ti as well as on the steel. It’s certainly more prone to chipping down to bare metal, whether it’s stone chips, or more often the case, my hamfistedness refitting wheels etc. This doesn’t worry me personally, i expect the paint on my bikes to chip.

IF recommend giving the paint on their frames a chance harden for a couple of months after delivery. I did follow that (mostly).

psling
    Free Member

Ti with painted front triangle (by Spectrum, USA so not a lot of help to you in UK but an excuse to post an old photo 8) ):

GW
    Free Member

IF recommend giving the paint on their frames a chance harden for a couple of months after delivery. I did follow that (mostly).

Sounds like the perfect excuse not to ride of “that” type of rider 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

The only finisher I got round to calling said no.

BWD was going for Tangerine with a polished rear triangle, a few little touches like blue tape and gum hoods for a Molteni’esque look.

beanieripper
    Free Member

why would you buy a ti frame if you were gonna paint it? the only point in buying one is the finish, plus paint wont stick to unicorn stem cells

oldgit
    Free Member

Looks never came into it, nor did they for my race bike. Hence I have some minging but useful bikes.
    Boring race bike

Sleep inducing training bike,

My favorite bike and nicest looking one, (the winter hack) especially with the guards off!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any issues with painting Ti?’ is closed to new replies.