Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any iphone experts?
  • z1ppy

Anyone frequent the iphone forums?

G/f has the older 3G phone, which is running like a dog (slow), after upgrading the firmware (over a year ago, not a new firmware). Unfortunately most updates for her app’s and ibook (which I want to load – I’ve a load of ebooks) keep telling her she need to upgrade to firmware 3.2 – which actually mean version 4.
    As I don’t want to upgrade it and slow it down further (from what I’ve read – anyone tried it?), anyone heard of any way round this?

Don’t really want to jailbreak it (unless really necessary) , as it’s ‘her’ phone & I can’t afford to replace it if I break it…

pixelmix
    Free Member

The current version (4.2.1) isn’t too bad on my iPhone 3G, but it does benefit from being turned off and on again if you have had it on for a bit and used multiple apps.

The v4.0 software was the worst for sluggishness, but the current v4.2.1 isn’t too bad. It is a bit slow, but is perfectly useable, and probably no slower than what she currently has. 4.3 is due out soon, so who knows what that will be like. Rumours suggest that 4.3 may not work on the iPhone 3G at all.

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

I had Jailbroke 4.1 on my 3G. I only JB so I could run audio (Tunein Radio) in the background. It ran ok though you did have to keep quitting apps to keep it up to speed.
    Just upgraded it to 4.2.1 though it’s back in the box at the moment as I tend not to use it anymore.

As above, they do tend to benefit from a power cycle now and again.

If it’s already got 4.x on it I would upgrade it as it has got more usable with each release. You will probably notice a difference if you come from v3 though.

z1ppy

It’s still got version 3.1.3 on it, might try upgrading, I’ve seen all the info to downgrade it again if necessary.

Hey ho, cheers guys

CountZero

3G’s can run pretty slow, especially by comparison to the later models; less RAM, slower processor, etc. As?, installing the latest OS will certainly help. My old 3G feels pretty sluggish when I go back to it from the 4G. There are memory management apps available that help a lot, clearing the RAM out when it’s been in use for a while without shutting down. Made a huge difference on my 3G, and even the 4 benefits, a check on available memory sometimes shows as little as 30-40Mb available, clearing frees up another 100-150Mb. Makes a big difference.
    [edit] System Manager for iPhone and iPod Touch (59p) is a good thing to install, it’ll help clear running memory and keep track of battery power. [/edit]

Clobber
    Free Member

Turn off spotlight search

After upgrading to the latest OS..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any iphone experts?’ is closed to new replies.