Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Investor advisory types? Hypothetical question below.
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Let’s say you’re quite a cautious person, middle-aged with no property or assets, but no debts either. You get a windfall sum into six figures.
    How do you best nurture it for reasonable return (up to 40%), and for how long, keeping in mind this current financial climate?

Beer and xmas shopping are not legitimate options, although they would be given strong consideration.

Stoner
    Free Member

Is that 40% in real terms or nominal?

Id probably look at Retail bonds, maybe a FTSE tracker fund.

Retail bonds ought to get you around 5-6% nominal, so assuming 2.5%ish CPI you might see 3%ish real return pa.

FTSE ought to do a bit better but needs to be in there for 5-10yrs really.

Id allow at least 5 yrs if not 7 to get to 40% real return for reasonable risk.

julians
    Free Member

Go and see a real independent financial advisor, it will cost, but will be worth it.

If it was mine, I’d probably do the following:-

– use some of it as a deposit on property
    – put the full allowance in a stocks & shares ISA and buy a spread of funds.
    – Put some in a fixed term bond.
    – Keep the rest in the highest paying savings account I could find.

But the above wont make 40% return , unless you look at it over 10 years +.

To make 40% in the short term is going to take some serious risk taking,and more likely end up in losing a significant portion of it. how about buying £100k of bitcoins?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Thank you gents.

BigJohn

Peer to peer lending?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Investor advisory types? Hypothetical question below.’ is closed to new replies.