• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Inov8 wearing trail runners out there?
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Liking the looks/function of the Inov8 shoes but having always worn a classic shoe with a 10-12mm drop I’m somewhat curious about the change to a 4mm drop.

Anybody have experience of this?

matt_bl
    Free Member

I used some of their road shoes with a similar drop to that. If you run with a forefoot or midfoot strike you should have no problems, although I found them to be less cushioned than previous shoes (addidas and the like). The lack of cushioning did make them nice and light.

I was changing my running style at the time and so I was building up the distance quite slowly any way.

Matt

brant
    Free Member

I’d recommend gait analysis before going minimal after injuries I’ve had with zero and 3mm drop shoes in last year.
    They feel amazing on the right terrain but I think I’m just too wonky to use them.

nickc

I use their X-Talon 212.

drop is fine, TBH for off road you need to be close to ground that extra cushioning on regular road shoes can isolate you from the contours of the ground, and actually increase the chances of twisting your foot, especially on the rougher DH sections. I wouldn’t worry too much about changing your style if your a natural heel striker, your pace is naturally going to be a bit slower, so to impact on your feet isn’t as harsh.

you need them to fit properly, mind so be prepared to try a couple of sizes. and take it easy for the first couple of runs, it’s dead easy to twist and ankle or knee or hip.

sofatester
    Free Member

I’ve been running with them for a few years now, using both on and off road versions. Once you get into the mid/fore foot striking they are excellent. Though while making the transition your calves will take a pounding. Plenty of stretching and foam rolling will be needed, along with leaving your ego behind for the first few months while your ankle stabilizers strengthen.

Once you get used to it you’ll wonder how you ever thumped along on your heels for so long!

Daffy

I use VFFs whenever circumstances permit. People tend to freak out if I wear them in anything approaching a formal setting 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I bought some Trailroc 245’s for £40 because they were cheap. Didn’t have a clue about drop… still don’t. Find them very comfy, pleasure to run in, off road, on road wouldn’t want to do more than 2 miles. Nicest feeling shoes I’ve had.

But then you might not find them any good.

djglover
    Free Member

All my off road shoes are inov8. On the road I use NB 890v4 which have an 8mm drop I think. All the inov8 are less than that and the ones I use most are X-tallon with 6mm. So not a huge difference

For long winter training runs I use Roclite and they are indestructible, with pretty good cushioning IMHO

For summer I am mainly in X-tallon 212 for training and 190 for racing. But make sure that the terrain is pretty forgiving. The soles wear really fast on them though, kind of like the soft compound DH racing tyre!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Low heel takes some getting used to

Two pairs – plantar fasciitis with both. 🙁

Horses for courses

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m a natural mid to forefoot runner, so it not like I’m trying to change my style.

It more the difference in drop, as my road racing shoes which seem flat are 9mm.

However I appreciate how different trail is on the body having run a few distance races now.

Will seek out a pair and report back.

matt_bl
    Free Member

The other thing I have found with Inov8s is there is plenty of room at the front. You can lace them up nice and snug at the heel, but still leave loads of room for your toes to spread. An absolute must for me.

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs. Both almost completely different! One pair is a light trail shoe that’s more or less casual – loads of room in the toe. The other pair are snow type shoes with some studs, they were mega cheap on special offer and fit completely differently, with a very tight toe box, slacker heel, much narrower midfoot. So I’d guess it depends on the model.

I got them without a heel because I wanted to make it easier to avoid heel striking. I don’t run in them though, I use NB Minimus exclusively now.

Spin
    Free Member

I haven’t got a clue about gaits, drops and strikes but I’ve liked all the inov8 shoes I’ve had and can’t say I found them that different to any other running shoes I’ve used.

ajc
    Free Member

I have used roclite 315 for several years. They are medium cushioned and have a drop (not minimalist) great everyday trail shoe. Not tried any of their lower drop shoes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Inov8 wearing trail runners out there?’ is closed to new replies.