Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Any indoor climbers about – Tell me what to expect at Ratho (Edinburgh)
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Going there end of the month and really haven’t climbed anywhere other than local bouldering wall, Sunderland wall and Kendall wall.

Looks quite impressive

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s a climbing wall so like the others but more… It’s also the coldest place on earth in winter.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It’s a very large climbing wall and I think an excellent venue for an old skool rave, but the events manager didn’t see the potential for that. Loser!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d agree it’s pretty impressive – I haven’t climbed there myself but my wife and son have and some of the walls look pretty high.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

As its for my 7yr old daughter who was very impressed with Kendal wall, I think its going to be a bit more than just another wall, or at least I hope it is.

Have been told to pack cold weather gear as, even if the weather is improving it will still be cold.

Looked at a few you tube vids and I can see the ‘rave’ venue idea being amazing. Imagine a few injuries would occur on the centre boulders

GrahamS

Take heed of lemonysam – it can be absolutely baltic.

donncha

Nice bouldering section in a different room from the walls.
    The walls have different routes and grades like any climbing centre. The biggest difference I noticed was that the walls are much higher than other centres; you obviously don’t have to climb to the top but expect burning forearems if you do!
    Enjoy.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Daughter loves heights so that’s part of the attraction. I just end up with a sore neck from belaying.

Cant wait to go

giant_scum
    Free Member

As others have said really high and pretty cold even in summer! There used to be one of those ariel assault courses as well.

On a side note they are building a wavegarden on the other side of the Union Canal
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/ratho-quarry-to-be-turned-into-10m-surfing-centre-1-3618841

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Is there much there for non climbers to do? We will have family with us and don’t think sitting around keeping warm with a cup of coffee will get them through an entire day.

Is it located near anything of interest

rickmeister

Thought there was a cafe / restaurant there too..

Is the Skyride thing in the roof still running .. ? I really enjoyed it.

nickc

It’s not in Edinburgh it’s about 10 miles out, so there’s not a lot nearby, so yeah, you’re going to be sat in the cafe.

My two loved it, walls are pretty bloody high!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I noticed the skyride thing. Might be able to persuade my son to have a go but my wife and her parents will not be keen. Looks great fun.

I bought a 40m rope when we first started roped climbing a few months ago. It has quickly become apparent its not going to be long enough when we go to the bigger walls. I have never been up that high but daughter enjoys it other than the weight of pulling the rope through gets a bit tough near the top

jimmy

Ratho’s great. There’s also a Gym and a section for young kids (Scrambles) as well as the canal path nearby. If you don’t need to stick about take a walk to the Bridge Inn in ratho for some quality pub grub.

GrahamS

Is there much there for non climbers to do? We will have family with us..

Not been in a good while but there used to be a big play room with a bouncy castle, dress up, train sets, buggies to ride on etc (plus coffee on hand for the grown ups).

No idea if that is still there or not though.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Bridge Inn is indeed excellent – good food and good location overlooking the canal. Jupiter Artland is also nearby and also worth a visit.

Northwind

I shat it off the skyride thing, it turns out, it’s in the ****ing sky.

There’s some kiddy things to do- a soft play place and playroom, ceramic studio thing, as far as I know that’s all still open. Though I think they had to close their spa down. It’s pretty close to the canal centre at ratho which is pretty nice for a short visit, check out the boats etc, visit the pub… Not that much else around there though really, it’s a nice area though. Not far to livingston shopping centre if that floats their boat?

MrNice
    Free Member

[old git] I remember climbing at Ratho when it was an overgrown quarry [/old git]

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Your 40m rope won’t be long enough to get to the top of anything on the lead wall. You need 50m and there’s some walls which need a 60m rope. There’s plenty of top ropes on the smaller walls

poly
    Free Member

It’s also the coldest place on earth in winter.

You clearly never used “Hadrian’s Wall” that used to be in Falkirk then… it quite literally had frost on the holds in winter!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Great info guys.

The suggestion for the pub lunch is perfect. Wife, son and grandparents can disappear for a few hours and defrost for a few hours and have a walk by the canal.

Rope is definitely not long enough. Its a lovely weight though (9.5mm I think) so good for my daughter. The 60m 10.5mm weight one we used last weekend at Kendal weighed so much more and by 20m she was really struggling to pull it through (She lead climbs up to 25m so far). Will be looking at longer ropes soon but try to keep the weight down.

Only been doing this a year so everything is a new learning experience.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Mr Nice I believe there are still some ‘natural’ surface climbs left. I was hoping to get her on them as we have not climbed outside yet so hoped it would give her an insight to more natural holds etc

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh and as we have a few climbers about, anyone built a practice wall on an outside wall. I have a piece of wall I reckon I could get about 10ft on. 10-15dg slope should make it interesting enough for her to practice on.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and as we have a few climbers about, anyone built a practice wall on an outside wall. I have a piece of wall I reckon I could get about 10ft on. 10-15dg slope should make it interesting enough for her to practice on.

Lots of people do but it’s a really easy way to make climbing very, very boring. If you’re training to get strong then woodies are great but they need to be much steeper than that and they’re still duller than a very dull thing.

fasthaggis

I believe there are still some ‘natural’ surface climbs left

I don’t think they are in use.

If you have not been before ,that first walk up to the window is pretty WOW 🙂
    My son was in the kids climbing club there,we were never away from the place

It’s warming up a bit there now and the boulder room’s cosy 😉
    Have fun.

grum
    Free Member

The biggest difference I noticed was that the walls are much higher than other centres

The big wall is only 3m higher than the big wall at Kendal I think.

jimmy

Though I think they had to close their spa down

Nope, still open. They even seemed to have unlocked it so its free. They closed it for a while to un-grubbify it – got a bit manky in there.

I believe there are still some ‘natural’ surface climbs left

I don’t think they are in use.

Correct. Think that was on the original wish list to have “outdoor climbing indoors” but I’ve never seen any.

A couple of lovely climbs in the quarry itself, though. Must.. get back… there…soon…

Greg
    Free Member

It’s huge, and you’ll be needing a 60m rope if leading is on the agenda.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oa9XvQ]It's a big wall![/url] by GregT_, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/occiMp]Saturday morning intro[/url] by GregT_, on Flickr

Also, be aware that the BMC Youth Climbing Final’s are there Saturday 25th April

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We will be there for The finals Greg

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just checking your pics out Greg. My girls in cat E finals. Only 7 so not bothered how she gets on but really excited for the finals

Greg
    Free Member

Thats great to hear, so will we.

One thing we learn’t (and I would recommend) is to try and get there on the Friday and have a look around (and a bit of a climb). It’s a big place and its easy to get overwhelmed by it.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Traveling down on the morning unfortunately. Tbh I want the wow factor for her. So far everything has been wow so why not the final 🙂

Will look out for the Midlands hoodies.

rugbydick

We’ll be there too. Katy’s in the Girls’ Cat D final… look out for a Granite City Rockstars hoodie.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hello again guys.

Wow, what a place! Its huge and the climbing was fantastic. Really need to get some practice on bouldering with features as they were insanely difficult. The cold disappeared for me (Probably due to the adrenulin going).

Lily came 9th in her class which was pretty much what we were aiming for. Will be back next year to win it 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh and next year will be travel down Friday. 6.30am start and 9.30pm finish for us was too much. Will be booking a B & B next year.

giant_scum
    Free Member

It is a spectacular venue!

Well done on the 9th place, what age category was she in? My friend’s daughter came 3rd in her’s (think she is maybe 11)!

fasthaggis

Well done OP ,glad you all had a good time,it’s a great place.
    I was my lad’s belay monkey for years ,I kinda miss that buzz of the comp finals,happy days.
    A fantastic sport and has set my son up for life with something he really enjoys and has made some good friends through. 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Cat E. She has only just turned 8 this month and has only been climbing 12mths. With the experience of this year and what we have seen I am pretty confident we can put up a good fight next year for No1.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Fasthaggis that’s one of the reasons I wanted her to try climbing. Such a nice atmosphere and sense of friendship from everyone.

Greg
    Free Member

9th is excellent, well done to her!!

Luke came 15th in Cat C Boys, and will still be in Cat C next year, so he’s pretty chuffed with that.

Have you seen the setter’s grade sheet for this year? Cat C had 6c, 7b & 7c leads and V4, V5 & V6 Boulders!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Any indoor climbers about – Tell me what to expect at Ratho (Edinburgh)’ is closed to new replies.