Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Any ideas to help me choose something for a 1 year old?!
  • bearnecessities

Short story – good friend of old I’ve not seen for years, meeting for lunch next week – it’s the first birthday of her only bab a few days later (that I’ll be meeting for first time at said lunch).

All I know of this minature person, if she likes birds – more specifically, watching them in the park etc (the flying sort, you dirty gets). So, would be nice to get something related to the only piece of gen I’ve got on her.

So far I’ve thought maybe a book with birds in. Not very imaginative though and would be nice to get something… a bit more special?

You lot can be pretty imaginative, help!

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just make it something that doesn’t make too much noise. 😀

(FWIW, books are always welcome to parents – we were never disappointed with those as presents). Wooden building blocks are nice. A bird on wheels that she can pull along behind her as she learns to walk might also be nice.

All depending on your budget of course.

andyrm
    Free Member

A neighbour bought a little bird house/feeder thing for our daughter’s first birthday a few weeks back. She loves it as she can watch the birds (and squirrels) coming down to feed.

Might be an idea?

sweaman2
    Free Member

“That’s not my bird” (Not sure if title exists)
    That’s not my penguin (Does exist as have it at home for sweajnr1)

binners

The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland pop up books are truly wonderful things, that you can read to them, and they can read themselves as they get older. A good friend got both my daughters them for their first birthdays. They’re lovely things.

neilthewheel

She’s 1 ffs. Give her an empty cardboard box to unwrap.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, complex pop-up books for a 1 yr old!

They are lovely, but wait until the kid is 5 or 6 I say.

But at 1 yr old – a bird-themed mobile, bird-themed cuddly toy or (as above) bird-themed books (chewable).

johndoh
    Free Member

Our two like these (they tweet when stroked and you can record noises on them too)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2488400.htm

But they are six however and I don’t think they are robust enough for younger kids.

You can also get matching cages for them.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2497707.htm

crankboy
    Free Member

Books are good . at one for bird lover “wow said the owl.”
    we for middle class reasons read to crankbrat every night for reasons of stupidity he gets 4 stories. we as the readers desperately crave fresh books preferably short ones .

JoeG
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

short ones

Not really bird related, but the Maisy books are fantastic.

doris5000

a Skoda Octavia VRS

crankboy
    Free Member

Maisy is a life saver if he has been a git or I have had a rough day he gets 4 in a very quick row.

bensales
    Free Member

At age 1 and now at 18 months, my daughter would like shoes. Any kind of shoes. any size of shoes, doesn’t matter.

I’m hoping this addiction tails off before she’s 18 but I suspect not.

Speeder

That popup book will last less than 5 minutes before it’s shredded and the parent feels horrible because it was a gift and it’s ruined – don’t do it.

bearnecessities

Some great suggestions for me to shop about this weekend, sure one of them will be viable and failing that, book!

Thank you 🙂

edhornby

I logged in to write the exact same words as speeder 🙂

Anything by Julia Donaldson, the parents can stomach reading them over and over; The Snail and the Whale is genius, if she does have it she can swap it for another

cbike
    Free Member

Cardboard Box. Most used pressies ever at that age.

beefheart
    Free Member

Coke and hookers!

grantmccall63
    Free Member

See if you can get a hold of an wooden double decker red bus. Habitat used to do the and they have loads of little people in them

We have seen 4 kids captured by this over the yeArs. It may need to be out of touch for a little while but it will be a present that will ensure for years

unovolo
    Free Member

One of these

and a long piece of string

bearnecessities

Think I’d struggle to get hold of the string; otherwise a great idea.

Bregante
    mrhoppy

Apollo the Swallow by Julia Donaldson.

johndoh
    Free Member

Julia Donaldson? Gotta be The Gruffalo, A Squash and a Squeeze or The Smartest Giant in Town. Never been that convinced by the other stuff (apart from the educational stuff).

crankboy
    Free Member

DO NOT BUY the rhyming rabbit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the rhyming rabbit.

If only the fox got him at the beginning. 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Birds lay eggs

squirrelking
    Free Member

Julia Donaldson? Gotta be The Gruffalo, A Squash and a Squeeze or The Smartest Giant in Town. Never been that convinced by the other stuff (apart from the educational stuff).

I can assure you The Snail and the Whale is worth it. My missus almost cried 😛

Mobiles may or may not be worth it, mine certainly wouldn’t have been interested at that age (though they will grow back into it). Child may be beginning to walk so a pull along might be good.

1-shed
    Free Member

If you want to be creative and right on, make up a heuristic play basket. It would take a little bit of time and effort but that’s no bad thing. http://littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/Articles/Treasure_basket enjoy your shopping.

maccruiskeen

A badge / tshirt / tattoo that says

“I am one.
    Are you one too?”

@binners
    I’m not sure the popup Alice in Wonderland’s ‘Iberian Slap’ gesture is all that suitable for youngsters 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I can assure you The Snail and the Whale is worth it.

Don’t like that one at all.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A wet nurse.

Kiddie will be happy and quiet and it’ll give your friend a bit of a break.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Any ideas to help me choose something for a 1 year old?!’ is closed to new replies.