• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by peak.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any ideas for a cheap biking holiday?
  • peak
    Free Member

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I’ve got a ton of holidays to use up before the end of the year and I really fancy spending it riding my bike! Can anyone suggest some cheap biking holidays? I’m afraid all my mates have either used up their holidays or have prior commitments so I figured a “package” type trip. I don’t wanna blow thousands though; I’m afraid of roughing it a bit but wondered the collective could throw a few ideas my way. I’m looking mid November right up until Christmas.

Thanks

tinsy
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was looking at this yesterday.

The Tower to Tower route.

http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.html

jambalaya
    Free Member

1) book a midweek session with Jedi and add on some riding in a convenient location

2) Riviera Bike – a group from my LBS have gone to Molini this week and Riviera operate year round

3) UK road trip, why not make a list of places/trails you want to ride and get out there. Midweek B&B/small hotels are pretty cheap now.

karen805
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get away and do a Welsh road trip, starting south and working my way up, hitting both the trail centers and the more natural trails for a mix of riding. Plenty of nice B&B’s to stay in, lots of nice riding to be done.

juan
    Free Member

Get a map and explore all by yourself 😉
    You could ride from Dorset to Scotland for example.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done a few long weekend road trips this year.

Decathlon 2 person pop up tents takes me + duffbag, arrive in car at midnight, tent up and asleep within 20min. Up at the crack of dawn, tent packed in 5 min, sleeping kit back into duffbag. Then if I’ve been cheeky use the campsite showerblock, otherwise it’s a freezing cold dip in a lake. Fry-up on a beach after a 7am swim in Derwent water whilst watching the mist clear was a highlite of this year having camped halfway up Skiddaw.

Most weekends have cost no more than petrol and food, Scotland proving the most expensive after paying for parking at GT and Inners £11 for 2 nights pfffttttttt, should have slept in a layby!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

But isn’t parking £3 a day?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon=thisisamiserablebastard

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Book a week between the yha’s in Ambleside and Keswick, and knock yourself out.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

id second having done riviera bike this year…very good value..just dont do what i did and decide your going within a week cos the flights cost over £600.. 🙄

turboferret

I had a great week last Nov/Dec mainly camping and riding all of the 7Stanes. Was cold and a bit wet, so a couple of days where I was in a timber tent or bunk-house to dry out kit was appreciated.

piccies

Cheers, Rich

Trekster

Weather is much the same atm Rich 🙄 Certainly would’nt fancy pitching a tent 😐

pudd
    Free Member

What about camping in the garden, then riding around it during the day.

peak
    Free Member

The Riviera bike thing looks good, I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow. I did think about mid week b&b’s or the camping teepees and doing 7stanes… I can hack a couple of days in the cold but a whole week might be a bit much for me!

Forgive my ignorance but who’s Jedi??

peak
    Free Member

haha, cheers pudd but I don’t have a garden! I sometimes make a tent in the livingroom out of the sofa and my duvet tho

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

If ya goto riviera take pads(both types) spare tyre,tubes….it’s tough on bikes,but truly ace riding!

ianv
    Free Member

One word of caution about the southern med. November tends to be the rainy season so although the riding in around the French/Italian border is indeed wicked, you might end up getting washed out. I was down round Frejus/Nice/Sospel last year in mid November and the rain was horrendous. Locals told me its pretty normal for that time of the year.

If it was me, I would be thinking Spain or Portugal (Algarve) as more appropriate (sunny) venues.

peak
    Free Member

Portugal would be nice, can you recommend any decent companies out there?

ianv
    Free Member

Portugal would be nice, can you recommend any decent companies out there?

have been with this lot

http://www.freeriderepublic.com/ride-with-us/

Excellent, close to Faro but fairly downhill orientated.

Don’t know anything about this lot but close to some good riding:

http://www.rideportugal.com/

Potdog
    Free Member

You should be able to pick up a good deal for a trip HERE if you look around. Weather is great and riding better. If I do say so myself 😳

davidisaacs
    Free Member

you will not find better value than http://www.bikingandalucia.com, best climate, Sierra Nevada, southern Spain.

peak
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think the way I’m going is to spend the week in the UK but split it between a few days in Scotland around the 7 stains and a couple of days in Wales. My regular riding buddies are up for a week away in the Alps next year so I’ll leave the foreign trip till next year. Looking at Trail brakes up in Scotland as I don’t know the area and don’t really fancy riding about on my jack, unless anyone has any other suggestions or fancies hooking up for a few days back end of November? I then thought I’d meet up with a few pals in CyB or degla for a spin round there as it’s only a couple of hours from home. I guess this will save me a bit of money as well

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any ideas for a cheap biking holiday?’ is closed to new replies.