Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • any ideas?
  • cocker
    Free Member

took my bike in for some repairs/service last week as I was doing a 70 mile ride on Saturday,and the brakes were worn and there was a clicking noise when pedalling.
    got it back on Friday evening,it had full service gear cables,brake pads,bearings in the suspension,pedals.
    set off on saturday morning,and after the first 10 mins the ticking sound was back,and it seemed to get worse as the day went on.not completely sure where the noise is coming from,but the guys on the ride said it was when I was pedalling.
    anyone got any ideas/pointers?
    thanks

z1ppy

Worn pedal bearings? Or dirt in your BB?

rOcKeTdOg

I’d have said pedals, but if they’ve been serviced as you say

tinsy
    Free Member

Flippin nuisance that sort of thing, sadly it could be just about anything from the stem rearward, you will just have to work through everything.

It is not really any fault of the shop it just happens & is annoying.

dannybgoode

Just ruling out the simple here – have you checked things like the end of the front mech cable catching on the crank?

I have been caught out by that one before…

Cheers

Danny B

cocker
    Free Member

cheers,
    the pedals are brand new ,and i’d asked them to look at the bottom bracket while it was in the shop.
    starting to worry me now

z1ppy

trouble is that grit in the BB isn’t obvious until you put pressure on it when pedaling, it’ll still ‘spin’ fine when turned by hand. That’s not to suggest the BB is even bust, just got crap in it. Most LBS will not be interested in stripping and re-greasing your BB, they will just replace it… be aware of that.
    This all assume you have a HT II BB, as they ‘suffer’ from this IME.

p.s. I missed the pedals being new in the OP

tinsy
    Free Member

OK, things to take appart and grease up, I fit everything with a smear of grease on for just this reason & so it does not seize.

Bars to stem
    stem to fork
    seatpost to frame
    seatclamp
    seatpost to saddle rails
    skewers or whatever you have for holding wheels in

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d second checking the front mech cable.

I’ve also had clicking with pedals before – are they Eggbeaters? I had a set that was terrible for it, even after I pumped fresh grease through them

munrobiker
    Free Member

Grease the chainring bolts. That’s one spot that’s very difficult to find but can creak like mad. Also try taking off your saddle and cleaning it and the seatpost clamp really well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.