Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any idea how to unlock an iphone for free..
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

Just been given a 3gs but its an o2 iphone and I want to use it on orange
    any ideas ..?

Drac

Original owner can ask O2 to do it IIRC.

Cougar

That.

Militant_biker

Read a lot of posts before you do owt. If it’s running the latest software, it can be tricky to unlock depending on which baseband it is running. Or, worse, you might get it to turn into a brick 😆

I used Pwnage from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ to do the jailbreak, and then I either ultrasn0w or redsn0w from Cydia.

You could also try http://www.jailbreakme.com/ – I’ve not used this but it is supposed to be a one stop jailbreak. I guess you’d then use ultrasn0w or redsn0w again.

If it’s running really old software, you might be able to use Bootneuter after the jailbreak. That worked on a first gen iPhone I got hold of.

Drac

Or just ring O2.

peteimpreza

Jail breaking is not unlocking.

O2 will unlock the phone for free to the original owner.

My advice is stick with O2 . The good lady has a 3GS on Orange and the quality of the service is shocking compared to mine on O2

transapp
    Free Member

first response is right. The ORIGINAL owner of the phone will get it ulocked by O2 (vodaphone have an online form to fill in, possibly O2 as well) for nothing.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That program that sounds like a sexual disease mentioned above is what most of the phone shops use, bricked mine though 🙁

CountZero

That program that sounds like a sexual disease mentioned above is what most of the phone shops use, bricked mine though

Because that’s jailbreaking, not unlocking; two completely different things. Unlocking allows a handset to be used on any network just by changing the SIM. Phone firmware unchanged.
    Jailbreaking means the handset is still locked to the original network, but unofficial Apps from other sources can be used. The OP wants the phone unlocked. That’s free, and done by the original network. Clear now?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Buy an O2 sim. Top it up, make a few drop calls to activate, then fill in the O2 web form they will take £20 iirc off yer credit and unlock the phone.

Other than that Gevey interposer aim tray.

Militant_biker

If the original owner can’t get it done through 02, jailbreaking has to be done before unlocking can take place, or at least that was the case when I did mine. The ‘apps’ to unlock are in the Cydia store, accessed through a jailbreak.

The OP was looking for ideas. Getting the original owner to go to 02 is one idea. If that doesn’t work, jailbreaking to get an unlock is another idea. I fail to see quite why people have got snappy over it!

singlecrack
    Free Member

well decided to just get an o2 sim for now and see what the coverage is like where I live.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Militant_biker – Member
    If the original owner can’t get it done through 02, jailbreaking has to be done before unlocking can take place, or at least that was the case when I did mine. The ‘apps’ to unlock are in the Cydia store, accessed through a jailbreak.

The OP was looking for ideas. Getting the original owner to go to 02 is one idea. If that doesn’t work, jailbreaking to get an unlock is another idea. I fail to see quite why people have got snappy over it!

Very well put, I wasn’t about to defend my post, as although it may be shallow, I can’t see the point as it makes no odds to me. But all of the iphone’s I have seen that have been unlocked have used Cydia to do so, that may not be definitive, but just my experience.

Cheers.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Well that didn’t go well tried to do a firmware update on itunes …turned out my phone was prob jailbroken as I now have an Apple paperrweight. Grrr

Jamie
    Free Member

Why do you have an Apple paperweight? All you should have is a iPhone with newest firmware on it, and everyones posts above about getting 02 to sort it still apply.

simon_g

Put it in DFU mode, put new firmware on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl5mXtmBusE

singlecrack
    Free Member

Came up with error 1015 code and is stuck in restore but will not restore

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Came up with error 1015 code and is stuck in restore but will not restore

If you have Cydia in your apps then it has been jailbroken, I got the same fault, went to 95% on the restore then ‘failed’, regardless of apple putting it in DFU mode, apple have no solution other than a replacement, that’s not to say that someone else cant fix it, just that apple will just refuse to fix it unless you pay for an apple fix & that will cost over £100.

singlecrack
    Free Member

No Cydia app was on the phone I checked before to see if it was Jailbroken.
    Guess I’ll ring apple and find out.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Ok Its all fixed now
    Had it jail broken as well and unlocked so I can use any sim.
    Just out of interest why do people jailbreak there iphone’s
    what are the benifits if any.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

People break them so they can use non big A approved apps, that or they like to boast to their mates in uni that they cracked an Apple 😉

BTW, as I said earlier in the thread, jailbreaking seems to be a by product of the unlocking process, hence most JB phones are unlocked to any network.

Cheers.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any idea how to unlock an iphone for free..’ is closed to new replies.