Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Hungarian Vizsla owners out there?
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got one and his nearly 8 months now and I was wondering how old yours was when you took him/her out riding?

BearBack
    Free Member

BBB trail dog Alfie is a Vizsla.

He probably ran to early.. so hold off a bit.
    wait till at least a year for anything significant.
    8mo is too young for a ride imo. Like anything, start easy work up as he gets older. all our dogs are 1.5-2 hr maximum or they are DONE!

we waited till our lab/shep/wolf/bear cross (native indian reserve rescue dog) was 12mo before unleashing her with a bike.. possible still too early, but she has evidence of weak hips.

Plenty of trail pigs of Alfie kicking about… including shimano’s old xtr web site!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Cheers for that, just remembered you guys had one. Just sent you mail on your web site.

dreednya

whats the best way to train them, we’ve got four (two smooths and two wireys), and to be honest they’re all a bit looney?

One shows some promise when I cycled past them the other day i’d be a bit worried about other cyclists and then there is the subject of sheep, but if I satyed within the forestry then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Mines a loony too, I’m lucky enough to have a fairly big garden which I ride around very slowly, at first he was bouncing around and up at me, and had a couple of near misses where he could have gone under the front wheel. Vizslas seem to learn quickly, that’s what the breeder told us and she was right. Off the lead he responds to the whistle which I find works well even if he’s saying hello to other dogs and if he loses sight of me. Just have to wait until he stops growing and then were off riding.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Hungarian Vizsla owners out there?’ is closed to new replies.