Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Any horse owners? What treats can I safely give a horse?
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

There are some ponies and a donkey down the lane where I walk regularly. I always stop to say hello to them, have a chat, and give them some attention. They’re a semi-neglected bunch.

Is there any kind of treat I can give them? I’m not about to give them polo mints.

Thanks in advance,
    SB

wwaswas

the grass from just over the other side of the fence always seems to be enough for the horses I meet or some smack.

Klunk
    Free Member

they absolutely love polo mints. go nuts for them 😀

crikey
    Free Member

They like going to the zoo, and donkeys love the seaside..

Stoner
    Free Member

carrots or apples.
    And polo mints.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, grass would be the best choice. Failing that, a carrot is always appreciated by many, as are polos as noted above!

That said, I know a lovely big grey who’ll nearly bite my arm off for a pint! 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Horses, in my experience, bloody LOVE carrots. Grass comes a close second.

MrNutt
    Free Member

amphetamines and a walkman with “the best of 2unlimited”.

Donkeys are now and forever have been thoroughly out of fashion, so much so they are actually fashionable. unfathomable.

warton
    Free Member

I bet a horse would like a nice steak pie you know. Or a sausage roll.

z1ppy

Mints, G/f’s horse loves extra strong mints
    Please be wary DO NOT always treat the animal every time you see them, as they can become bolshie. Then can come to expect it everytime some one comes up to see them. In the case of a large horse this can cause issues, treats are to be given when a reward is due, not as a given.
    As told to me by my horse owning better half.

MrGrim

Subway Veggie Deluxe (hearty Italian bread only).

stratobiker
    Free Member

Lol, you lot are so funny 😉

Thanks everyone…

Carrots it is then. There’s hardly any grass at the moment, and I,m not buying mints ‘cos I’ll end up eating lots myself.

SB

Cougar

If you’re feeding horses, use the flat of your hand with your fingers together and straight, unless you feel that you’ve got too many fingers.

cheez0
    Free Member

this could so easily go very wrong,
    given the urban dictionary-type threads on here of late.
    😀

warton
    Free Member

be sure to peel them. Carrot skin is poisonous to a horse.

wwaswas

A horse tried to eat my brothers hair once. He was 6, blonde and clearly stood to close to the fence.

It was nothing to do with me putting some grass on top of his head, officer.

Klunk
    Free Member

Mints, G/f’s horse loves extra strong mints
    Please be wary DO NOT always treat the animal every time you see them, as they can become bolshie. Then can come to expect it everytime some one comes up to see them. In the case of a large horse this can cause issues, treats are to be given when a reward is due, not as a given.
    As told to me by my horse owning better half.

use to work weekends at some racing stables in bristol while i was at uni, used to tease the top horse there, give all the horses a couple of mints as you walked down the stable and ignore him, you would get such an expressive response of indignation from him.

DM52
    Free Member

cut the carrots in half down the middle to ensure the horse is still standing next time you feed it. They are a greedy bunch and sometimes forget the chew their food, carrots being carrot shaped have been known to plug their airways.

Stoner
    Free Member

be sure to peel them. Carrot skin is poisonous to a horse

😈

supertramp
    Free Member

I am a horse owner and I woul be happy if people stopped giving treats to my animals. A bit of fuss and attention yes, food NO!

Cougar

Put a sign up.

druidh
    Free Member

Most horse owners I know would prefer that you didn’t feed their horses. You don’t know what allergies/illnesses they might have and it can encourage bad behaviour.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Carrots can make them go a bit sparky. They may be children’s ponies (we have two) and young child + sparky pony = not clever. Personally I’d rather people didn’t feed ours, although I know it does happen.

pedalhead
    Free Member

oh, plus it encourages the pony to expect food when a hand pokes over the wall…nibble nibble..little hand…ouch.

Stoner
    Free Member

They’re a semi-neglected bunch

given that ^ and that the OP is in France where these horses are probably one step away from the glue factory….Im sure a carrot or two is not going to turn them into child killers.

pedalhead
    Free Member

well I suppose it depends on what basis their “semi neglected” status has been diagnosed 😉 . Our two ponies look like proper muddy Thelwells most of the time but in actual fact they get lots of love & attention.

Stoner
    Free Member

as long as there’s a “leg at each corner” 😉

Bunnyhop

I used to own a pony and was amazed at the rubbish that the public would feed her. I caught one women sharing her salmon and cucumber sandwiches, I know she meant well, but really.

For a treat I would give a little bit of carrot, or if you can get hold of some pony nuts, just a handful.

Blimey – Stoner where did you get that picture of me ^^?

Stoner
    Free Member

is your mane really as fullsome as that ^ ?

geoffj

in France where these horses are probably one step away from the glue factory the nearest charcuterie ..

FTFY

supertramp
    Free Member

there may be hundreds of people who walk past them every day and if they all gave them “just a hanfull” they would soon have heath problems. I may cook up a load of sausages and start feeding them to other peoples pet dogs, perhaps a bit of pork pie or some left over toffees from the Christmas Quality Streets tin – Doh. . . .

Bunnyhop

Lol @ Stoner – I wish.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone. Don’t worry, I’m not about to overdo it.

I live about 500 meters away from them. It’s a cul de sac. No one comes near them for days/weeks on end. There’s other horses further down, they get looked after just about every day. The ones I’m talking of get nothing.

Perhaps I should just stick to chatting with them. The donkey likes having his ears tickled.

SB

godzilla
    Free Member

Feeding the pony lol.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ketamine, start with a dose of about 100mg and work your way up until you see equine bliss 🙂

lauranauder
    Free Member

if you can get hold of some pony nuts, just a handful

I’m sure that would cheer them up!

wallop

I had a horse when I was younger – through the use of a fist of pony nuts I taught him to give me a kiss on the cheek on demand. RIP Thomas 😥

stratobiker
    Free Member

awh wallop. RIP Thomas.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Any horse owners? What treats can I safely give a horse?’ is closed to new replies.