Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any horse owners in? Insurance question
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

We’ve just taken ownership of a pony but we also have a horse on loan which we ride

Presumably we need public liability cover for both the pony and whoever rides the horse?

br
    Free Member

My wife has horses and has never had insurance – do you have insurance for riding a bike?

fisha
    Free Member

Public liability would be good. The rest is really a discussion with the insurance companies as you can tailor insurance a great deal depending on what you do with the horse and pony.

I.e. You can cover basic hacking out and leisure riding but not 3 day eventing or cross country etc etc. The horsey forums will have insurance threads a plenty.

Not allinsurers like to pay out, some can be complete a holes about paying out.

demonracer

World horse welfare do a membership that includes public liability, best to check the terms and conditions to see if it covers what you want though. https://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/Member

fisha
    Free Member

We’ve got to the point that we have cut back on it and minimise the cover as we’ve found a lot of vet bills hav been footed by ourselves directly due tto the exces s amounts. It’s at the point of just having public liability and probably worth just putting money aside as a pot to pay the vet bill.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – not fussed about vets bills just public liability – which yes I do have for cycling as well

Just debating if it’s the horse or the rider that is insured

tjagain

most of us have public liability insurance ie third party for riding bikes thru our household insurance. I do – I checked after aracer pointed this out. dunno if the same works for horse tho

fisha
    Free Member

My wife has a horse and though it’s insurance has rider insurance which means that the riding school at the stables we are at will let her take out one of the school horses herself.

I don’t have rider insurance so if I want to take out a horse for a hack, I have to be accompanied by one of the riding school staff.

So it’s not really clear who has to have what.

demonracer

“The cover is extended to any person given the member’s permission to use the member’s horse and any groom employed by the member in connection with the member’s horse.”

On the WHW T and C page would suggest it’s the horse.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any horse owners in? Insurance question’ is closed to new replies.