Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Honda tech out there?
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m getting the cambelt changed in a 2002 Accord 2.0. It is it’s first cambelt. Should I get the waterpump changed at the same time even if it looks ok?

Quotes back from garages – some say yes – some say no.

Marko

Golden rule:

If the waterpump is driven by the cambelt always replace it

Marko

Earl
    Free Member

I just rang Honda service department – and they say they will inspect and replace the water pump only if necessary!???

Murray

Marko++

Ring the garage and tell them to change the pump at the same time.

Earl
    Free Member

If the waterpump is driven by the cambelt always replace it

Is this based on
    a) Waterpumps that run of cambelts suffer more wear so it shoudl be changed.

or

b) Everything is off anyway so might as well do the water pump at the same time – even though it might be ok now – its unlikely to last till the next cambelt change.

I’ve always been told with engine parts – if it ain’t broken – don’t touch it.

Marko

@ Earl:

Well mostly b), but what tends to happen is that the (slight) change in tension with a new belt fitted kills off the waterpump – not straight away neccessarily, but after a few miles.

I’ve always been told with engine parts – if it ain’t broken – don’t touch it.

A myth propagated by engineers and old school mechanics.

Hth
    Mark

Earl
    Free Member

Good one Marko – I will get it done.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Get it done.
    I speak from bitter experience- I had a cam belt fail only 15k after it had been changed- I hadn’t replaced the waterpump and it seized. £800 repair bill for the sake of an extra £40 to fit a new pump.
    Fit a genuine Honda pump- it won’t be much extra and it’s peace of mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Honda tech out there?’ is closed to new replies.