Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any Honda CR-V owners?
  • franksinatra

Mrs S needs a new car, Honda CR-V has hit the shortlist. So looking to the STW knowledge bank on the following:

Which engine (looking for petrol, economy rather than grunt)?
    Which spec, likes a few bells and whistles but not at any price?
    Are they good to drive and live with? 30 mile round commute on b roads, out and about the houses and farms during the day (rural GP)?
    Any problems to look out for?

Will be looking at used, budget up to about £15k.

Thanks

woffle
    Free Member

can’t comment on the latest iteration but we loved our old 2 litre petrol CR-V – it was the ‘sport’ version with half-leather, aircon etc. Interior was bomb-proof; held up well to two young kids + dog. We bought it from a Honda dealership for 11K and put 70,000 miles on her over next five year. Only cost above and beyond servicing (independent) and MOT was a seatbelt stalk and dealing with the fuel tank being drilled and drained when parked up at the local station (it’s apparently easy to access through the rear wheel arch). Coped admirably well with rural roads and winter snow. Was comparatively thirsty which was the reason we sold it – for a short school run with toddlers it was v.inefficient.

My parents loved it so much they bought the top-spec diesel with all bells and whistles. They put 100K on theirs trouble free.

I’d buy another now we’ve no short runs to deal with.

covertbaz
    Free Member

I have a 2014 2.2 diesel and it’s ace, goes well,plenty of space. It’s the EX in terms or spec, so electric everything, sat nav, full leather, panoramic glass roof to name a few toys

Very economical, regularly get over 40mpg

Could do a lot worse in my opinion

13thfloormonk

First car I’ve ever owned (although technically we’re ‘leasing’ it from my wife’s folks).

2.0 litre diesel, 2010. If you do end up looking at a diesel just check to see if it’s had any issues with the fuel return pipework (can corrode and need replacing) and the EGR pipe under the bonnet (can crack resulting in exhaust gas coming out of the bonnet…). Both known issues and Honda actually repaired the fuel pipework gratis, on what was technically a third hand vehicle. Depending on mileage and model year I believe they might actually replace EGR pipe free also.

spyke85
    Free Member

Avoid the 1.6 petrol. I was running one for a while when my grandad passed away. It was gutless, and terrible on fuel!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It was either a CRV or an Xtrail for us, ended up with a 63 Xtrail but maybe cos it had a towbar, custom dog guard, privacy windows & a panasonic sunroof.

If we’d come across a similar CRV we may have got that.

(Xtrail is a 2.0 ltr Cdi & doing 42 mpg but I’ll get more on the way to Fort Willy in a couple of weeks)

TiRed

2009 diesel with all the extras. It’s just a tool for moving lots of stuff economically and in comfort; Large boot, takes a bike with wheels on, flexible, reliable, not as economical as you might hope. We had a Mk2 before this one, and I preferred that for bike lugging. They are getting lower and more car like.

I’d probably go for petrol next time, we struggle to get 40 mpg.

mav12
    Free Member

2009 petrol ex here love it very comfy, 33 to 35 max on a run 25 around town, 15k should get you a couple of years old low mileage model, ex spec are a grand or to more. But are very nice

Alphabet

I had one for about 5 years and put 20k a year on the clock. No complaints apart from fuel economy (mine was a 2ltr petrol). Great for bikes and camping and great for use in snowy conditions. Mine was an 06 plate.

badgerbater
    Free Member

2009 EX 2.0L petrol here. I’ve just taken ownership so difficult to make too many comments. Bought to replace a 2014 Qashqai diesel company vehicle which I really liked. Performance wise it seems just as nimble, but it feels a heavier car and I think I’m going to notice the fuel economy, as others have said, swopping from the diesel vehicle. But there’s far more boot space and cabin room. I was also surprised by the lack of roll around corners; handles just as well, if not better than the Qashqui.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Models have changed a bit over the years, as per most cars they have got bigger, for your budget you should get a newer shaped one. Basic specs are pretty good (Japanese cars tend to come with set specs with buyers just choosing one spec level rather than stacks of individual options). As above not the most economical. I have one on my wishlist (inc Toyota Rav 4). Have owned a few Toyotas and Hondas in the past and found them very relieable with minimal dealer spend. Neighbour had two CR-V’s over the years as family cars and liked them very much. Rightly or wrongly I see Toyota and Honda as the two premium Japanese brands (note Mrs has a Nissan Micra CC)

franksinatra

Thanks everyone.

Bit disappointed in the fuel economy feedback, I just assumed the newer models would be better.

Going to have a look at a couple today so will see how we get on

jambalaya
    Free Member

Permanent 4wd never going to win fuel economy awards, even our little 2000 era 2l petrol rav4 was terrible. I recall we averaged high 20’s to low 30’s (in fact our 3.2 24v Shogun did better !)

badgerbater
    Free Member

My understanding is that the CR-V is 2wd, with 4wd only activating when needed. Mine appears to be averaging 35mpg. But as said only had it for a week!

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ badger is correct I just checked, my Rav was permanent 4wd I was getting confused. Apologies.

redstripe
    Free Member

I had a 2 litre petrol one for a year, really liked it particularly on the poor roads around here. Could get loads in it too. As others say, bit thirsty though.

franksinatra

Well that escalated quickly. Didn’t like the crv at all and just ordered a brand new discovery sport.

Spendy day 😕

iainc

That’s a big step up !

Looked at the crv and xtrail, and briefly at Disco Sport recently. Loved the Discovery but was very pricey on a PCP. Ended up with an Audi estate Quattro.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck with the car, wouldn’t have been my choice but it’s your money. Enjoy.

franksinatra

Not my money either but it’s what she wants.

iainc

Will be looking at used, budget up to about £15k.

just ordered a brand new discovery sport.

Hmmmmm…… 😀

franksinatra

Pretty much what I said as well

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any Honda CR-V owners?’ is closed to new replies.