Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Hi fi buffs about,turntable?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Got a load of old seperates.
    Turntable,tape deck etc from the early 90’s.
    Keep replacing stuff as it conks out!
    Recently amp went up it so i replaced it.
    My turntable volume isn’t very loud.
    Noticed the small wire with brass prong connected to amp frayed.
    Replaced connector but doesn’t make a difference.
    Anyone know what this does?
    Maybe wrong connector?
    Obviously there is a power lead on turntable and a seperate connector to amp but was just wondering about this third lead?
    Thanx,
    Max

MrNice
    Free Member

the small wire is the earth. It doesn’t affect volume.

does the new amp have a turntable line in? TTs are quieter than other sources so you need a phono stage which can be built in or external. I’m guessing the old amp had one built in but the new one doesn’t. Maplin or richer sounds will do you a basic one.

stumpy01

+1 on what MrNice has said.

The small wire will be the earth lead.

Amp needs a phono stage – a lot of modern amps don’t have this. If it does it will say in the manual and you should have a ‘phono’ option on the source selector.

When we replaced my Dad’s amp years ago (perhaps 8 years ago) finding a reasonably priced amp with phono input wasn’t easy.

There’s some useful info here:
    http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/phono-stages

If you need one, Google ‘Phono Stage’ and you’ll find plenty of choice for most budgets.

MrNice
    Free Member

and to add to stumpy01’s comment on modern amps not having phono stages built in: even when they do have one it’s often crap (I’m looking at you, Arcam). Even basic external phono stages sound OK and they aren’t expensive so you’re better to just include it in your amp budget.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have an external phone stage – and even with that my turntable is very quiet compared to CD – (ie 1/4 volume for CD is about the same as 3/4 volume for vinyl)

Not an issue really as it’s loud enough (and actually DVDs via the PS3 and the TV are even quieter) – but at some point I will be replacing the phono stage as what I have is rather budget (bought in a hurry when I realised that just because an amp has an output that says “phono” it isn;t necesarily actually a proper phono stage 😳 ). It will be interesting to see if a better phono stage = more volume

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanx guys!
    That’s most useful!
    I shall look into the options!
    Thanx again,
    Max

stumpy01

grievoustim – Member
    I have an external phone stage – and even with that my turntable is very quiet compared to CD – (ie 1/4 volume for CD is about the same as 3/4 volume for vinyl)

Not an issue really as it’s loud enough (and actually DVDs via the PS3 and the TV are even quieter) – but at some point I will be replacing the phono stage as what I have is rather budget (bought in a hurry when I realised that just because an amp has an output that says “phono” it isn;t necesarily actually a proper phono stage ). It will be interesting to see if a better phono stage = more volume

Read the link above that I posted to the Cambridge Audio site, where it says “What’s Moving Magnet and Moving Coil?”.

It sounds like you might have a moving coil cartridge and a moving magnet phono stage. The output from moving coil cartridge it a lot lower, hence lower volume.

MrNice
    Free Member

it’s possible it’s moving coil but they’re usually more high end kit (expensive). Some MM cartridges are louder than others so being quiet doesn’t necessarily mean it’s MC (if you know the model then you can check). If volume is a problem you can look at the amount of the gain the phono stage gives. That’s not usually down to cost (my current phono stage cost more than the previous one and sounds better but is slightly quieter).

Edukator
    Free Member

Vivanco PA 111 pre amp gives about the same volume as other things plugged into the amplifier. It’s an old product now but can still be bought, though there is probably something better now.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Turntable is a Dual bought in the early 90’s and the amp was a Ebay special which is a Denon PMA-350SE if that’s a help.
    Managed to find a cheap pre amp at Richer Sounds which should do the job.
    Think it’s only about 25 quid so not expecting miracles!
    Thanx,
    Max

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have an MM cartridge and a MM phone stage

I’ve had more than one cartridge and volume was the same for both so I know it’s not that

As I said though – not an issue really as I have plenty of volume. I’m just curious to see if volume increases with a different phono stage

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Fitted the fairly cheap Richer Sounds phono stage.
    Works a treat!
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Max

jkomo

Can anyone give me an opinion on this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301395248715

It’s a Thorens, quite near me, no bidders.
    Not sure on vintage, or a new project turntable.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a decent budget deck from the early 90’s but allow at least £25 for a new cartridge like an AT95E as it’s likely to be worn/perished.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td280.shtml

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Hi fi buffs about,turntable?’ is closed to new replies.