Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any heating engineers in the house?
  • bails

We’ve got a Salus RT300RF wireless thermostat and a Vaillant boiler. In the 18 months we’ve been living here the thermostat has never seemed to do anything. It’s only a problem when it’s cold (for obvious reasons) so I’ve finally got around to phoning the landlord about it. She’s getting someone to come and have a look at it but she said that it didn’t work when she lived there either.

The boiler works fine: when it’s set to come on it comes on, then turns off when it should. But the thermostat does nowt. So even with a thermostat setting of 10 or 30 degrees the boiler still turns on, regardless of the temp displayed on the thermostat. When the temperature drops below the thermostat setting the ‘burn’ symbol appears to show that the thermostat knows it’s too cold and is saying ‘fire up’ to the boiler. But the boiler is either on or off, or on the timer. The temperature set or displayed on the thermostat makes no difference to its operation.

The thermostat (transmitter) is on the wall, nowhere near the boiler, with no wires. It’s got batteries and powers up, responds to button presses etc but I’m beginning to think that whoever installed it forgot the wireless receiver that’s supposed to be wired into the boiler!

Does anyone know where a receiver would ‘normally’ be? Should there be an obvious wire or two coming out of the bottom of the boiler or could it all be hidden behind it? I half expect that the receiver should be accessible so that you can check it’s working?

jam-bo

I have a salus RT500 and its wired into the bottom of the boiler and mounted on the wall next to it. That becuase there was no previous thermostat wiring in place.

yours might be in place of a previous thermostat, mines a fairly plain white box with a blue on/off switch, a red LED to indicate power and a green LED to indicate demand. When the remote is showing the flame symbol the base unit should show green and red.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

There must be a receiver mounted b the boiler or even the timer. There are a pair of volt free contacts on the receiver whih need to be wired in series with the timers cotacts.

globalti
    Free Member

The receiver doesn’t have to be on the boiler; ours is in the airing cupboard upstairs. If you can find it, Google the instructions and try re-synchronising the sender and the receiver.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Does anyone know where a receiver would ‘normally’ be?

airing cupboard, near the tank and pump and other bits, or next to boiler

…usually…

bails

airing cupboard, near the tank and pump and other bits

Ta. None of that stuff though as we’re in a flat.

I can’t see it anywhere around/underneath/above/next to the boiler. There are a few mystery ‘fuse’ switches: dotted around the place, but if they’re all turned on there’s no difference compared to when they’re all turned off.

Pairing the transmitter and receiver requires making sure the RF code (set by jumpers on the transmitter and buttons on the receiver) matches between the two. But if I can’t find the receiver then I can’t check what code it’s using.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your looking for

http://www.salus-tech.com/products/thermostat/rf-thermostat/_c1_34_wireless-programmable-room-thermostat-868mhz/

the bit in the picture in the link that YOU DONT HAVE in your living room 😉

mines was in a kitchen cupboard. it now lives in the utility room beside the boiler.

bails

your looking for

http://www.salus-tech.com/products/thermostat/rf-thermostat/_c1_34_wireless-programmable-room-thermostat-868mhz/

the bit in the picture in the link that YOU DONT HAVE in your living room

mines was in a kitchen cupboard. it now lives in the utility room beside the boiler

I know that I need the receiver (the bit with the on-off button) which should be connected to the boiler. And the transmitter should be in an ‘inhabited’ bit of the flat (like the living room). But I can’t find the receiver anywhere and the behaviour of the boiler suggests that there either isn’t one, or it’s dead.

Someone’s coming round on Monday to have a look at it so hopefully it’ll be sorted soon, will be interesting to find out if there simply isn’t a receiver!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

[/quote] bails – Member

I know that I need the receiver (the bit with the on-off button) which should be connected to the boiler. And the transmitter should be in an ‘inhabited’ bit of the flat (like the living room). But I can’t find the receiver anywhere and the behaviour of the boiler suggests that there either isn’t one, or it’s dead.

So if you know why ask ?

john

There is a version (I’ve got one) with a smaller receiver (link to salus’ website), which could probably be wedged inside the boiler cover. It has a switch that can put it in manual mode (i.e. always on), and a reset button. If you’re bothered enough you could take the boiler cover off and have a look, but if you haven’t already done so I’m guessing you’d rather not?

It’s intended to go in place of one of those standard circular mechanical timers, but by the sound of it you’ve got one of those too, which is a bit odd. They could probably be wired up in series to have both in use (bit pointless with a timer on the thermostat), or they could have just not fitted it. We moved into a house in january that had a similar thing fitted but the receiver was dead, and google suggested the receivers aren’t the most reliable thing ever. Maybe the receiver broke and they just took it out and put the mechanical timer back in? In which case, what you have isn’t a thermostat, it’s a clock with a thermometer. Given the time of year, do you have any relatives you don’t particularly like?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any heating engineers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.