Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any hard-tails to suit 160mm forks?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

just wondering as I have some 160mm forks.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

orange sub zero

desf
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Alpine

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_C

Dialled Bikes Alpine

coolhandluke
    Free Member

ooo I can feel my next project coming on…..

Dialed alpine ehhh.

nickc

Chameleon as well

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Sub zeros are great and dont feel choppered at 160mm and if youve got some that wind down there ok for XC stuff too.

I ran a Subzero at 170mm for awhile an it coped fine.

ButtonMoon

My Orange Crush is running 36 Talas and it’s blinking superb!!! By far the most fun bike I’ve owned.

The frame only option is an absolute bargain (IMO) as well.

Vortexracing

Dialled Alpine CHL, you know you want to.

Funny enough mine started out as a set of forks as well.

What forks you got?

Luke – hopefully your new project can wait until late Sep/early Oct as that’s when the new Alpines will be in. Just confirmed the new colours as translucent red and Kawasaki green.

DesF – have you built your Love/Hate yet?

jonb
    Free Member

You’d probably be alright in a 456. 6″ is 152.4mm so it’s going to make very little difference adding another few as long as you pick your stem, bars and spacers properly

Vortexracing

ooohhhhh Kwaker green, any piccies yet Mike?

alpin
    Free Member

oh-ho…. piccy time!

Vortex, should be some pics of the green sample next week when Ash from TA gets his built up.

Vortexracing

Have you changed the sizing on this next batch?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I now want to spray my PA kawasaki green. 🙁

edoverheels
    Free Member

I have a SubZero with big forks on the front. I ride it a lot and have loved it and it can be good fun. I was at UK Bike Park this weekend whilst Hardtail championship was going on. I was not involved. I was racing on a full suss 224.Some Hardtails were very fast but they all had about 4 “. I have a hardtail in France with about ” and it is more fun than it has any right to be. I think that it is simply because it feels so tight and the BB is so low and as soon as it gets bumpy you just have to pick the back up. I have been a long term devotee of hardcore hardtails but I am starting to think that we are kidding ourselves. Either that or I am just getting old.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Cotic BFe!

GW
    Free Member

y’know, one of the most important things on a DH bike when it gets choppy is stability..
    just how stable do you think a hardtail becomes if it’s slamming from a 68deg H/A to 78deg throughout a DH run..

Hmmm… 🙄

Ed-O
    Free Member

The Ragley bikes will take a big fork. The mmBop prototype is being ridden in Calderdale at the moment with a pair of Marzochhi 66s.

Vortexracing – Member

Have you changed the sizing on this next batch?

Yes. 16″ x 22.25″ top tube and 18″ x 23.25″ top tube.

GW – Member

y’know, one of the most important things on a DH bike when it gets choppy is stability..
    just how stable do you think a hardtail becomes if it’s slamming from a 68deg H/A to 78deg throughout a DH run..

Does some make a hardtail frame with a 68 degree head angle for 10″/254mm travel forks?

Olly
    Free Member

Just found this thread via searching forum for info on Alpines 🙂

in the market for a 160mm travel bike in an 18" sizing.
    i THINK i may have just decided 🙂

Translucent red for me i think….
    lyriks and white halo wheels, mmmmmmm, naughty

how does the weight of an Alpine fair against say a BFe (twice the price) or a Sub zero? (no longer made anymore?, probably lighter, but stiff as sin i would imagine)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another vote for a Bfe here. Loving mine – just back from the Mega and the bottom half of the qualifier was simply stunning on a short nimble bike. (I'll admit to wussing out and taking the big bike when it came to racing though!)

I *think* a Bfe is about 1 lb lighter than an Alpine. Entirely up to you whether you think that is worth twice the price or not.

Regarding the geometry changes – it's less on a hardtail than on a full sus in a lot of situations – you haven't got the back end extending under heavy braking, or going over steep rolls.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any hard-tails to suit 160mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.