Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any grown ups here actually race or would race BMX?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m 32 and i’ve had this itch to race BMX. I love dirt jumping and any sort of riding that involves getting a bike in the air I love. I’ve wanted to race BMX since I was 7 years old but never have sadly. I don’t have any kids so can’t use the excuse that I’m just taking the kids to race so may as well have a go myself, but I just can’t get over the idea that BMX racing is just a kids sport and as a 32 year old novice I’d feel like a bit of a fool. Time to grow up etc.

Am i being pathetic, should i just get over myself and crack on and just do something I want to do? Or, am I right to be embarrassed about the prospect?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just do it. I don’t race but do go to BMX tracks, but then I still ride a skateboard too.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m 38 and brought a BMX a few weeks ago to go to the BMX track with toppers jnr. Can’t jump for shit but loving it. I look a proper **** on it mind you. But hey, who cares.do something you want to do because you want to do it. I bet you’ll be having more fun than the people who are judging you.

jam-bo

37 here and I’d race cruiser class if there was a decent track/club close to me.

mildred

I’m 43 and raced (sporadically) up until I was 39. because of my work I couldn’t commit to the regular mid week gate practice needed to stay competitive. It stung too much to be beaten by people I would normally leave behind so I gave up in a flounce of self pity.

I really regret it now – my 6 year old boy has recently developed a strong interest, so I may end up buying another cruiser for me and a mini for the boy.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d do it but I’m not good enough at jumping to be fast. It doesn’t look like a kids’ sport in the Olympics, it looks mental!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It is silly that I should feel self aware about it and I keep telling myself I’m stupid for not giving it a go purely because of my own problem to overcome. I think it’s just getting over that first day when i roll up for the first time and give it a go. I’m hoping once I get past that point the fun of it all will remove any doubt I had.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’d do it but I’m not good enough at jumping to be fast. It doesn’t look like a kids’ sport in the Olympics, it looks mental!

Agree completely. I’ve often noticed that the best riders in BMX, particular in the States, are often in their late 20’s, early 30’s. That makes me feel a bit better but never in a million years am I going to ever contemplate the sort of riding they do.

chiefgrooveguru

There’s even a book on it: http://www.probmxskills.com

hardupdad

Where abouts are you? In looking to race or at least ride track a bit. I’m 32 and in the north east.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I race and it’s great. Above is the 30-39 cruiser final from last year’s Brits at Perry Park Birmingham. 40-44 and 45+ are just as fast on 24 and 20″ wheels.

In my experience, BMX clubs a full of great, helpful people.

twistedpencil

Haven’t raced yet, but bought a cruiser to ride with my lad a few years ago on the local derelict track, at 37 I’m considering racing as the derelict track has been rebuilt to national standards. Bruntwood BMX track opens to the public on the 5th April, if you’re around south Manchester that weekend come a say hello 🙂 there will be an opening event, when details are released I’ll post up here.

Oh you can pump around before working up to jumps 😉 I try and jump but tend to land in the next field or on my head :-0

stevestunts
    Free Member

Crack on and give it a go! I’m 36 and I’ve been along to a couple of races with a friend of mine who convinced me it was worth a try. He was absolutely right.

At the first event I went to, in 2009, someone I’d never even met loaned me an old school Robinson 20″ (worth about £800) to race on. I thought I’d do okay as I was quite fit back then, and whilst I’m not much of a wheels-off-the-ground type of rider, I can handle a bike reasonably well.

Two things happened;

1) I discovered that BMX tracks are a little more gnarly than they used to be back in the 80s, and after years of riding 26″ wheels, dropping to 20″ is pretty terrifying (not wanting to bin the borrowed bike didn’t help).

2) I got my arse handed to me. I think I only managed one moto where I wasn’t last by some margin.

But, you know what? No-one made fun of me, fellow riders were really encouraging, gave me high-fives at the finish line, made sure I knew which motos and gates I was supposed to be in, and generally made it a great day out, experiencing something new.

Second time around, I rode 24″ cruiser and that was much easier to get along with, and I fared a little better results-wise. But not much. Still the same good time though.

Essentially, you turn up, pay a small amount of money and fill in a form, and then you ride a bike as fast as you can a few times. My experience suggests that, even if you’re not very good at it, people will still be supportive because you’re giving it a go. There’s not that many people in their mid-30s and 40s who spend their weekends riding little bikes, so anyone who shows an interest is made to feel welcome right away.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m 10 years older than you & brought myself a 20″ BMX for Xmas. Never been one for air on the mtb but currently slowly trying to build up a skill set for airing out of a quarter. Just buy one and ride.

noltae
    Free Member

40+ cruiser class is no joke – alot of the competion has a ton of experience and they haul ass – think your better off on a 20 inch if your a novice – go on to the BMX TALK forum and find out which clubs are running novice class – great classifieds section also . If you care about winning its a pretty dangerous sport…

bigblackshed

40+ cruiser class is full of very fit, very skilled riders from back in the 80s when they were the dorks who raced rather than us cool kids who were the freestylers.

I “raced” in a meeting on a “run-what-ya-brung” about 6 years ago. I had my 26″ SE Racing OM Flyer and did OK against the fat Dads. Against the real racers I was dead last every time.

It’s a great community, very good fun, will teach you to jump, and the old school classes and bikes are objects of desire from when you were a kid.

Do it and have fun.

hora
    Free Member

Do it. Hanging round a skatepark is sad on ANY bike if you are 18+

Racing bmx is cool at any age

sharkattack

There’s a big track and a friendly club in Hartlepool. They do coaching, gate practice and stuff.

russjp
    Free Member

Raced on and off from age of 23 to 31 (2009), absolutely loved it most of the time. Started at winter regionals on a cruiser then 20″ and progressed to nationals, Brits,Euros and world champs. Even when racing in 30+ it was bloody fast! Some of my best times on a bike have been at evening club gate practice sessions, even considering getting back into.

russjp
    Free Member

Oh, don’t get sucked into the old skool scene they are shite, bikes ride shite and should be left in the 80’s

chiefgrooveguru

Oh, don’t get sucked into the old skool scene they are shite, bikes ride shite and should be left in the 80’s

Forgive my ignorance but what’s the difference between a retro and current BMX? They look so similar to the uninformed, not like how MTBs have changed.

exile_smoggy

If you’re anywhere near Manchester you could try the starter sessions at the indoor track. I went with my 7 year old daughter in December and loved it, had much more fun than the other parents just watching.

Went a second time for my 40th last month, got a couple more sessions booked and getting involved with the track and club at Bruntwood. Never ridden little wheels before and not tried a cruiser. Will be looking to get bikes for me and Izzy once the track opens.

If anyone’s interested, Bruntwood BMX are having a dig day on Tuesday, details are on the FB page.

russjp
    Free Member

Geometry, flex, strength, weight, speed.

qwerty
    Free Member

Do it. Hanging round a skatepark is sad on ANY bike if you are 18+

Rubbish. What % of pros are under 18? All the BMXers I know are mainly in their 40s and havn’t stopped since the 80s. And yes they ride skateparks (some as a last resort) trails, street and the stuff they built themselves.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

Don’t race but have been doing circa 7-15 mile urban bmx rides lately. Wall rides on a bmx are terrifying. Great training rides for strength and reactions. Do not tend to ride very fast on a bmx mostly ( unless bmx track )- so they’re different rides to mtbing really. Something a bit different. Such rides have been a blessing over this recent prolonged wet spell where all he trails have been bad. I ride a bit of bmx track and skatepark for fun too.

Don’t worry about the age thing. You’ll be having so much fun it doesn’t matter anyway.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any grown ups here actually race or would race BMX?’ is closed to new replies.