Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Any graphic artists in? Logo Design….
  • binners
    grumm
    Free Member

I guess the clients that value design and pay him and mrs deadly handsomely for their work do.

That's great, I'm happy that there are people that value design out there and are willing to pay people who do it well – but why the assumption that everyone should do the same?

And if they are being paid handsomely why all the whining?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bet I could find one that looks pretty similar. You can congratulate yourself all you want about how clever you are for designing the typeface yourself, but most people probably couldn't care less, and why should they?

I don't want similar – for my £50 I want it to be identical. I am a fussy client and when I pay my money I expect to get exactly what I want. I reject your similarly typefaced logo and am refusing to pay you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And if they are being paid handsomely why all the whining?

Not detecting any whining. I often find my skills are undervalued too…and I'll take any opportunity to persuade people that they should value them more.

If it had been for something to do with stratobiker's own thang, I'd have talked mrs deadly into lending a hand – but it's for a different enterprise.

JoB
    Free Member

it's cost me £50 of my time to read this thread, where do i send the invoice?

binners

When it comes to logo design, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

Oh….. hang on a minute

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL

I do love the 2012 brand though. The logo itself is a bit poor, but the brand identity and execution is spot on. We have had too many furry bear Olympic mascots and I was happy we came up with something different and challenging.

Kit
    Free Member

it's cost me £50 of my time to read this thread, where do i send the invoice?

£50 is about 8.5hrs of work for me, so count yourself lucky.

the-muffin-man

I wouldn't even start thinking about designing a quick logo for less than half a day's work (£240) – and that would be all the client would get – a logo as a .jpg.

Where do you find these clients!!?

wwaswas

Jo's quite a slow reader – it might have been 8.5 hours for him too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Where do you find these clients!!?

We tend to work with small to medium-sized businesses who recognise the importance of 'brand' rather than 'logo' and are willing to pay as such. Of course there are smaller businesses and/or ones that have no requirement for a 'brand' but they aren't really the sort of people that we would be working with – I guess it is those people who think that £50 is enough to spend.

I have charged several thousand pounds in the past, but that isn't for a logo, it is for an entire brand identity.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mrs Deadly here,
    Have you lot got nothing better to do?

wwaswas

"Have you lot got nothing better to do?"

you'll just get blank looks asking that question around here…

grumm
    Free Member

Guess I could go and find another industry to devalue – photography maybe?

Someone on here liked one of my pics, so I'm selling her a print at cost price plus a donation to a charity. What a bastard eh?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She just got a bollocking for asking such a stupid question.

Drac

They have to stretch the work out mrs dd or they can't charge for half a days work for 30 mins with word.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Someone on here liked one of my pics, so I'm selling her a print at cost price plus a donation to a charity. What a bastard eh?

Will you go out and take a photograph for me – I will pay you £50 if I like it.

clubber
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Mrs Deadly here,
    Have you lot got nothing better to do?

Loving the irony.

glenp
    Free Member

Producing a picture that one person likes is very different to one person asking you to produce a specific picture that they may or may not like.

This is the basic misunderstanding at play here – graphic design is not abstract pretty patterns, it is producing visuals that trigger very specific reactions and associations in the viewer. If you haven't even analysed what you want those reactions to be, let alone made some sort of study of the background and context of the whole thing you can only ever have a good logo (or whatever) by luck.

grumm
    Free Member

Will you go out and take a photograph for me – I will pay you £50 if I like it.

OK.

Just wondering, does the price you charge clients include the costs associated with you browsing/posting on stw (and presumably other places), including your wage, overheads etc?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

clubber…go easy now. She has been working for most of the morning.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I need a logo designing.
    If you're in need of something to do, drop me an email to stratobiker AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Or alternatively if you're an upthemselvesdesignerluvvie just ignore the OP and witter away about how much a few hours of your time is worth 🙄

glenp
    Free Member

Like I said, most people just don't understand what design is.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or alternatively if you're an upthemselvesdesignerluvvie just ignore the OP and witter away about how much a few hours of your time is worth

The point not being how a person uses their own time, but what value they put on it when creating something for someone else who can then go on to benefit from it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just wondering, does the price you charge clients include the costs associated with you browsing/posting on stw (and presumably other places), including your wage, overheads etc?

What do you think?

Looking forward to receiving my photograph to review and decide whether I deem it worth my £50…

Wee
    Free Member

D'oh!

wwaswas

Wee in 'graphic designer fails to read whole thing before contributing' shocker.

grumm
    Free Member

What do you think?

I reckon it probably does, though you've probably convinced yourself otherwise.

Looking forward to receiving my photograph to review and decide whether I deem it worth my £50…

You haven't given me the brief yet. 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

Rest assured that I hate cheap, and if the project warranted it, I'd go to someone with clout. Also, rest assured that I'm not trying to make a quick buck here.

Right at this moment in time I'm out of work (not asking for sympathy), and if someone offered me £50 I'd take it.

My offer was aimed at someone who has nothing better to do. Maybe someone sat at a desk bored. £50 would buy a few beers would it not? Or maybe go some way to filling a shopping trolley.

I know £50 pound isn't much. I just offered it, no one has to take it. A little while ago, I wouldn't have given the time of day for £50. Though I wouldn't have been quite so nasty or smart-arsed in my refusal as some of the posters here.

SB

hilldodger
    Free Member

Like I said, most people just don't understand what design is

Do you mean design or graphic design ?
    The former yes, the latter well it's just twatting about with digital crayons innit 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I reckon it probably does, though you've probably convinced yourself otherwise.

For every client I charge 4 hours but only spend 2 hours on the project, I have another on which I end up spending 8 hours. Swings and roundabouts.

Brief – I want a picture of a one-eyed ballerina squid juggling seven unevenly-shaped pieces of burnt toast and the shot must be taken in Bali.

I await your submission.

hilldodger
    Free Member

My offer was aimed at someone who has nothing better to do. Maybe someone sat at a desk bored. £50 would buy a few beers would it not? Or maybe go some way to filling a shopping trolley.

Exactly as I understood it – funny that all these "high flying wouldn't get out of bed for less than a grand" types always seem to have plenty time for forum posting, wonder if they charge it to the client…..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

lol

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Strotobiker – sorry if offence was taken, but your offer still suggests that you want to take advantage of someone who needs the money rather than paying fair market value for the work.

glenp
    Free Member

That's fair enough. Someone who is out of work, or maybe a student.

The wrong bit is getting paid "if I use it" – much more effective to find a designer and work with them to get the result you want, whatever the fee.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Well said stratobiker!!!

make your brief public on the post and make it a competition to design your logo with a £50 bucks prize.

suspect you'll get more entries and less moaning..

richpips
    Free Member

Strotobiker – sorry if offence was taken, but your offer still suggests that you want to take advantage of someone who needs the money rather than paying fair market value for the work.

Surely it's not unreasonable that someone who is out of work is asking for something for less than the going rate.

You don't of course have to oblige if you're too busy raking in the big bucks.

grumm
    Free Member

Only if you're being precious.

I politely decline your offer based on the brief. See how easy that was?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely it's not unreasonable that someone who is out of work is asking for something for less than the going rate

When I was last out of work I did some freelance work but I still expected to be paid a fair fee for my work. Why is that so unreasonable? For example, if I asked an out of work electrician to do some work in my house, I wouldn't expect to pay him *significantly* less than the going rate for the work. In my opinion, £50 for a logo is significantly less than the going rate.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Right, I am going now. To design a website for a friend for some 75% LESS than our normal rate as well.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Any graphic artists in? Logo Design….’ is closed to new replies.