Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any GT Grade Carbon owners in da house?
  • spacemonkey

Silly discounts on the carbon model, particularly the Tiagra version, have me believing this is one of the more accomplished do-it-all gravel bikes with added VFM. IRO £950 for what is a RRP £1700.

Reviews, although not many of them, make out it’s great at pretty much everything. Watched a video of a guy hitting some singletrack on it and generally having a right hoot.

Want to come off the fence and hit the Buy button.

Any real world feedback from here would be cool. Max tyre clearance is one thing – hoping knobbly 35c but unsure.

Cheers

timbur
    Free Member

Got the Ali version and 32mm is about all I’d be happy running out the back.
    Lovely for the money though.
    Happy to stand corrected by other owners as I’m fairly new to the table with my cheap version. Be good to see pics if eople have run bigger in the back. Got some 650b wheels built as well that I’d like to throw in it if I can find some affordable CX tyres to fit.

carboblock
    Free Member

Hi, I have a Grade carbon, had some Schwalbe G-One 35s fitted which seem to fit OK, tried 38s and there was a tiny bit of clearance. Can’t tell you how it rides as I have not had time to get out on it.

jim29
    Free Member

I love my Carbon grade…now.
    It took me a lot of perseverance, and eventually some new shifters, before I could get comfortable on it.
    If your model has Shimano RS-505 shifters, budget on an upgrade, as they are simply awful. They are so poor ergonomically.
    New shifters have been a revelation.

The seat stays limit you to 35mm at the rear. I’m running panaracer gravel kings, which come up large, and I have problems with really claggy mud combined with leaves.

Otherwise, super bike on and off road. Good at everything from road to cross to gravel.

In 2018, there are better gravel bikes out there, but probably not at the price.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Ally Grade here.
    35mm max tyre width as I found.
    Equally at home on road or gravel. Have done some more technical stuff on it and can say a cheap dropper post helps a lot.
    Carbon frame has a removable rear bridge to mount mudguards to iirc.
    Had my 105 ally version a couple of years now, the carbon Tiagra version you mention is only slightly more than I paid for my alloy bike!
    There are better gravel bikes out now, but the Grade is still a good bike, especially at that price.
    You’ll have to decide if you think the max tyre width will be an issue or not. For me it’s not, if I want fatter tyres I’ll just use my mtb!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any GT Grade Carbon owners in da house?’ is closed to new replies.