• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any goss on the Cotic Crosser?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

It looks luuurrrrvely but much as I want one I have reservations about the creeping price of Cotics

Does anyone have any informed or just plain wild guesses about when it will be released and how much it will cost?

Or will the initial price reflect perceived demand in which case please bury this thread 🙂

cy

X is in development at the moment. Kate's giving me feedback and we're aiming for production next summer in time for the '11 cross season. Pricing-wise, I'd expect it to be 10-15% higher than the Soul as it using some more expensive ProTeam versions of 853 tubing, plus a couple of more expensive processes compared to the Soul. That all achieves the weight though, which is now weighed on scales 3.7lbs for that 48cm frame.

Bit more info here: KateP-X

I'm a little perturbed to find you feel our prices 'creeping'. Maybe I'm being first-thing-in-the-morning sensitive, but we had one price rise in 6 years last January on the mountain frames, which was a lower rise than most peoples, and we've pegged that price for the new 2010 frame, right when a bunch of other people are doing 853 for £550-£600. I think given the performance, finish, weight and features on the Soul that makes it pretty damn good value. And the new BFe's gonna be £370 but only 50grms heavier than the outgoing full 853 frame. Forgive me for the mini rant, but I've been working my arse off this year on pricing and new designs, so I'm a little touchy I guess.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Cy – will the new frame be a "pure" crosser – or something that could double as a winter road bike and take full mudguards?

ta

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

FWIW, I don't think Cy's prices are high, but the price of bike things generally has gone up much faster than I've been able to adjust to over the last couple of years. 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm no fan of steel frames any more, but my god that's a lovely looking bike.

crazy-legs

Cy – will the new frame be a "pure" crosser – or something that could double as a winter road bike and take full mudguards?

I heard Cy at the Cycle Show talking about plans for 2 bikes, one a pure race CX with no rack/bottle mounts, the other a more versatile model.
    However that may have changed since the bike show, I'll leave it to him to actually answer the question properly!
    It's a stunning looking bike. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Nice looking bike, but shame about the sloping top tube.

I've tried racing cross on my Soul and, being a short*rse with a small sized frame, struggle to get my arm through for the carries.

Cy, move away from the MTB geom, and do it with a horizontal (or , at the most, semi-compact) top tube. And if you do, I'll buy one like a shot..! 😀

(On pricing – my Soul frame was £420 five years ago, so there hasn't been that much creep in the interim.)

slugwash
    Free Member

Cy, will you be getting any more Builder's Tea drop bar Roadrat frames in stock soon? 'cos I can't be waiting till next summer for the new Cotic cross frame, I need summit a bit sooner.

cy

Geometry and layout is something I'm still playing with, but to be honest I like the compact design. The Nick Craig was showing us to carry, you jam the head tube right up to your shoulder, so the sloping tube makes no difference to that area of the frame, and it makes it easier to handle offroad. Also, remember that this is Kate's frame and she's only 5ft 6in. It's a small size. The other thing with the >X< is that being steel the tubes are probably 20-30mm smaller than the equivalent alu or carbon frames, so you've got 40-50mm more room inside the triangle than using another material, which is almost the equivalent of 2 frame sizes.

Product-wise, it's still in the planning, but we're 90% sure there will be a pure race version and a slightly more versatile option with 'guards and disc mountings. If we do go only one way, it'll be a pure race bike.

No more RoadRats in Builders' Tea is you want a short/drop bar frame. We've sold through on short frames and due to overwhelming (or should that be underwhelming!) customer demand all the new stock arriving at the end of the month are Back to Black (cue AC DC tunes)

cy

Oh, and if you have a small Soul frame, then you'd want the size above, which would be easier to get your arm through than a large Soul. It's quite a bit larger than a small Soul!

Coleman
    Free Member

I saw the prototype Cotic X in the flesh at the Sram NDCXL race at Bramcote where it was raced by Kate Potter, and very smart it looked too in its orange livery.
    I'm sure it will be very popular with the STW Cotic fan club, but with a frame weight of 3.7 lbs I don't think we will see many on the race circuit.

ourmaninthenorth

Cy – that's very interesting. By no means am I a seasoned cross (only done a handful of races), so I'm happy to accept that my technique is way off.

For me, it's the movement of getting my my arm through the frame in the first place – the top tube just tends to crash into my upper arm/shoulder, rather than being able to make a fluid movement of getting my arm through and the frame up. Like I say, it's quite likely my technique isn't up to much, but the frame is tiddly – as you know, 400mm c-t-c.

If the small sized >X< is, as you say, rather bigger than the small Soul on a c-t-c basis, then it should be fine.

If so, sign me up for the race version. I may be useless, but at least I'll do it in style..!

Tom

cy

Anyone would struggle with a small Cotic MTB frame if you're trying to get your arm through. That >X< above is 48cm centre-to-top, with less drop on the top tube. You'd have loads more room, and Kate's not having any troule with it.

alfabus
    Free Member

Why has the one in the picture got a rusty cassette and chain? 😉

Dave

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone would struggle with a small Cotic MTB frame if you're trying to get your arm through. That >X< above is 48cm centre-to-top, with less drop on the top tube. You'd have loads more room, and Kate's not having any troule with it.

Noted..! Looking forward to the pre-orders being mailed round… 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

It's not rusty – its a KCNC Ti-nitrided aluminium cassette and a KMC gold chain. Max bling!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Any chance of some coming in XL?

cy

Don't know what the sizing range is going to be. There will definitely be a 58cm equiv size for people up to around 6ft 3in, because that's how tall I am! As we have quite a poor history of moving XL frames for guys bigger than me, I'd say the chances of doing a 60cm or 61cm equiv are slim.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any goss on the Cotic Crosser?’ is closed to new replies.