• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any good South East gravel routes?
  • dknwhy

Picking up a crosser in the next few days. Anyone got any good cross routes? Croydon/Surrey/Kent…

wwaswas

Most single carriageway roads within a 20 mile radius of Brighton seem to fit the category after this winter. I expect it’s much the same around you 🙁

seriously; If you know your local area then pick bridleways, boats etc that you know have a hard surface (chalk/hardpack/whatever) and just string those together with linking sections of tarmac. Once summer arrives(!) pretty much anything where you don’t have to jump too much is doable on a cross bike.

iamroughrider
    Free Member
    djc1245
    Free Member

The Pilgrim’s Way in Kent is pretty much rideable on a crosser at the moment, muddy in places though and the odd fallen tree.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Gravel routes? I hear the East Sussex prairie is riding quite nicely at the moment, but you’ll have to negotiate the Devil’s Dust Bowl. Hang on to your cowboy helmet.

aP
    Free Member

Lots of places to ride. We ride out to the Surrey Hills from Richmond. Stane Street is a good way back in.
    But an OS map and look for routes and then go out and try them out.

rewski
    Free Member

Surrey/Croydon: I ride around Riddlesdown > Woldingham > North Downs Way > Caterham > Reigate even over to Ranmore Common and Peaslake via Headley and Box Hill even I’m feeling like an all dayer. There’s a lot of very big trees down still but most of the trails and bridlepaths are fine for a CX, some of the gravel has been washed away to reveal what looks like a river bed with deep holes, chalk and huge flint bolders, all good fun though.

Kent: Greensand Way around Croakham Hill, Toys Hill, Limpsfield Chart is near too. V muddy.

zbonty

Dog walkers scattering twigs again..

spacemonkey

I ride around Riddlesdown > Woldingham > North Downs Way > Caterham > Reigate even over to Ranmore Common and Peaslake via Headley and Box Hill even I’m feeling like an all dayer

That’s quite a route there Rewski. Do you do it as essentially a BW-based loop taking in a few bits of singletrack?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Downs Link?

Guildford to Shoreham by Sea

rewski
    Free Member

That’s quite a route there Rewski. Do you do it as essentially a BW-based loop taking in a few bits of singletrack?

Yes, a lot of BW and mainly NDW, some cheeky ST and footpaths, but I’m respectful of walkers etc, Another good route is Woldingham to Eastbourne, NDW to St Marthas Hill > Downlink > SDW, starts hard, middle easy, ends very hard, I blew up at Black Cap last time, ran out of food and water, got the train of shame from Lewes 🙁 Determined to complete it this year.

swanny853

Rewski has the main good bits pretty much summed up. I just ride the crosser pretty much anywhere I’d ride the mtb round here. Caterham to Peaslake and back will rack up something in the 60-70 mile region depending on route with plenty of good trails and places to stop and eat cake.

The north downs, downs link, south downs is a good day out although I’ve not been all the way to Eastbourne, usually stop for tea and cake in Saddlescombe and then drop down to Brighton. I’ve not done it on the crosser yet but imagine it would be a good run!

Talking mixed terrain routes good for cross bikes (this one I’ve done on fat slicks in summer) route would be through limpsfield chart (loads of singletrack in there if you can find it), drop down from Ide Hill to Hever, east to Penshurst on back roads and tracks then pick up the cycle route into Tonbridge before turning north to Sevenoaks. Or train to Tonbridge, up past Ightam to the greensand and head west until you’re knackered and you find a station.

If you fancy heading further down into the weald I’ve done a fairly good route that I think works out about 60-70 miles and starts out at Outwood (near M23) and goes something like East Grinstead, Dormansland, bridleway to Hammerwood, pick up the cycle path from Forest Row heading east, Cake stop at hartfield, stick on cycle path until just before Eridge Station where you take the bridleway up to the right, follow that, down the west side of Crowborough, bridleway west to the high ground south of 500 Acre Wood, Upper Hartfield, Forest Row, pick up the old railway line back to East Grinstead, through the town and out the other side before heading north for Outwood. I did it on the MTB in winter, it’d suit a cross bike much better. Mostly reasonably weatherproof, there’s a few bits early on where you might have to cross some pretty muddy fields. You could bring the length down a bit by starting and finishing in East Grinstead, in which case I imagine it’d make a great long ride for a midsummer evening (take lights!).

I’ve given a bit more detail than I planned but it should give you the shape of the rides and if you’re interested I could probably sort you out a gpx.

rewski
    Free Member

Also nice loops around farthing downs and happy valley near coulsdon

dknwhy

Cheers all. Been on a few rides now and have realised that everything is fair game.
    Absolutely love caning it on the road and then spotting a cheeky track or nipping through a park. I think it could become my favourite bike…

nuke

Woldingham to Eastbourne, NDW to St Marthas Hill > Downlink > SDW,

Did this from Denbies to Eastbourne but, as a simpler alternative/warmup, to Ditchling Beacon is good as you can drop down to catch the train at Hassocks which is main line station and saves some agro when getting home. Just under 60 miles from Denbies…just as I got to sdw my seat post broke so last 12 miles without a saddle was tough

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any good South East gravel routes?’ is closed to new replies.