Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Any good science fiction series I should watch
  • grum
    Free Member

kaesae, not interested in BSG? By far the best thing mentioned here IMO.

Someone needs to make a series based on one/some of the Ian M Banks Culture novels. I guess it would be very hard to do but amazing if done right.

chewkw
    Free Member

There is only one science fiction … that is …

Star Trek. 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey

Well I got a copy of BSG and it’s foooked, having to send it back, totally spoilt the experience and I will be leaving negative for the scumbags over it.

I also got firefly quite liked it, pitty they never kept it going, babylon 5 crusade was shit x crap x useless, might watch it if I get desperate, for now looking to buy another set of BSG, only got to season 2 before I gave up on the scratched and useless discs.

Next I’ll get serenity.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Dont forget Stargate Universe 😉 A number of us have mentioned it and its easy to ignore because it’s more Stargate. But it is very good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

`Babylon 5 is it worth t but it is also a slow burner never seen the film so I cannot comment

Farscape as well

AlasdairMc

Space Above and Beyond always seemed, to me at least, like Starship Troopers played straight. It was a good show though, at least for teenage scifi geek me anyway…

Despite suggesting it, I agree that B5 was hit or miss, but it got a lot better when they introduced the Shadows storyline and it was on that basis I recommended it.

kaesae
    Free Member

I like babylon 5 one of my all time favourite sci fi series, the shadow war was awsome and the special effects in particular the space battles were great. I also like the films.

But crusade has a cheesyness to it due to the actors that puts me off, **** techno mages my ass, might try and watch it again later.

I will get round to stargate universe later on, might have a look just now, actually better get to work.

Good hearing from you!

saxabar
    Free Member

Good call on Caprica, assuming every Sci-Fi fan has seen BSG.

BAD CALL on Firefly – I ordered it as a result of this thread and concluded it as danglies after 20mins.

Klunk
    Free Member

family guy starwars trilogy.

Kuco

First part of Caprica bored the crap out of me the second part is a lot better. If they had made the first part like the second they might have got more money to do another series.

The latest V is the same, the second series is pretty good the first just dragged on. Plus its got Morena Baccarin in which imo is no bad thing 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Firefly was good, I liked it anyway. Not too serious but cool in a frontier space kind of way!

senorj

What about Misfits?

Underhill
    Free Member

Cowboy Bebop. It’s anime about a bounty hunter & his crew travelling round the solar system. Great series which got darker as it progressed. Should still be available on Lovefilm

willard

If you’re going Anime, then consider the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex series.

I had a copy on DVD somewhere, but for the life of me cannot find it or remember where I got it from. I think Sky-Fy had it on over a number of weeks several years ago, so it should still be around.

Cowboy Beebop is definitely worth a watch though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fringe is awesome. Walter Bishop is one of the best characters on telly imo. John Noble is a brilliant actor.

Cougar

BAD CALL on Firefly – I ordered it as a result of this thread and concluded it as danglies after 20mins.

Twenty whole minutes? Gosh.

It’s not for everyone, sure. But I’d respectfully suggest that you at least need to watch a full episode or two before you’re qualified to pass judgement. It starts slowly because there’s a lot a scene setting to be done and an ensemble cast to introduce.

Fringe is awesome.

Yeah, I really need to start watching that.

richmtb

Can’t say enough good things about Battlestar Galactica. One of the best TV series of the last ten years.

Fringe is also well worth a look.

I got bored with Stargate Universe but I think that was down to me missing a couple of episodes.

z1ppy

Fringe is awesome. Walter Bishop is one of the best characters on telly imo. John Noble is a brilliant actor.

I throughly enjoy it but as I said “Fringe is also good fun, with some gruesome deaths, if you can live with the lack of acting ability of the main character.”
    My partner believes Roger Moore’s eyebrow had more acting ability

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Fringe is a weird one, it doesn’t quite hit the spot yet I still watch it avidly.

mrdestructo

Misfits is a gem (is it still available in total on 4oD?)

Charlie Jade, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjApeQGPl-k) scifi series filmed in Cape Town, reasonably opens the mind and the bad guy becomes the best character for me.

Hyperdrive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqcVbJqxR0) (British comedy series in the vein of Red Dwalf) Bit childish really though.

No Heroics – (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3zpMTKvvgk) adult, but a bit childish.

There are few series that are perfect so it’s hard to recommend anything other than SG-1. Shows that didn’t quite get there: Primeval, Eureka, Warehouse 13, The Last Train, Ultraviolet. If you move away from scifi then it’s got to be Bones, Psych and Mentalist.

Here’s a series (watch in order) of funny adult themed Chinese 7up commercials if you haven’t already seen them, with a strong element of time travel:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-8FFOdh5o

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpesget9bU

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0cxuEv9VKk

_tom_
    Free Member

if you can live with the lack of acting ability of the main character.

Well we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one then!

stuey
    Free Member

Does
    “Cowboy BeBop” count?

kimbers

oh yeah misfits is superb

also really enjoyed supernatural, in a kind of cheesey ottp bromance kinda way

z1ppy

Well we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one then!

I wasn’t talking about Walter Bishop/John Noble (who we’d just watched in LoTR before the series started) … I was talking about Anna Torv/Olivia Dunham having no little or no acting ability (I don’t care but she annoys the better half), everyone else is fine.
    Walter is one of the main characters.. but it centres on her.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Couple of people mentioned Cowboy Bebop, don’t know why I didn’t mention it since I have just been watching through the series for the 5th or 6th time over the last couple of weeks. Ghost in the Shell of course is worth a shout as above if anime is a possibility.

_tom_
    Free Member

I wasn’t talking about Walter Bishop/John Noble (who we’d just watched in LoTR before the series started) … I was talking about Anna Torv/Olivia Dunham having no little or no acting ability (I don’t care but she annoys the better half), everyone else is fine.

Ah, I see! Yeah she’s not always amazing but does it well enough I think.

z1ppy

Anna Torv
    Notable awards and nominations

2008: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television for her role in Fringe
    2009: Won an Australians in Film Breakthrough Award
    2010: Won a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television for her role in Fringe
    2010: Nominated for a Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actress: Fantasy/Sci-Fi for her role in Fringe
    2011: Won a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television for her role in Fringe
    2011: Won a Fantasy Horror Award for Best Actress for her role in “Fringe”
    2011: Nominated for a Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series for her role in “Fringe”

Well some-one thinks she does ok… it’s not going to stop the g/f shouting at her!

druidh
    Free Member

saxabar – Member

BAD CALL on Firefly – I ordered it as a result of this thread and concluded it as danglies after 20mins.If you’re looking to sell it on…..

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Preferred SG Atlantis to Universe, but agree with Star Trek Voyager being good.

Not sci-fi, but Buffy is very watchable as are some of the earlier series of the X Files

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

No-one mentioned Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace yet?

legalalien
    Free Member

For the Firefly fans…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yHSaP0Dyg[/video]

z1ppy

druidh
    Free Member

legalalien – Member
    For the Firefly fans…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yHSaP0Dyg%5Bb%5DSPOILER ALERT!!!!![/b]

CountZero

There are few series that are perfect so it’s hard to recommend anything other than SG-1. Shows that didn’t quite get there: Primeval, Eureka, Warehouse 13, The Last Train, Ultraviolet. If you move away from scifi then it’s got to be Bones, Psych and Mentalist.

Well, Warehouse 13, apart from being tremendous fun, with great characters, is still going, AFAIAA. Just checked, and Season 4 will be along this year.
    Fantasy rather than our SF, but really worth watching for the outstanding casts and scripts, are:
    Dead Like Me
    Pushing Daisies
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Daisies is one of my absolute all-time favourite TV shows, love it to bits.

legalalien
    Free Member

druidh – Spoiler Alert!

Oh crap, it’s even in the chorus. 😳

[Edit – can’t seem to edit the original post].

Hopefully only fans who’ve already seen past that point will watch it…

…IGMC…

druidh
    Free Member

😛

Cougar

If you’re looking to sell it on…..

It’s fairly cheap on Blu-ray at the moment too. Tempting, though I’m not parting with my DVDs cos it’s signed by Joss and most of the principle cast.

agree with Star Trek Voyager being good.

DS9 was the best Trek IMHO, just irritating that it takes half its run to find its groove and get going properly.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Lexx definitely gets my vote.

Imagine Red Dwarf, but more adult humour

http://youtu.be/NxuUbizTVXM

shogger
    Free Member

Got to be The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy mate – the original TV series that is…not the more recent film..

LittleTones
    Free Member

Apologies for recommending Crusade – Admittedly It was cheesy, and although it was the continuation of the Babylon 5 story, it wasn’t really essential. I think if it had lasted it might have been better, in the same way Babylon 5 was.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Any good science fiction series I should watch’ is closed to new replies.