Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any good riding within Kendal area?
  • Chipbutty
    Free Member

I’m on a course in Kendal next week, staying at the Riverside hotel in town. Is it worth bringing my bike down for a bit of night riding after work? Is there anything decent within 20 mins of town?

Thanks

qwerty
    Free Member

Catch a train from Kendal to Staveley?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

* Tannoy * Postierich to the forum please….(probably on a Beach somewhere in the med on his honeymoon)..
    😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

Stavely is about 5 miles uphill from Kendal and the gateway to some lovely riding around Kentmere. I think there could also be some stuff out the other side of Kendal, I can’t remember the name of the area but we used to ride motocross bikes out there so I am guessing it’s ok for mtb. It was almost 30 yrs ago though 😳

johnj2000
    Free Member

Borrowdale was the place I was thinking of. Try here, few local rides from Kendal http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk

johnj2000
    Free Member

Oh, and I forgot to say……..lucky git!

bokonon
    Free Member

Staveley or Burnside, Long Sleddle, Kentmere etc. a lot of the bridleways round that way are fun.

tomaso
    Free Member

You can ride from town and do very local stuff over Brigsteer way or head a bit further north to Staveley and ride up into Kentmere and then go as big as you want Garburn High Street Gatesgarth Ill Bell Nan Bield Over into Troutbeck and as far you legs will carry you.

The train from Kendal going north goes to Staveley and Windermere and its probably easier to do that than ride from Kendal.

If you are in the car then you can get to Elterwater, Grasmere, Hawkshead, Claife lots of places :mrgreen:

ronburgundy

I would suggest speaking to the helpful staff at Wheelbase in Staveley. They will know some good rides out.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I’ve lived here for 8 years, and still have no idea where to ride… That’s really poor of me 🙁 I should pop in to Wheelbase really. I do keep saying I will..

grum
    Free Member

Staveley/Kentmere/Longsleddale is a great night ride – just don’t get lost oop on’t moors.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A few decent bits a bit closer to the west of Kendal – Kendal fell, Levens, even over to whitbarrow scar, too

tomaso
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bogtrotters website’s rides list for rides and if you negotiate your way to Bogtrotters routes there are loads of routes and even a Kendal and Bridgsteer ride

Personally I’d do a loop round Kentmere as a starter for the quality of the riding.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Any volunteers to show me round one night next week at a social pace. I will have a hire car so will have transport.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

No volunteers to show me a night ride round Kendal area?.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like it. Maybe now they all know you will be going they will lie in wait for you in the dark and then we will have a STW deliverance moment in the moors!

tommytowtruck

That you Mike? Plenty of decent riding round that way as said above, though I don’t know it that well myself – not been on the mountain bike in months! Claife heights would make a nice night ride, though it’s probably a good half hour drive from Kendal.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Hi Tom, yep it’s me. Still taking my bike down. Will do a bit more research and follow my nose. Just need to keep the legs spinning for the Strathpuffer in jan.

closetroadie
    Free Member

Theres a night ride up Red Screes on Wednesday.
    Steady climb/carry/push upto the top and blast down.
    Start in Ambleside main carpark about 7:45 ish

Probably not at social pace though.

tommytowtruck

Cool. We’re not far down the road from Kendal – if I hadn’t turned into a lazy fat-knacker these past few months i’d be up for a night ride!

Have fun and give us a shout if you get bored and fancy a pint one evening.

grum
    Free Member

I’m not round that area any more and also a lazy fat knacker at the mo, sorry!

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Can I not persuade you to come out for a wee ride Tom? I could come up to your neck of the woods if you want.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any good riding within Kendal area?’ is closed to new replies.