Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any good riding new Dollar?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Mate from work is heading up that way next week and is keen to take his new bike so is there anything local? Probably prefer trail centre stuff for ease of navigation etc.

stevied
    Free Member

Can someone please report this to get it moved 😳

downhilldave

Reported 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Moved.

geoffj

new Dollar?

If you mean Dollar in Clackmananshire, then Blairadam Forest and Carron Valley are within a reasonable distance. Lots of natural stuff on the doorstep though.

stevied
    Free Member

new Dollar?

Yeah, that’s what I meant 😉 Thanks, I’ll pass on the info

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Yup, lots.

Trail Centre at Carron Valley as per above (it is easy to navigate, but not a patch on the natural stuff round here). Blairadam is great, as is Pitmedden – the latter a touch less muddy, although it might all be frozen anyway. Both are easy enough to navigate. Dumyat and Mine Woods behind Stirling Uni, Perth enduro trails in the fair city.

Or just up the hill at the back…

@geoffj – you local?

euain

I had a great day exploring with this: playing in the ochils – but it was enjoying the scenery rather than high-speed gnarr.

Edit – it helped that it was July and stupidly warm and dry – but still great hills to play in.

Another vote for Dumyat – worth a look. Lots of hills to play on :).

geoffj

@geoffj – you local?

ish – just N of Perth

vorlich
    Free Member

Trail Centre at Carron Valley as per above (it is easy to navigate, but not a patch on the natural stuff round here). Blairadam is great, as is Pitmedden – the latter a touch less muddy, although it might all be frozen anyway. Both are easy enough to navigate. Dumyat and Mine Woods behind Stirling Uni, Perth enduro trails in the fair city.

I’m surprised you can even remember those! 😉

twicewithchips
    Free Member

*waves over Ochils* @geoffj

@vorlich – no need to be like that is there?

vorlich
    Free Member

Is there an end in sight to your predicament?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Is this just an evening rote he’s looking for?

If he has a half day to spare then there is a relatively easy to navigate route – along the old railway to Tillicoultry, up Silver Glen, onto Ben Cluech and back down the Andrew Gannel hill path (or up onto Kings Seat and descend directly down to Dollar) – much nicer than Carron Valley and surprisingly dry just now…

Or all the sugestions above, which will invole some driving. If he is just looking to play in the woods then try Cambusbarron on the south side of Stirling.

EDIT – Euain – that looks interesting – Cheers 🙂

bearGrease

If he likes steep hills and mud riding out of Dollar is great. A wise man once said “look at the map of the ochills, where the contour lines are close together; that’s a carry. Where the contour lines are far apart; that’s a boggy carry”.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Crikey, its only when you start writing it down you realise how good it is round here – don’t tell anyone!

A gentler version of flowerpower’s route turns left instead of right, crosses the river and round the paths at Gartmorn. Gno gnarr whatsoever, but quire pleasant (esp when there are no nettles).

Seems to me the short version of this is don’t go to carron valley…

@vorlich, no not really, just been given another 50 days. Did you get that sauna off the other thread built?

MrGrim

There’s still a little bit of snow and frozen ground above Dollar and towards Muckhart just now. You can climb from Dollar above Castle Campbell then Saddle Hill/Hillfoot Hill and either then head out towards Glen Quey reservoir which can then go round to Glen Sherup. Alteratively climb out of Dollar and head across to Commonedge Hill and Seamab.

A nice quick (couple of hours) loop is from Dollar up Hillfoot hill, across Commonedge hill to Seamab and drop down the side to Pool of Muckhart. Head through the golf course and take a right,down the hill and there’s a farm track on the left hand side of the road which takes you over to Muckhart Mill. From here follow the path signs back to dollar.

There are trails all over the place. It depends on the time your mate has available. You can do a 1 hour ride or an all day epic from Dollar.

flowerpower
    Free Member

For a small village (town?) there are a surprisingly large number of STWers lurking in the undergrowth 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Did you get that sauna off the other thread built?

I have to excavate the plunge pool first.

In the interests of contributing something worthwhile to this thread, an alternate option if you head to Glen quey from Castle Campbell is to cross over the road at Glendevon and up Borland Glen, on the shoulder of Ben Thrush, a long grassy slog to Coulshill then down Corb Glen toward the Dunning road, then back through the forest, past Fanny Burn and Burnt Hill to the Tomaukin.

MrGrim

A pint in the Tormaukin and another in the Kingseat on return are also mandatory on Vorlich’s suggested route.

For a small village (town?) there are a surprisingly large number of STWers lurking in the undergrowth

Not posh enough to live in Dollar, but they let me in occasionally 😉

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Aren’t there just – careful though, no real names on teh internets.
    Vorlich has reminded me of the ‘secret’ trails at *****. Really needs an uplift though, unless you like pushing.

(edit: that was close…)

bearGrease

The secret trails at ********** really need some decent trails not uplift

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any good riding new Dollar?’ is closed to new replies.