Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any good riding around Weymouth?
  • Lawmanmx
    Free Member

we have a camping trip planed for the coming week so any info would be greatly received 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Some nice tracks up and around the white horse. Puddletown forest by Dorchester. For a fun climb try the Merchants Incline from the harbour to the top of Portland. Not really fun at all but good views up there.

ontor
    Free Member

Puddle town woods iirc

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

nice one, I shal try Both of these then 🙂

any more?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh and for a pleasant amble take the Rodwell trail from the town centre to Portland Harbour. Its an old railway that has been made a path and is a pleasant ride if you have little ones or non fanatical cyclists with you.
    Go to Portland and have a beer at the Cove House Inn.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

aaaahhh and now you have lost me! I will be riding alone and I don’t drink, Lol

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you ride up the main climb on Portland (having ridden the Rodwell trail and then the causeway) there used to be some interesting riding above Westcliff overlooking Lyme Bay around the quarries. It’s more old skool XC really, as is most of the riding around the town, but spectacular views.

Have a look on an OS map at the amount of bridleways that exist around the town – especially along the Ridgeway (between Weymouth & Dorchester). I’ve not ridden there for years, but for a good old fashioned XC ride, going west along the Ridgeway brings you to Hardye’s Monument, and east takes you around Came Woods and across the top of the White Horse. There are bridleways that drop you off that south to Sutton Poyntz and Osmington – it’s mainly tracks but really lovely scenery.

Puddletown Forest used to be great fun too, back in the day (early ’90s… ahem!)

Have fun 🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Cheers, i’ll be staying round Osmington, so im Ok to ride this south coast path too??
    I recon im going to be taking my roady bike too, i’ll bet there’s loads of lovely quiet smooth country lanes down that way (or am I dreaming EPECIALLY about the ‘smooth) Lol

eddiebaby
    Free Member

South Coast Path is a no no. Biking is banned.

IainGillam
    Free Member

i’ll bet there’s loads of lovely quiet smooth country lanes down that way (or am I dreaming EPECIALLY about the ‘smooth) Lol

I wish you the best of luck finding them…

Puddletown Forest used to be great fun too, back in the day (early ’90s… ahem!)

My Back in the day isn’t quite as far back as that, but it does seem every time I pop back and have a wizz round it’s got less in it than last time. Admittedly I no longer live there so visit infrequently so maybe there is loads of well hidden new stuff. But if not it’s a bit of a shame really I remember as a kid loads of people rode there and we were forever building new stuff.

Iain

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

South Coast Path is a no no. Biking is banned

please tell me this Is a joke? 😮

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nope. Its a path. Like the Thames Path. No bikes.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

aaaawwwe Bluddy hell!!! 😐 🙄

thanks anyways

reevil
    Free Member

You can link up some nice bridleways if you’ve got an OS map. I’ve followed the Jubilee Trail Eastwards which is bridleways. There’s also the South Dorset Ridgeway. You can go West towards Bridport and Hardye’s Monument.

Puddletown is top fun. Essentially fireroad up and singletrack down. Much dropping and jumping.
    I’ll prob be at Puddletown on Sat if I can get away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any good riding around Weymouth?’ is closed to new replies.