• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • any good places to eat in/near Glossop?
  • IHN

Ideally with decent veggie options for the herbivorous mother in law and sister in law

RustySpanner

How posh/expensive?

Cheap – The Globe. Scruffy real ale pub with lovely all veggie menu.

Middling – The Yorkshire Bridge at Ladybower. Had a great weekend there recently.
    Much improved nowadays – busy.

Bit pricier – Rising Sun in Bamford.
    Specially if the young South African chef is still there. She was brilliant.
    Amazing food.

IHN

Cheers

Poshness wise, somewhere nice but not too fancy.

Bunnyhop

‘Peruga’ on the Glossop road (coming back towards Marple Bridge) is very nice.
    ‘Dolce Vita’ in Marple.
    ‘Libby’s’ in Marple Bridge (I think you have to book weeks in advance as so popular).

BadlyWiredDog

The newish Sri Lankan place on the High Street – see Trip Adviser, it’s the top-rated place in town – is excellent. Really interesting flavours, great service. For pub food, The Wheatsheaf in Old Glossop is good. Not sure how well suited for vegetarians, but good.

The Old Hall Inn in Chinley is fantastic though, 20 minutes drive from Glossop on the other side of Hayfield – sort of upmarket pub, but totally unpretentious, really welcoming, and brilliant food. Been there in soaking wet bike kit and they didn’t bat an eyelid while we dried our boots in front of the fire. Great place.

Also, further afield again: the Samuel Fox in Bradwell is good too. Small, friendly, unpretentious restaurant.

And the Thai Noodle bar on Glossop High Street is bloody brilliant. Not what the OP is looking for, but amazing Thai food, cooked by Thai people, served in takeaway boxes, can’t go wrong.

The Globe does great, budget-friendly vegan food and homely, home-brewed beer. Dead cheap, nice pub. They also do a mean fish finger sandwich and chips at the Oakwood.

Don’t bother with Va Bene near the station. Looks look a hair salon from the outside and is woefully overrated ime. Comedy stereotypical Italian waiters flirting hilariously with middle-aged housewives is the speciality of the house… 😉 Ruchi, the ‘posh’ Indian place was good when it first opened, but seems to have got a bit complacent recently and is a bit ordinary these days.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’ll second the Old Hall near Chinley

Gone off the Globe – used to be quaint but too many dodgy pints for my liking

My local the Oddies in Mellor does great food – not many veggie options though

No decent Indians in Glossop now – Naseeb used to be good but has gone off, Ruchi has never been good

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Forgot the Maple Tree in Marple Bridge if you like Chinese

I’m not so impressed with Libby’s in the evening, seems much better value for breakfast or lunch

IHN

Cheers. The Old Hall is actually in Whitehough, and it’s about five minutes from us (in Whaley). Not tried it yet, found like a trip over Christmas 🙂

We’re looking for somewhere more Glossop way as the folks are coming over the Woodhead from Huddersfield.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘any good places to eat in/near Glossop?’ is closed to new replies.