Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any good Diglital SLR cameras for about £300?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey all,

Started to look into Christmas presents for my other half and she mentioned that she would like a Digi SLR.

I have seen the likes of the Canon G9/10 which look good but these are technically not what she is after!

Can anyone advise me on a good SLR around £300 or do I need to up the budget big time?

Cheers

Will

br
    Free Member

I've an Olympus E400, you may still be able to get one, but I think they've been replaced by the E420. I like it, easy to use and light.

But you'll need more budget to get an extra lens, or look for the body and 2 lens kit?

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Get a Nikon D70 off ebay…an awesome reliable camera, £1,000 when new, now going for £200ish with lens.

grumm
    Free Member

The Sony one for about that much is meant to be alright isn't it?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I've got the Sony Alpha 20. I think it sells for about £280 now. I'm very happy with it, but I'm no expert

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I've got a Panasonic G1, which isn't a DSLR, but has a nice big sensor and interchangeable lenses. I really like it because it is small, light and compact, so I find myself using it more than the Nikon D50 I had before. Oh hang on, I think it's a little bit more than £300 actually, sorry. If you can stretch to it, I'm sure your wife would love it.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Nikon D3000 leading the way at the moment I think-lots of good reviews and seems to be available for not much more tha £300.

Any other ideas apart from those already mentioned?

spence
    Free Member

Looking at the same thing today.

Considering the Sony Alpha 230 (looked at one in John Lewis £349), felt OK with a few good features (image stabilisation etc) but reading reviews it's not coming out very well. The older 200 is better apparently. Also looked at the Canon 1000D (JL £399), didn't feel very well made, a bit plasticy.

Coming home and reading some more reviews have almost settled on the D3000 as it does seem to getting some good ones. Will go look at one tomorrow. I know JL have them at £399 plus there is a £30 cash back from Nikon at the mo. I'm sure they are cheaper elsewhere on the net.

Also thought about a Pentax K-M (will take some old lenses I have) but as yet not seen one in the flesh or available of web

Mintman
    Free Member

I bought a Nikon D40 with 2 lenses for £350 about 6 months ago which has done me well. It even has a screen with pictures on it that beginners like me can understand.

I've got a feeling they've stopped making them now but sure you might find one if you shop around. The best deal I found was Argos.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I'd go for something 2nd hand. You can get a Canon EOS 400D with lens for about £320. I bought a 350D last year, it's really good and was in perfect condition. I definately wouldn't bother with one of the really expensive compacts though.

grantway
    Free Member

Go for the Nikon or Cannon camera
    Both makes have a camera around this price.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Glad to hear someone else is thinking the same as me Spence! It really does get good reviews-the only downside are some folks reckon it has a few less features than the Canon/Sony etc but the build quality and ease of use would outweigh this in my eyes! Tempted by one for myself now actually…..

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The Nikon D40 for around £250 was a steal. Are they still around?

manitou
    Free Member

another vote for the D70. I use one. excellent bit of kit. if a little out of date!

el_diablo
    Free Member

A 300 quid DSLR should be pretty decent nowadays, but don't under estimate how much top quality lenses cost. If you're not planning on having a few lenses and flash guns etc, you need to think if you really need a DSLR. There's some excellent compacts available for much less than £300.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any good Diglital SLR cameras for about £300?’ is closed to new replies.