Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any good deals on Lights around?
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

It must be coming to the end of the season for buying lights now so I am hoping I might be able to pick up a decent light at a discounted price. I am after a reasnoble light to ride offroad mainly bridal ways don't need more than 2 hours of burn time. I don't want to take the risk of the Bas*rd light and I can't afford one of Trouties amazing creations. Budget really needs to be £150 for light, battery charger. Don't mind if it is helmet or bar mounted.

Cheers Bigsurfer.

BoardinBob

I don't want to take the risk of the Bas*rd light

Risk of breaking or risk of delivery time?

If it's delivery time then my mate ordered one recently and it was here within a couple of weeks

billyboulders
    Free Member

And if it's risk of breaking I've had mine six months. No problems whatsoever. Can't really see why you'd want anything else really.

Unless you can afford a Troutlight.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

What is a Bas*rd light?

trout
    Free Member

Battery and charger from smudge is £77

I can knock you up a no frills 1000 lumen bar light and come in to your budget

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

bigsurfer , email sent to ya

Ewan
    Free Member

I'd get the DX light (I have no idea why people insist on calling it a swear word – it's a bit retarded).

Get it from here:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

Or get the head mounted version.

Mine is great. Three hours run time, hasn't broken, quite robust, and most importantly, good value.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I can knock you up a no frills 1000 lumen bar light and come in to your budget

From what I've seen of his stuff I would bite his hand off at this offer! (at last, I've seen a troughtlight/smudge combo in the flesh, a friend bought one for chrimbo to himself, I am a goldsmith in the day job and I know a good piece of craft when I see it) 🙂

starseven
    Free Member

Exposure Diablo £170 less any wiggle voucher you can find.

billyboulders
    Free Member

(I have no idea why people insist on calling it a swear word – it's a bit retarded).

That IS it's proper name. 🙂

(was going to say do a search for bastid but I don't get here often and I see the search function is fubar now)

Ewan
    Free Member

Clearly not, that's just what trout decided to call it. Calling it a bastard light is retarded.

trout
    Free Member

Ewan for what it is worth I called it the bastid .as a term of endearment

I have never slagged it off Go read the thread .

I think it is a great light for the money and has probably enticed more folks into night riding than anything this season .

but the truth is the lying Bastids say it is 900 lumens on hi and 500 on low so a bit of miss selling going on .

and the batteries are not very robust in the UK weather but at £50 who cares if it dies after one season.

Ewan
    Free Member

Trout, I know you called it the bastid as a term of endearment. I have read the thread. I never suggested you were slagging it off; not sure why you think I did suggest that having re-read my posts?

I was just saying that everyone persisting calling it a bastard is stupid – in the same way as calling any convertible car a hairdressers car is stupid.

Anyway as you say, it's not up to the quality standards of a 600 quid light, but then it only costs 50 quid. You're right about the battery – I've wrapped mine in cling film and then gaffer tape, it's survived snow and all sorts.

As for it mis-claiming it's 900lmns, then I should think most lights do this – manufacturers go for the big number – take the max possible output for a given LED bin and say that's what the light produces. In most cases I doubt this is true, you've got reflector losses, and the beam pattern will make much more difference than a small nominal increase in the number of lumens. You'd be better off testing lights targeted at a standardised target and quoting in lux. Although then manufacturers would then just change lights to beat the test…

walla24
    Free Member

out of interest, as an owner, how many lumens do reckon it kicks out?

Ewan
    Free Member

I have no idea, that's my point, lumens are a bit of a silly measurement without taking into account beam pattern (e.g. it could be putting all it's light into the sky).

However when I compared it to a Hope 4 LED job, it seems about the same, although with a slightly more wider spread. Certainly less bright than a FourForth light which has a quoted output of 1200lmns. Bit less bright than a Wilma.

Certainly powerful enough to ride with at full speed in singletrack. I normally use a head torch as well tho, so I can see round corners…

M6TTF
    Free Member

Trout: the no frills bar light you mention, would/could that become a permanent fixture in the trout line up? I'd also like a light around that sort of budget but I'm not that keen on the dx, and to be honest I'd rather share my hard earned in this country with the cottage industries on here!

trout
    Free Member

Ewan I guess I was a bit prickly please accept my apologies .

You make some good points too it is not so much how many lumens but where they go which is why the Liberator took off as it does not so much have a beam as light the trail all over even to the sides by the wheel .

M6TTF.
    Yes I reckon it could become a fixture will need to speak to my machinist mate and see what we can come up with on a budget.

certainly with the leds available now the component count is reducing
    and hi low on off seem to be the desired options

I've been happy with my Ay-Ups for the last couple of years, so I haven't really kept up to date with what else is available, but I saw a link to these on the Midland Trailquest site recently.
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/index.php
    They look a good deal, but I don't know how they compare to what else is around now.

uplink
    Free Member

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/index.php
    They look a good deal, but I don't know how they compare to what else is around now.

That is the same one as the bastid from Hong Kong – someone has just imported them & doubled the price
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

M6TTF
    Free Member

Great stuff trout, I'll watch and wait 🙂

trout
    Free Member

OK here is what it looks like at the moment will weigh around 55 grammes
    floody beam if XPGs on board or more spotty beam if XPEs on board .

Oring mounting seems good enough for Lupine

JellyBabyLover
    Free Member

Exposure Diablo, £164 with free red eye and P&P … not bad

http://www.xcracer.com/jn_shop/viewproduct.php?productid=54

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I've got a tidy set of Lumicycles in the classifieds

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I bought a Dx light which is great when I can get it to stay in hi mode!!! When I first turn it on into hi mode it drops to low after about a second or two.

I need to keep turning it off and on until it eventaully stays in hi mode.

I can't be arsed sending it back. Anyone else have this problem?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any good deals on Lights around?’ is closed to new replies.