Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Any good curry houses near Manchester airport?
  • jkomo

Going to Manchester airport Hilton for two days of ‘Personal Developement’ FFS.
    We’ll probably head into town tomorrow night, but are there any decent pubs/ curry houses near the airport for tonight?

nbt

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden, hands down

jkomo

Thats tonight sorted.
    Any nice pubs near there?

binners

Nice pubs in Northenden? Erm…..

I’d head into Wilmslow if you’re staying near the airport. If you’re after a few beers afterwards. There are loads of decent places to eat, and some decent boozers. It wouldn’t be much in a cab

nbt

There’s no decent curry in Wilmslow though

The woodstock on Barlow Moor Road is ok

http://goo.gl/maps/xD93i

Or a bit more poncey (Binners has been known to frequent and recommend if), the Metropolitan on Burton Road

http://goo.gl/maps/AhStr

If you;re going there, though, consider eating at The Great Kathmandu across the road. The Gurkha Gruill is sadly no more, I believe. The Lime Tree is great for a veggie restaurant

binners

Good call nbt

sefton
    Free Member

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden

A lot of Indian friends tell me this is the best in Manchester!

agent007
    Free Member

sefton – Member

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden

A lot of Indian friends tell me this is the best in Manchester!

Going to have to try this one at some point. OP you won’t go wrong with The Great Katmandu on Burton Road, West Didsbury. Great Kathmandu It’s my local and every time I go it’s good – Sag Gosht (Lamb) is great and the mushroom rice is like a meal in itself. Probably about £10-15 for a cab from the airport.

Forget the famous curry mile in Rusholme – there’s some very good places but unfortunately lots and lots that are mediocre or bad, and unfortunately without knowing it really well then there’s too much chance you’ll hit a bad one.

Plus when you’ve finished you’ve got all the pubs on Burton Road to go to. The Metropolitan is nice but expensive, The Railway is cheap as chips and a proper drinking den, or try Folk or Marie and Archie for somewhere chilled with a good range of drinks.

jkomo

Cheers all.
    Awesome info.

jkomo

So, Burton Road first, then curry, fab.
    Quite like real ale and proper boozer.

binners

If it doesn’t HAVE to be a curry. How about The Turkish Delight in Chorlton

Rightfully awarded the best kebab in the country last year. about the same distance as Didsbury in a cab. My favourite restaurant of any description. Loads of really good boozers for when you’ve finished

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden, hands down

Nepalese. Fantastic.

agent007
    Free Member

Mmmm, that Turkish Delight place in Chorlton sounds pretty good Binners. Might have to pop past there next time I’m over that way.

cb

The Eastern Revive in Wilmslow is good

jkomo

Best kebab in the country, you say.
    That is a might fine recommendation..

hmanchester
    Free Member

If you want real ale and a “proper boozer” then The Met proabably isn’t your best bet…

Maybe the Dog and Partridge or Fletcher Moss in East Didsbury would be a better option.

Can’t argue with Either Khatmandu (Northendon or Burton Road).

Stay away from Rusholme. It’s well below the level of the places further south or in the city centre. Unless you like shisha…

The Gurkha Gruill is sadly no more, I believe. The Lime Tree is great for a veggie restaurant

Gurkha Grill is still going fine, well I went a couple of weeks ago anyway! Good curry house, but there are better options in my opinion. As to the veggie Lime Tree, I think you may be thinking of Greens across the road.

binners

It really is the best in the country too! The king sized mixed is truly one of the wonders of the world. I think we’re due another night ride finishing there to sample the goodies

jkomo

I’m feeling kebab.

nbt

Definitely thinking of the Lime Tree, but wrong in thinking of it being veggie. My mistake

agent007
    Free Member

I’m feeling kebab.

If you go this option then why not afterwards walk 5 mins up the road to Pi Chorlton Pi Chorlton

Always some quality real ales in, a huge menu of Belgian beers that could destroy even the most hardened drinker, plus you get a free cup of nuts with every round. What’s not to like?

binners

jkomo – I can’t recommend it highly enough. Its awesome. Great place too as it looks like just a normal kebab house, you walk through and the door leads you into the restaurant you never realised was there. Like an episode of Mr Benn 😀

I’d recommend trying the Firin Kebab – Its a knuckle of lamb baked (for hours) in the oven with a tomato and pepper sauce

Washed down with a few of these..

EDIT: Pi is indeed great. And you’ve got the Marble Beer House half way between the two. Or Dulcimer just round the corner

lowey

The Jai is my local curry house if working late. Superb.

jkomo

Well, having a pint in the soulless hell hole that is the Hilton, off to Pi as soon as my partner gets his arse down here, then Marble Beer House, then The best Kebab ever, then back to this shi t hole.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

About ten minutes from Manchester Airport is my local curry house called Jalfreezi in Bramhall. Good menu, good service and a few bars and a ‘proper pub’ next door but one! Worth a look, but as i say about a ten minute drive / taxi journey away.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I like the cinnamon tree Indian in heald green, nearest village to Manchester airport, 10/15 min walk or £5 in a cab

edward2000
    Free Member

Binners/Agent007 – do you two live in West Didsbury? I live very close to Siemens. If im welcome, give us a shout if you go for a local ride one evening! I’d like to come with, meet new folk etc. Email is in profile.

Cheers

Ed

binners

I’m concerned for jkomo now. Do we know how he got on? Is he in a blissed out, char-grilled meat coma?

edward – I lived in Chorlton for years, but I’m out in the East Lancs sticks nowadays

agent007
    Free Member

Maybe he had one too many beers at Pi and went MIA?

Hi Ed, yep West Didsbury. Always up for riding most weeks so will PM you.

dooosuk
    Free Member

EDIT: Pi is indeed great. And you’ve got the Marble Beer House half way between the two. Or Dulcimer just round the corner

Late I know, but you’ve now also got Font a couple of doors up from Pi where Iguana bar used to be. Has a pretty good selection on when I called at the weekend.

jkomo

Hi All.
    We went from the Marble to the Dulcimer, then over the road to the kebab place opposite, which was fab. We had a starter of chicken wings and kebab, then a curry and nan.
    The Turkish Delight finished too early for us.
    Great evening.
    Hoping to get out early tonight, for some more beer and kebab action.
    Where’s busy on a Tuesday night?

hmanchester
    Free Member

What location are you looking at, Manchester has a few options! Although they do reduce on a Tuesday….

If you’re looking at East Didsbury for beers and kebab you could do worse than:

Fletcher Moss
    Dog and Partridge
    Slightly more shiny/less pubby venue: Didsbury Lounge
    Kebab: Urban Grille

If you go into Withington:

Red Lion
    The Victoria
    Kebab: Well worth the 10 minute walk into Fallowfield to go to Saajans (opposite Sainsburys)

West Didsbury – less pubby, slightly swankier:

The Metropolitan
    Violet Hour
    Folk
    Curry: Great Khatmandu

binners

Glad you had a good night. Sounds like the personal development is going well

You heading into town tonight. If you’re after busy, I’d say head for Odd Bar or Trof the northern quarter. Can’t go far wrong on jkebabs in any of the little cafes around there. Loads more bars around there too.

Or try Sand Bar or the The Deaf Institute on Oxford Road, then have a mosey down to Rusholme. Thats probably easier from the airport

jkomo

Had a great night, thanks.
    Might do deaf institute, there’s an Indy night thing on.

grum
    Free Member

Turkish Delight in Chorlton – decent but unspectacular IMO. I would definitely have been disappointed if I’d read binners’ spaffing over it before going there. 😛

Northern Quarter is definitely a fun place to go for drinks – lots of nice places all near each other. Pretty pricy and quite a few pretentious types but still good.

binners

Have we not had last nights report back yet then?

portlyone

The meat platter in Turkish Delight is a de… wonderful.

I always get sidetracked by Atlantic Fish Whale Bar though 😳

I noticed the new bar at Iguana’s old site and wondered if it was an ale place…
    Beer in the Beagle is pretty decent too.

agent007, edward2000 et al I’m in Chorlton if you want to meet up for a ride.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I noticed the new bar at Iguana’s old site and wondered if it was an ale place…

Apparently the same owners as Font near Oxford Road Station on New Wakefield Street. Aimed at a completely different crowd though and the draught offerings look good (but bear in mind I’m not an ale drinker).

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Any good curry houses near Manchester airport?’ is closed to new replies.