Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Any good apps to help nervous plane passengers?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I noticed someone on their phone with some kind of flight simulating app while flying home from holiday yesterday and wondered if anyone has used one they would recommend? As usual Google is throwing out a wild range of options in a confusing way so I’d appreciate any genuine ideas.

Oh, and it’s for me. Flying is one thing that serious takes me out of my comfort zone to the point of dissuading me from going away!

Thanks

mightymule
    Free Member

Valium.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A strong Drink
    Some strong Drugs
    Someone to hold your hand

or all 3

mightymule
    Free Member

NB – I wasn’t being facetious about the valium. It’s had a bad press, but when it’s really needed it is definitely worth having.

wallop

I went to Australia about ten years ago. I was flying on my own which I knew would be hideously boring, so I went to the doctor and feigned a fear of flying in order to get some Valium. He said it was very common to prescribe Valium for people scared of flying, and he sent me on my way with three 2mg tablets.

I promptly went home and swapped them for some of my mum’s 10mg tablets.

She was none the wiser and I had a bloody great flight to Sydney with my 10mg Valium and free BA booze, weh-hey!

restless
    Free Member

I am flying to America on Saturday and don’t look forward to it .

Last year I watched Final Destination – it didn’t help!

Cougar

OH found that researching what all the various plane noises were to be a great help.

disben

There are many ways of trying to remove the fear – the way I put it to my sister in law when she flew here to the UK for the first time late last year, the pilot is more often than not, sane, and wants to get home to his / her family asap. That means the safest possible flight.

Its also good to try and enjoy the take off – I know it can be the most fearful bit as there is a lot of G involved. Just imagine its a roller coaster – just with more freedom of movement. As someone that learnt to fly as a young age (through the cadets) but doesnt fly any more (cost£££), flying is awesome fun. Personally I don’t like going on rollercoasters as you are fixed in and the G forces are more feelable!

A good book is often a good way to ignore the fear around – maybe a thriller or action book so you are engrossed…? Just an idea!

Guessing the crew might not let you use an app / ebook so consider paperback!

(I am not trying to antagonise those who fear flying, just trying to help put it in to perspective and make it easier)

HTH

disben

And regarding researching plane noises – good idea – also sitting further forward would probably remove more of the noises (less flaps/slats/engines etc)

croen
    Free Member

http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

Or have I misread the OP?

toys19
    Free Member

I can support the valium/booze idea. I walked away from boarding a plane in 2000, after 3 years of work flying me all round europe twice a month, somehting snapped. I just believed that the flight was goign to be my last. High neurotic paranoia methinks. I talked myself around and had to pay for the next flight out of my own pocket to try and make my work appontments.

Since then I have been a regular visitor to the docs for valium, a few gins and beers and flights are one of the best piss ups you can have. I look forward to it now.

The thing about valium is not that you no longer believe that the plane will most likely crash, but it’s just that you no longer give a damn..

enfht
    Free Member

Glass of milk worked for Mr T

enduroforever
    Free Member

I used to be so scared of flying that one year I went on a coach holiday to Spain because I would not get on a plane. Spending 33 hours on a stinking bus full of scumbags instantly cured my fear if flying and Ive never looked back.

flange
    Free Member

In response to your original question – virgin do one available through the App Store. I can’t report how good it is but it’s definitely there…things you find in the App Store eh!

bigyim
    Free Member

another vote for valium. I HATE flying and was avoiding going on holiday. Went to the docs and she gave me some tablets. Takes the edge off it totally

rebel12
    Free Member

This may sound counterproductive at first, but why not book yourself onto an hours trial flight in a 2 seater at your local aerodrome or flying school?

That’s what my Uncle did and it seemed to work for him (well my Aunty actually booked it). In a very small plane all sensations are heightened. There’s way more noises, the turbulence is much more noticeable and the sensation of height and speed seem greater.

I think he said that his fear of flying stemmed from his lack of knowledge and the fear of not being in control. Having learned a bit about the theory of flight on his trial lesson and had a go at taking control of the aircraft himself then he said his previous fear has left him and he can now relax and enjoy the ride on a commercial jet. I think my Aunty is delighted as they can now fly to all the places she’s been wanting to go to for years.

nickwgbr
    Free Member

I can attest to the post above, earlier in my career I used to be a flying instructor in light aircraft, had quite a few people come through wanting to cure fear of flying. A 15 min brief on what we were going to do followed by a short flight where they could see what was happening and take the controls did work for quite a few (oddly apart from my own mother but there you go, maybe she just didn’t trust me!).

Got some nice letters off people who’d been on hol for the first time in many years. In most cases it was the small amount if knowledge and perspective they had gained on what happens that made the difference, giving them something to focus on and points of recognition (like understanding taxiway marker signs, or why we use flaps) rather than being stuck in a metal tube with no clue about what was actually going on and minds running rampant – which is also why the engrossing book is a good idea.

Now as a commercial jockey the regulation, training, recurrent training and checks, combined with the airworthiness requirements for the plane itself make for a very safe environment.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Obviously the air traffic control game and even to a certain extent, Angry Birds, aren’t really going to help.

martinhutch

Valium also useful for tuning out the noisy 2-year-old in the seat behind you during a 24-hour flight.

steveoath
    Free Member

This…

mikewsmith
    A strong Drink
    Some strong Drugs
    Someone to hold your hand

or all 3

Couple of beers, diazepam and the wife 🙂 Although she’s a bit miffed that I left bruises last time 😳

I hate flying, but its a necessary evil if you want to head off to see the big yellow thing in the sky.

Flaperon

BA Fear of Flying courses get excellent feedback. Run by pilots, doctors, and psychologists. I have a vague recollection that there’s a channel dedicated to it on the in flight entertainment with BA too.

http://flyingwithconfidence.com/courses

martymac

shcn apps would help.
    until exactly 1 year ago i was slightly worried about flying, i even started a thread about it on here.
    then i went to canada, 8 hours on the plane, and honestly i loved it.
    a plane when its flying is like a porsche 911 doing 80 mph on a deserted motorway, ie its the gentlest cruise imaginable.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

There’s a great little book called “Easy way to enjoy flying” by Allen Carr (Not the comedian). Rather than techniques and positive thinking it dispells all the myths which most fears relate to. It also explains a lot of the safety points the pilot above mentions, including the noises, how turbulence is normal and how planes fly faster than any wind. It’s good.

I loved flying as a child but found myself worrying more and more as an adult. A friend recommended this books and it’s really helped. I get better with every flight now.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Download the film Alive and watch on an iPad.

Cougar

Valium also useful for tuning out the noisy 2-year-old in the seat behind you during a 24-hour flight.

That’s a great idea. What do you do, slip it into their juice?

Kryton57

I’ve done all that, didn’t work. I now get enough Valium by perscription to experience the BA Baracus effect.

gee68
    Free Member

+1 for Diazepan.

I’d stopped going on holiday abroad completely due to the fear of flying,couldn’t sleep for weeks in advance of a flight it was so bad.

Now i pop 4/5 pills,couple of pints and a chaser and i vary rarely remember getting on the plane never mind the flight. :lol:The only downside to this approach is we’ve neally missed several flights as i’ve wandered off or refuse to rush.Apparently my wife get’s quite embarrassed about being the last on the plane.
    I go a little bit easier on the dosage nowadays. 😳

somouk
    Free Member

I do a lot of flying so encounter a lot of people afraid of it. Most people seem to be worried about the take off and landing procedures and noises so finding out what they are always helps.

Maybe a flight in a small light aircraft where the pilot can explain what’s really going on will help.

andrewh
    Free Member

Another vote for small aircraft. I’ve flown in a little Cesna, a 2 seat helicoptor and a microlite (just a passenger) Much less scary than the big ones, you can see exactly what is going on and how stuff works.
    It’s just take-off and landing I find unpleasent, not scared but sligtly nervous. Window seat is better, gives a better idea of what’s happening.
    Can’t see how an app will help TBH.

steveoath
    Free Member

We went in one of those tiny planes on a flight over kauai. I was made to sit in front next to pilot. F*cking straight up terrifying.

Helios
    Free Member

MrsH is scared of flying – nearly scuppered our honeymoon as she refused to board the plane.

She went on the Virgin flying without fear course thingy – said it was really good, and has been loads better since. They explained loads of the physics of flying, and what all the noises were and about the safety measures on board.

She has their app now too and finds it pretty helpful. It has exercises and relaxation stuff on there to do with breathing.

These days I always grab the steward(ess) and explain she’s a nervous flyer. They are usually really helpful and come and chat to her and make sure she’s alright on the flight. Last time we flew Virgin together the steward got the co-pilot to come back and say hello and that was really helpful in calming her down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t see how an app will help TBH

It’s just this looped for 9 hours:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GPO_EtU14[/video]

peterfile
    Free Member

I always find that reading the Quran out loud helps to relax me.

jp-t853

I read a book during take off and landing. Usually I do not realise we have landed until we are rolling along the runway smoothly.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Any good apps to help nervous plane passengers?’ is closed to new replies.