Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any Gas fitters on here? Concern for aged parents content.
  • beanum

Firstly, apologies if this turns out to be a long post..

My parents found out the other day that their boiler needs replacing. The British Gas guy tried calling it in via the helpline but was getting nowhere so told the helpdesk to delete everything and he would do it himself. He then called a mate to come round who told my parents that they need a 30kW boiler, there are only two models and it would cost £3400.. He had problems seeing where the gas lines come in and out and mentioned the possibility of replacing lots of pipes and lifting up part of the kitchen to do so. He’s coming back but only after 5pm on a Saturday as he likes to watch the football..

I live abroad so don’t know how much a new boiler should cost but 2 minutes tapping away on the British Gas website suggested £1200 for the boiler and £1800 for the installation so that seems fair, its just the extra work he’s suggesting that sounds suspicious.
    The house is two storeys with four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It’s actually over a shop in a high street so the boiler is on the ground floor in a small hallway (effectively a third floor).

I’m not sure if this is simply two British Gas guys going out of their way to help an old couple, maybe with a little moonlighting, or if he/they are trying to scam my parents. Maybe I’m over-reacting but I’ve told them not to write any cheques or give him any money until they’ve checked with British Gas directly.

Any thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Call 3 people and get 3 quotes. Got a mate who can go round when they will do the quotes?

wwaswas

The British Gas guy tried calling it in via the helpline but was getting nowhere so told the helpdesk to delete everything and he would do it himself.

I’d be very anxious about this, having a ‘bit of trouble’ with your employers helpline is not a reason to suddenly decide to do the whole job privately and probably for cash too.

Not suggesting you dob him in but might be worth talking to BG and getting a quote direct. You’ll get a guaranteed backup for 3 years, not some bloke fitting it in around his day job and love of footie.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t let British gas near it, They should be wearing masks. Scheisters.

I got a local reputable company, who came well recommended, to fit a 32Kw Ideal boiler, 2 new radiators and replace a fair few metres of piping as well and all in it was £2616. Boiler has a 10 year parts and labour warranty as long as I get a registered installer (ie the guys who installed it) to service once a year.

If you still have any friends or ex work colleagues or anything in the area, drop them a line and ask them if they can recommend anyone.

nickjb
    Free Member

Firstly does their boiler need replacing? It seems to be the default option but they can often be fixed or serviced. Even if it is not that efficient £3k buys you a lot of gas. I’d get a second or even third opinion on that then get a few quotes if it really does need changing. Finally British Gas don’t have a fantastic reputation for service or price.

beanum

Call 3 people and get 3 quotes

This all came about when the guy they paid to install smart meters turned off the boiler and it wouldn’t come back on, he called British Gas. I was under the impression that only British Gas are “allowed” to deal with the gas installation in houses, can my parents go independent?

I don’t have any mates nearby, my parents moved to Shropshire about the time I moved abroad, my mates are all in Portsmouth..

wwaswas

I was under the impression that only British Gas are “allowed” to deal with the gas installation in houses, can my parents go independent?

Absolutely.

People fitting it need to be registered but otherwise any independent can do ti.

nickjb
    Free Member

Anyone Gas Safe registered can look at it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

can my parents go independent?

Of course they can.

Lots of folks on here from Shrops, I’m sure a few of them could suggest a reputable company.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, British Gas are the last people I’d call out. Local, recommended firm anyday.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

As long as they are Gas Safe registered with relevant competencies on their card they can install it. Get Gas Safe number off the individuals card or business and you can check they are legit via the Gas Safe Website.

The “extra” work hes talking about maybe to do with the gas supply, most new boilers require a 22mm gas supply to the boiler, most older types have 15mm so they obviously need a complete re pipe to satisfy this demand from the boiler.

It maybe the original fault is simply a new thermocouple required or something more serious whereby it would be labelled Immediately Dangerous or At Risk with a sticker attached to the boiler and paperwork given to your parents. Id get someone else to check out the original problem before diving into a new boiler.

Shop around, get quotes, check them out…

Gas Safe link to website

chickenman

British Gas will be anything up to 100% dearer than necessary. Their usual trick is to say all the pipework needs replacing (it is true that going from an old low pressure (open vented) system to a modern sealed one can run into problems with old pipe joins but usually there is not a problem).
    A new boiler should really cost less than £2000 fully fitted (look up online to see what it actually costs for YOU to buy a boiler; there are some pretty hefty profit margins going on out there!).

nealglover
    Free Member

The British Gas guy tried calling it in via the helpline but was getting nowhere so told the helpdesk to delete everything and he would do it himself. He then called a mate

ALL of that sounds VERY dodgy to me.

Aside from the fact that they should really be avoiding British Gas anyway (unless they have money to burn)

They certainly shouldn’t be going anywhere near either of those two guys again.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not much more to add other than BG fitters are sales reps (google BG vacancies) Apart from the massively inflated install costs, the fitters are forced to push BG’s extortionate service contracts on vulnerable/uninformed customers, with many paying over the odds for unnecessary new boilers and expensive service contracts. Wouldn’t p155 on them if they were on fire.

breadcrumb

At our last house we had British Gas in to quote us for a new boiler, it was nearly £1000 more than the plumbers we went for. IIRC, it was £1800-2000 for a Bosch 28kw.

project
    Free Member

one of my elderley customers had BG call round for a yearly gas safety check they demanded a vewnt intot he attic from the hall for the boiler to breathe, despite no troble for previous 12 years, they wanted lots of quids for a plastic vent through loft hatch..

BG seem to have a strange calculator that always adds on a huge % to all costs, and then they usually do a poor job at a high price.

as above 3 estimates, gas safe certificate/card with relevant compentancies

project
    Free Member

oh and if your parents are older than 75 or on benefits various schemes exist for free boiler installation, paid for by the governmnet

beanum

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I got an update last night, the guy came back and found the gas input pipe so all talk of taking up the kitchen is gone. It looks like he’s certainly legit, with lots of British Gas paperwork etc.
    The only real issue is the price now, so I guess my Dad will be shopping around for other quotes..

Thanks again.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve just had a 3 bedroomed house done for £2,900. New boiler, rads, all pipework and installation by a gas safe registered fitter. (Basically a new system from scratch).
    If you’re parents are Leicestershire way I could give you his number, he’s done lots for us and is a very reliable honest chap.

Edit: just read they are in Shropshire, sorry

nealglover
    Free Member

It looks like he’s certainly legit, with lots of British Gas paperwork etc.

As everyone has already said. British Gas have a reputation of being far from “legit” when it comes to recommending a boiler be replaced. And even further from legit when it comes to the price (of the work that may not even need doing)

tomlevell

I always tell people to budget £2k to replace a boiler that I’ve not seen or know anything about. 90% of the time this should be too much but gives a good idea that it’s not £1k.
    All depends on what extra work needs doing. Gas upgrading especially if going to a combi from a traditonal system. Flueing issues etc.

Your boiler doesn’t sound like it isn’t in the ideal, easy, position but if it’s a BG employee they should not be getting a mate in to come up with a price. Shop around. Remember the cheapest price isn’t necessarily best either!

nuke

At our last house we had British Gas in to quote us for a new boiler, it was nearly £1000 more than the plumbers we went for. IIRC, it was £1800-2000 for a Bosch 28kw.

^ same for me…even with some faux boiler scrappage discount BG were offering. Wouldn’t even bother getting them to quote in future

footflaps

The “extra” work hes talking about maybe to do with the gas supply, most new boilers require a 22mm gas supply to the boiler, most older types have 15mm so they obviously need a complete re pipe to satisfy this demand from the boiler.

Not quite true. You now have to have less than 1mb pressure drop when running at full tilt, which may or may not need a 22mm pipe depending on the length of the run and how much flow is required at full tilt.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

BG + barge poll, they were 4x more expensive than the next company we used.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any Gas fitters on here? Concern for aged parents content.’ is closed to new replies.