Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any gas experts? Converting NPT to BSP for oxyacetylene
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Got a bit of a problem with an economiser I just bought – I forgot that the oxyacetylene torch I use is an American one, so it uses NPT threads not BSP ones. Is there a way to convert 3/8″ NPT to BSP for oxyacetylene?

Can find a bunch of converters for heating pipes and the like, none with the LH threads needed for acetylene.

Lesson to self: sit down and think before buying cheap kit on eBay 😉

white101

try a company called leengate valves, they might have something.
    in a previous life we used to get all manner of fittings from them.
    you’ll have to google them, think they were notts based.

bencooper
    Free Member

Great, thanks, I’ll give them a go!

For tapered threads on air fittings, they are so close they are considered interchangeable.
    Then again, acetelyne is explosive, so it may be best to get the right thing.

TheFlyingOx

If you Google for adapters you’ll find loads. All seem to be brass though. If you want stainless, you might have to go through one of the instrument tubing/fitting manufacturers.

footflaps

Then again, acetelyne is explosive, so it may be best to get the right thing.

What’s the worst that could happen?

😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, found loads – just not with a LH thread for the acetylene 😉

Swelper
    Free Member

Personally i would have a natter with a local machine shop, they may be able to knock up an adaptor or recut the thread to a more suitable connection (assuming this is possible considering wall thickness)saves and endless search on the net and probably cheaper

We use Hydrasun but saying that delivery would probably be lengthy

I’ve never used an economiser, so wasn’t sure what it was until I looked it up.
    Is it something like this you have got ?

It’s not connected directly to either the cylinder/gauge/flashback arrestor or torch, so surely all you need is a hose with BSP one end and NPT the other.
    That should be easy enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any gas experts? Converting NPT to BSP for oxyacetylene’ is closed to new replies.