Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any gas engineers in today?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

So when my colleague’s hot tap at home is running, the gas pressure at the cooker ring reduces. When the hot tap is turned off, the cooker’s gas returns to full flame.

1: What could be causing this?

2: How dangerous is the situation, potentially?

C’mon hive.

martinhutch

Presumably a combi boiler running off the same supply?

It’s dangerous, obviously. If the ring goes out and fails to reignite, but carries on pumping out the gas. Boom! etc.

Needs an engineer pronto to look at why there is an insufficient supply – pipe diameters, distances etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like undersized pipe. Ideally it should at least 22mm and probably 28mm at least up the point it branches. It won’t pass building regs, not sure about the dangers but its not a good thing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Almost certainly insufficient pipe diameter meaning the demand can’t be met.

Reduced flow to the hob can lead to incomplete combustion (and that’s not good!)

Tell him to get it checked ASAP.

northernmatt

What they said. Although if the hob has an FFD/FSD it’ll shut the gas off if the flame goes out stopping the potential Boom! etc scenario.

nealglover
    Free Member

If the installer didn’t know how to spec pipe sizes properly, I wouldn’t trust the FFD to be tested either 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s not a pipe diameter problem. Up until two days ago, this wasn’t happening.

I have emphasised the danger (martinhutch) and he has contacted his landlord to take immediate action.

footflaps

They used to just pick a pipe size eg 15mm, now you have to show less than 1mb pressure drop under load.

martinhutch

Meter fault or supply-side issue possibly then. As long as landlord is getting it checked quickly.

footflaps

There is a flow regulator on the meter which could be duff, had mine changed a few years back. 5 min job for the gas board.

cardo

Sounds like the regulator isn’t delivering the correct pressure into the property. Get it checked by a Gas safe engineer you should have 21mbar +\- 2mbar if it is below this the that would give the symptoms you describe. Only Transco can fit a new regulator BTW.

tomd
    Free Member

I got all excited at the thread title, then sad at the wanton misuse of “engineer”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sounds like the regulator isn’t delivering the correct pressure into the property. Get it checked by a Gas safe engineer you should have 21mbar +\- 2mbar if it is below this the that would give the symptoms you describe. Only Transco can fit a new regulator BTW.

Brilliant. Thanks.

wanton misuse of “engineer”.

😳 😀

martinhutch

I got all excited at the thread title, then sad at the wanton misuse of “engineer”.

You seem embittered. These people can help…

http://life-engineering.com/

totalshell

or the pipe could be blocked with debris.. scale can form on the inside of pipework especially lead and then flake off and block taps/valves either way not good . not safe to use so do not use until a gas safe engineer attends. when they do check thier membership card esp. on the back where thier ‘competancies ‘ will be listed. gas safe does not mean qualified to do all gas work it means qualified to do some and those qualifications are on the back of the card and on the gas safe website.. where they ll also be a pretty picture of the engineer.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Threesomes appear mandatory… 😀

footflaps

I think he has a hole in his pocket….

cardo

The 3 “British Gas” people in the pic are laughing at the rubbish B.G. Service plan you have just signed yourself up for! 😉

northernmatt

That or they are laughing at your for paying way over the odds for a boiler swap which they told you you needed because your old boiler wasn’t worth fixing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any gas engineers in today?’ is closed to new replies.