Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Gas Board folk on? External meter box question
  • GrahamS

So I came home tonight to find two gas board vans in the street.
    I said to the workies: “You’re not looking at the gas pressure by any chance are you? Because ours was fluctuating quite a bit yesterday”

Turns out they were and 3 other houses in the street had problems. One had no gas at all. Bloke comes in, looks at our internal meter, does the sucking in air thing and says: “Whoever put this in has just sleeved 16mm tubing inside the existing pipes and it’s not a wide enough bore for your supply. We’ll need to replace this with an external meter. We have crews out tomorrow I’ll add you to the list.”

While I appreciate getting it sorted out so promptly, I’m not sure I want an ugly-arse white PVC box stuck to the front of our 100-year old terraced cottage.

Are there any more sightly options?

falkirk-mark

get a brown one

GrahamS

Is brown PVC less bogging than white?
    At least it wouldn’t go yellow after a week I suppose.

falkirk-mark
    djglover
    Free Member

Not allowed lots of supply side pipe on your property, but you can have the meter concealed in something better at your expense yes.

GrahamS

Thanks, I found http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/content/METERBOXESmeterboxes.asp?TypeID=1&CatID=23

This:

Looks a bit better than what the neighbour has which is something like this:

Only kinda yellowing with green damp on top.

But I’m not sure if they are going to give us any choice.
    I don’t really want to be without gas, but I don’t want an ugly solution forced onto us when a few quid would get something less ugly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can get ones set into the wall (our leccy one does). Still unsightly but less protruding.

GrahamS

Looking at that site I think you can only have it set into the wall if you have cavity walls, but we don’t

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Gas Board folk on? External meter box question’ is closed to new replies.