Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Garmin satnav users?
  • cinnamon_girl

Would be interested in real world experiences or indeed of any other make besides TomTom.

Replacing a TomTom which, quite frankly, has been utter rubbish.

Thanks. 🙂

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Garmin in head unit Kenwood poor, Navteq in Clarion was ace. Currently have tomtom 5100 which has been a revelation with its semi realtime traffic updates from the built in sim. Tom tom changed its menu system and I cant find the avoid next part of the route as easily as old tomtom. Closest comparable sat nav is Waze that is free on the smart phone.

nickc

I quite like my Tom Tom. never used a Garmin though, sorry.

What features don’t you like about the Tom Tom?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies. TomTom has been totally unreliable, frequently won’t switch on and the screen now looks as though it’s on an acid trip. All I need is mapping for the UK with a 5″ screen.

milky1980
    Free Member

Got a Nuvi 54LM with lifetime map updates, had it a few years now and use it regularly. Never given me any problems sending me down no-roads etc to the point where the work-supplied TomTom (basic model somethingorother) never gets used and I take mine in. It’s guided me fine round most of the UK and some of France including the annual Alps trip. The only place it struggled was central London due to the high buildings blocking an accurate signal and that the road directions for 1-ways didn’t match the map, other than that it’s never been wrong. Routing isn’t always the fastest option but never far out.

Advice I was given at the time was to get the cheapest EU map model with updates included as they have more internal memory space for new map updates to fill. The UK ones apparently suffer from memory shortage after a year or so, presumably due to the map files being larger and more detailed. Don’t know if that still applies.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks milky, shall check that out.

allthegear
    Free Member

I have a BMW Navigator V on the motorbike which is basically a Garmin unit.

It’s okay, not as good as Google Maps, especially from a user experience point of view, but it works well with the multifunction wheel on the bars and with my moribund gloves.

Garmin are really good at hardware. Not quite so good at software.

Rachel

Tracey

We got one of the camper ones and it was far better than the Tomtom it replaced, especially through Europe. Bought abigale one of the cheaper ones with Europe on when Aldi had them in last year, think they were selling them off a couple of weeks ago in our local one.

cbike
    Free Member

I would stick with the Tom Tom. The interface is far superior to Garmin which has too much information buried in menus and the maps seem really out of date. Garmin wants to go up route that have been closed to cars since the 80’s or turn left and go round the block to turn right??.

This based on the experiences of delivering pizza in East Kilbride where you are pushing them hard and they fill up the route cache really quickly making them slower.

CountZero

If smartphone satnav is acceptable, then here, the original Nokia satnav is excellent, it’s available as an Android or iOS free app, and it’s become my default satnav now, since the last update.
    It has one feature in particular that sets it apart, that being you don’t need a postcode; if you can find the place you want to go to on the map, by zooming in or whatever, then you just do a long tap which brings up several icons, one being travel directions, and it usually gives two or three options, all depending on how you set up original travel parameters.
    The fact that it’s been bought up by a consortium consisting of Mercedes/BMW/Audi tends to indicate that it’s rather good.

wicki
    Free Member

Got two Garmins oldest is 07 works fine just to small tom tom died in a year from heat stroke lol ffs but i far preferd the TT navigation and menus just the build quality sucks .

Known issue with some tom toms dust getting under the screen bezel sends em dooolally might be worth a try.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought a Garmin from Halfords, cheap one about £100, for our farm runaround.

I’ve nothing more to say other than its fine.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Why do you need a satnav to find your way around a farm?

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Thanks all, plenty to think about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Garmin satnav users?’ is closed to new replies.