Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any Gardeners or plant spotters, need help ID'ing a tree
  • Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

HI,

Just bought a house and in the garden is a really cool tree, however some T*** has trashed it so i want to ID it to see if it will survive. I don't have a clue about plants or gardens apart form cuttin the grass so please help. Sorry no pics as Mrs is away with camera.

it about 8-10 foot tall. and at this time of year had really deep red leaves untill the wind blew them off, the ends of the branches are really soft to the touch almost velvety and at the end there is aPurple flower type thing that looks like some kind of wierd pine cone thing and again soft to the touch(this is what the 'stards have ripped off).

any Ideas from this dodgy description. been trawling Google but no look so far as not sure what to search for

Many Thanks in advance

woodsman
    Free Member

You'll have to take a pic from that description!

Kuco

I think I know whats he's on about but can't think of the name, the branches are quite brittle.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

red sumac?

crewlie

yep sumac

crewlie

very hard to kill, so you should be ok

Nico
    Free Member

Rhus?

Nico
    Free Member

Nasty. Spreads like f*kc.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

That looks like the one Nico but there is a Purple Thing on the end of the branches

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

It might, repeat might, be a Stagshorn Sumach (Rhus typhina). They have those purple cone type things. If it is, and piccies will be needed to confirm, then get rid of it. It is a vicious, vigorous sucker creating plant. In some US states it is illegal to grow it other than in a container. It will ruin your lawn, putting out suckers that try to shoot. Your mower will cut the young leaves, and so it will make more. You will then finish up with a great knotty lump just under the lawn. Not one lump, but many. A neighbour of mine had one growing in his back neighbour's garden, maybe 100' from his house. When he came back from his hols a sucker was growing up INSIDE his lounge.

If it is that, dig it, and as many roots as you can out. Roots left in can become new trees.

Edit, shucks beaten to it whilst typing that.

rootes1

try this site:

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/intro2.htm

scroll to the bottom of above and it takes you to:

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/index2.htm

i used it to id a tree in my garden

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Lovely pic LGB.

Get rid of it, NOW. That's why it's been trashed.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Is it really that Bad?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

No, it's worse.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Shame Its a nice looking tree, But why would someone trashit rather than approach me about it? I am aware that the previous occupants where assoles but still?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Paul McCartney thought Heather Mills was nice looking.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Commonly known as a Sumacer tree in our house but as per splelling as earlier but they are very susceptible to wind damage this time of the year and literally it will appear that someone has as you say trashed it, branches will fall off. Beware though they pop up all over the place so there is no way that you will have just one in the garden there will be hundreds of the bloody things. Look nice till they make a mess and sprout everywhere that why I got ride of mine!

MrGreedy

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any Gardeners or plant spotters, need help ID'ing a tree’ is closed to new replies.