Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • any fridge freezer experts/technicians on here?
  • sadexpunk

got an AEG Santo fridge freezer. good quality (expensive) one about 2 years old.

just lately tho, the fridge section shows its warming up gradually. its always set for 4 degrees temp. however when you look at it now, it creeps up gradually. last week to 6 and 7 degrees, this week up to 9.

cant find the manual for it, but its got a 'coolmatic' button next to the temp. if we press that, itll creep back down to 4, but only for a few hours before creeping up again.

so……..its either actually getting warmer, or a faulty sensor is saying its getting warmer when its not if you see what i mean. cant decide which one.

does it sound like it just needs re-gassing, or something more serious?

cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'd be going down the lines of a faulty sensor/thermostat. Can you isolate where it is in the fridge? Is the freezer part working ok?

lipseal
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with a siemens coz the wife over packed it and left the door slightly open which she did several times, so make sure there's plenty of air flow near sensor and the door is closed properly. It there any frost on the rear of the fridge compartment?

sadexpunk

hmmm strangely enough, all those hundreds of manuals and ours isnt there :-/

model S 75408 KG, product no 925034402-00. google not turning one up either.

so im not sure where the sensor is. freezer is working fine. its s bit tricky to move to look at back of unit, but ill try and shuffle it out to look for frost at the back.

thanks

lipseal
    Free Member

No not frost at the back but at the rear of the chill compartment, but don't move it about too much as it can damage compressor so be careful. Also can you hear the compressor running all the time?

adam5555

Put a thermometer in to the fridge and leave it in for a while to see what the actual temp is.

backhander
    Free Member

Sensor will be close to or on the evaporator. Sounds like a stat problem to me.

sadexpunk

update. just got round to sourcing a thermometer, and indeed it looks like the fridge is actually warming up, rather than faulty sensor.

and no, theres no frost anywhere inside the fridge, and it sounds normal. as in motor running sometimes, not all the time.

does that make it any clearer for a diagnosis? re-gas job? :-/

cheers

backhander
    Free Member

Nt necessarily mate. Can the fridge reach temperature?
    The stat/sensor tells the compresor when to run.
    Have you an electronic thermometer with a sensor or a mercury one?
    Quick test; turn the stat down as low as it will go. See what temperature it reaches (take this when the compressor stops). If it can reach a decent temp (-2 say) then you are probably not short of gas and the sensor/stat is out of calibration.

backhander
    Free Member

Oh and look at the back, is there 2 compressors? Black roundish pots with 2 pipes coming out and a stub.

adam_h
    Free Member

Got plenty of airflow around the back of the fridge?

sadexpunk

ill have a look for the compressors in the morning thanks.

as for the fridge reaching temperature? its got a + button, – button and a 'coolmatic' button. you could always set it to go up or down before until this pproblem. now it slowly creeps up all the time and you cant change it with the minus button. all you can do is press coolmatic and then it goes down again. but only for a short while.

air flow is not great, altho most fridge freezers are stuck in corners of a kitchen arent they? does it need good airflow in particular?

thanks

backhander
    Free Member

air flow is not great, altho most fridge freezers are stuck in corners of a kitchen arent they? does it need good airflow in particular?

Not really but give the coil a wipe anyway.
    Sounds like it could be short of gas but could also be going out on compressor klixon (thermal overload) which is definately not good.
    You need to know at what temps the compressor is coming on and going off at.

sadexpunk

right, ive taken fridge out so its free standing in kitchen. its got 1 compressor at the bottom, and no obvious signs of anyhting wrong. juust a bit of dust on the grill thing at the back. theres an 'evaporation tray' thats full of water, but theres a sign on it saying do not remove.

as for the temperatures……..got up this morning and it was on 6 degrees, no compressor whirring. went up to 8. so i pressed coolmatic button and compressor kicks in and chills it down again. at the mo its on 3 degrees, with compressor still running. will prob knock itself off at 2 if i remember correctly.

mean anything to anyone? :-/

cheers

toys19
    Free Member

I had a fridge freezer problem in one of my student rental houses that I have seen in other models since which might be similar to this.

The fridge gets its cooling from freezer below which is controlled by a fancy venting system. The vent system gets blocked/partially blocked up by ice, so the freezer works fine but the fridge appears to warm up.

Solution – defrost the freezer completely (like for about 2 days). This will defrost the ice blockage and restore airflow tot the fridge..

I found this myself as the engineer came out three times replaced everything and its still didn't work.

This might not be your problem but its the only thing I can offer..

sadexpunk

just looked in freezer tho and theres no ice to defrost whatsoever 🙂

thanks

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah it might not be in the freezer, mine was frost free too. Its in the ductwork that connects the freezer to the the fridge.

backhander
    Free Member

If theres only 1 compressor, theres only 1 refrigeration circuit. This means that it's probably not short of gas which is supported by the fact that the fridge can hit temperature. Stat I reckon. Is it turned down as far as it can go?

santojpw
    Free Member

Hi there Sadexpunk,

I don’t know if you get automatically told about an update to your post but I would be really interested to hear if you ever resolved your fridge problem as exactly the same thing is happening to us (except ours gets up to 10C before stabilising). The usually useful internet has let us down badly and it seems silly to retrace your pleas for help across the www (I did just try to contact you via a kitchen appliance website you used as I didn’t want to pester you here on a website you clearly still use but if you can help it would be great). I guess it’s either the sensor or the pcb but we still dream of a cheaper solution. I can’t believe this has just happened to you and me and I am genuinely amazed how hard it is to track down spares or technical diagrams for fridges. Thanks if you can help and I promise I’ll take the family out on their bikes this afternoon!

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘any fridge freezer experts/technicians on here?’ is closed to new replies.