Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • any Fred Whitton riders about?
  • ton

saw hundreds today at the side of derwent water.
    how did you get on?

Freester

Tougher weather than last year. The entire section from the bottom of the Whinlatter descent to the feed station at Calder Bridge was a tough wet drag into a strong wind.

That said I got round a bit quicker than last year so I’ll take that.

Support around the course unbelievable. Literally hundreds on Whinlatter. Crazy Honister92 party on Cold Fell. 100s at the finish line.

jam-bo

Taking it easy today, legs are a bit stiff.

Might go and do a lap of grizedale tomorrow.

rents
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it this year. We were on the shonky green Tandem :0) Started off steady and felt fairly fresh at Hardknott and wrynose. Managed to get up and over everything which was the only plan for the day. I did absolutely s##t myself going down kirkstone (first major downhill). I Let the brakes go at the top and realised when i got to the chicane 1/3 of the way down that the brakes didn’t have the power to scrub off that amount of speed so just had to go with it. luckily the stoker was oblivious. Our final time was 8hr30mins which was well inside what we had hoped for so really chuffed.
    The support all around the course was amazing making it a fantastic day out.
    Hope to be back next year looking for sub 8 hrs and will defo have a dragbrake or disc on the rear :0)

jwt
    Free Member

I was marshaling at Skelwith Bridge, I was pleasantly surprised by how fresh most people looked. I can’t imagine how I looked at the same point last year? Really enjoyed the day and got great feedback from the riders we saw heading to the pub after they had finished.

jam-bo

I was marshaling at Skelwith Bridge, I was pleasantly surprised by how fresh most people looked. I can’t imagine how I looked at the same point last year? Really enjoyed the day and got great feedback from the riders we saw heading to the pub after they had finished.

I think it was relief…

Although as I left the site I saw some guy cramped up by the side of the road by Rydal water. Maybe a mile to go?

And someone rolled past our cottage in clappersgate about 7pm..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My brother completed it for the second time, taking over an hour off last year, however after two very wet years he is vowing never again. SO I think I’ll try for next year and laugh when I get a day of lovely sunshine! (or not).

On another note a very prominent Event industry magazine photo competition – Square Meal – has given an award to the FW photographer Steve Fleming- the judges said

Stunning Yorkshire Dales and dramatic lighting perfectly capture the gruelling but beautiful Fred Whitton Race

🙄

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘any Fred Whitton riders about?’ is closed to new replies.