Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any FORD SMAX Owners here ? Tow Bar Question
  • adi66
    Free Member

So I’m just in the process of finding a tow bar for my S-Max,Bike transport only, not to tow a caravan.
    Only problem is I have the “Titanium X” Version with the “sport Bumpers” and I want a removable tow hitch system that is 100% hidden, when the swan neck is removed. So that my car has zero bits of unsightly metal sticking out from below it – and looks like it has NO tow bar fitted.

I have found 1x version Hidden Tow Bar – I think… that claims to be “Hidden / Invisible” however the manufacturer is unable to confirm if it is truly hidden, and has no images of it installed on a car.

So the question is:
    Do you have a Titanium X S-Max, and have a Hidden removable tow bar fitted…. How hidden is it, and what make is it? Do you have the one in the link above ?

Thanks All.

lodious
    Free Member

I have a detachable towbar fitted to mine….I’ll post up a pic later.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think you will struggle. I’ve recently had a detachable one fitted (whitter – actually a PF Jones own brand one, but it’s a Whitter) and when I was looking they all specifically said they were good for all models of SMax, including the twin exhaust Titaniums like mine, apart from the Titanium X. When the tow hitch is detached all you can see with mine are two small metal loops just below the bumper line, which I presume is to thread a cable through if you’re towing a braked trailer. I’m only using mine for cycle racks.

Hope i’m wrong for your sake, and I wasn’t specifically looking for compatibility with a Titanium X, but certainly all the places and models I looked at none seemed to be suitable for the X.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GTDave
    Free Member

I fitted the Westfalia one to mine:

Very sturdy.

adi66
    Free Member

Any chance of a couple of pics (rear low down, side on etc) of your “install” Lodious & Wobbliscott , and anymore info on where you got it from / make of the tow bar.

FWIW:
    I’m just really picky about my car and don’t want to ruin its “look” with a fugly chunk of metal sticking out from under it. Lol

Thanks in advance

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just seen that you have already found a tow bar kit for a Titanium X. From the diagram it does look very similar than the Whitter one I have. I got mine from PF Jones.

It’s a while since i’ve posted a pic so i’ll give it a go…..Not a great shot – just taken it on my phone, but you can just see the small black metal loops in the middle snug under the bumper. You can see these but they are not that noticeable – certainly more discreet than a lot of other kits i’ve seen where you sometimes get some of the structure protruding below the bumper line. The electrics socks swing out from under the bumper.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vFnuAf]

lodious
    Free Member

Sorry it’s a bit wonky…

It is visible, but not offensively so (IMHO)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vJ6Cua]20150707_194954[/url] by Lodious, on Flickr

adi66
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your time to take & post the pics. 😀

My car has the rear bumper shown in Iodious’s pic…

What you have on “display” was what I was trying to avoid, I.e a big hole cut into my bumper valence.

I guess my search will continue for the illusion hidden kit…. (Moon on a stick! Lol)

Thanks guys.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yeah, mines just a normal Titanium and not an X so hasn’t got the same bumper. There are swing out ones – not sure if they are any different. They’re certainly more expensive. I don’t think you’ll avoid having to cut the valance as the crash structure behind the bumper is removed and replaced with a modified piece that includes all the structure that receives the tow hook, so that is all hidden behind the bumper so you need to cut a hole to slide the removable hook up into.

lodious
    Free Member

I don’t think its going to be possible as the valance comes too far forward underneath the car. I’ll take a pic to show you. Mine is the ‘official’ Ford one (they are made by a 3rd party, can’t remember who), fitted by Ford when I picked the car up. There is a proper cutting template for the dealer to use, so it is a supported solution (a few people told me you couldn’t fit a towbar to a Tit X at all, which is not true).

adi66
    Free Member

Yeah removal of the bumper beam is standard, and I’ve accepted that I’m going to have to cut the glossy grey “diffuser” to fit the tow bar, but I wanted the smallest cut out possible.

I’ve found another supplier that can fit a minimally protruding mounting for the swan neck…. However again he’s unable to show me how big the hole will be!

….Looks like I’m gonna have to ask them not to fit the “diffuser” bit back on and move the electric socket to a more discreet location myself.

Thanks Guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any FORD SMAX Owners here ? Tow Bar Question’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts