Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any fisherman on here?
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

It’s my sons birthday soon a he’s currently obsessed with the TV show ‘river monsters’ so I thought I’d get him a starter kit to see if he likes it. I know absolutely nothing about fishing. There seems to be a multitude of kits on eBay, but I’ve no clue what to go for. Won’t be spending a lot – he can get some decent kit if he gets into it.

bearnecessities

Marin
    Free Member

Try your local angling shop they are worse than bike nerds and generally very helpful and will know local area and what to use.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dingabell
    Free Member

What a shame. Last week I gave away three really decent carbon rods and various tackle that I would have loved to send you for the grand total of naff all.

PMK2060

I would suggest a trip to a fishing shop explaining where you plan to fish and your budget. Most fishing kits are the equivalent of a BSO.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, go to a local shop, or you could end up with a load of useless tackle.

When I was young, I was desperate for a fishing set, as I was similarly addicted to a TV programme (Hooked on Scotland). Folks bought me a kit from Argos or somewhere generic and it was a full coarse fishing kit. Not much use for West of Scotland!.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

What PMK2060 says.

GrahamS

I was similarly addicted to a TV programme (Hooked on Scotland).

I think my dad (mad keen fly fisherman) appeared on that once – he used to take the rip out of Paul Young (presenter), who was apparently a bit crap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, he definitely wasn’t much of a fisherman, but was really passionate and good guy. Bit of a TV legend when he was young too, although his acting was about as good as his fishing!.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Where does he want to fish, what does he want to catch? (apart from monsters!) If you live near the coast then now’s the time time to go Macky bashing which you can do for about £20 & is a great way to catch your supper. (me & my mate did ok of Seaham pier today, 25 between us)
    Defo use a tackle shop for advice, set your budget so they don’t go selling you stuff you don’t need & if you can, ask someone who knows a bit about it to go with you for backup. (bit like buying a bike for the 1st time really)

Tell him tight lines from me & to learn the anglers prayer…’Oh Lord give me grace to catch a fish so big that even I, when telling of it afterwards shall never need to lie’

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Second going to angling shop – there’s a few round here and all very friendly and helpful – not just on kit but on where to go as well. Got a basic casting lesson from one of the shops when buying a second hand rod.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Will you be going to rivers, lakes, fisheries, the sea, piers, beaches, rocks? Boat?

Put aside £100 and you’ll get a nice rod, reel, line, some tackle etc. Veals mail order are the CRC of fishing.

GrahamS

the CRC of fishing

I thought that was http://www.fishingmegastore.com/

bruneep

Just need a boat and a grenade

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLt5i4w00eE[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, you need to know where he’ll be fishing. Assuming it’s a local river/lake or whatever, your local (if one still exists) tackle shop will be best placed to help.

Where are you? Sure there will be someone on here in the same location that knows a bit about fishing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

GrahamS, i live in Glasgow and wouldn’t use the GAC!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Live in Macclesfield. It will be rivers I guess. I’ll check out a local shop. Cheers

GrahamS

GrahamS, i live in Glasgow and wouldn’t use the GAC!

Yeah I gather it is a CRC vs LBS type thing.

My dad uses them – but he knows what he wants, doesn’t need any advice and just wants the cheapest price.

He also uses http://www.cafarobrosonline.co.uk

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Don’t use Argos. They do kits there and although the rods and reels etc are perfectly usable, they generally come with awful line and cheapo end tackle.

Fishing shop is a good bet but try and find a big one. Lots of dingy little tackle shops won’t have a lot of choice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any fisherman on here?’ is closed to new replies.