Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any Fellwalkers on – Recommend me a big day out in the hills (England and Wales)
  • djglover
    Free Member

I used to do a load of fellwalking with my old man in my pre-university days and have done a lot of the big lakes walks, but 20 years later, and probably with the 3 peaks training in mind I’ve developed a yearning to do a big day out in the hills.

OK, so I live in London and would travel to Snowdonia or the Lakes as a max, over high summer to maximise daylight. I’ve never walked in Wales, I ran up Snowdon last year but thats not the kind of thing I have in mind.

2 ideas I have at the moment are: a) Blencathra via Sharp edge then Skiddaw. Or b) Jacks Rake, Pavey Ark, Langdales, Bowfell Crinkle crags, so big long hard days!

Any other ideas, suggestions from Wales esp welcome?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A loop of all the Langdale summits, with scrambles.

BadlyWiredDog

Welsh 3000s should keep you happy – bivvy on top of Snowdon, down over Crib Goch, drop down the North Ridge into Cwm Glas, all the way along the Elidir Fawr / Glyderrau ridge, over Tryfan – off the side, not down the North Ridge which is a pig in descent, up onto Pen yr Ole Wen then all the way up the Carneddau. Awesome day, though a linear one, so you need to think about the logistics a bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    highclimber
    Free Member

in wales you can get the Sherpa bus from one part of snowdonia to another quite easily in summer so doing the glyders and snowdon in a day is do able, the 30 mile journey involved in the welsh 3000s isn’t a nice walk to do in a full day (I’ve tried). if you are looking for a relaxed walk then just the Glyderau on their own is a worthwhile day out and if you have time do the snowdon summit by dropping down to nant peris and getting the bus to Pen Y pass.

Kunstler

The Snowdon horseshoe is a fabulous route. I’ve done it several times and ranks as a favourite mountain day out, even amongst most of my mountain days here in Scotland.

djglover
    Free Member

Checking out the 3000s now, cheers!

midlifecrashes

If summits are your thing, then as above and loads more, but somewhere around upper Teesdale – Langdon Beck – High Cup Nick would be on my list too, maybe as a two dayer though.

djglover
    Free Member

Ooh, yeah, high cup nick, I’ve always wanted to do that. But I could do it on a bike right?

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Would need to get a map out to confirm route but cat bells- honister- great gable- scafell- glaramara- seatoller was a long day out in the lakes.

In Snowdonia llyn ogwen- tryfan- glyders- tryfan before breakfast with some brilliant scrambles then pen yr ole wen (i think- opposite tryfan?) loop finishing with a swim in a lake.

Just get a map out and keep walking. Probably more options for the lakes

midlifecrashes

Yup, High Cup Nick accessible by bike, several ways to make it a great day out, with Cross Fell being the other biggie in the day. Plenty of routes on the web, but whether walking or biking, make sure you arrive at the Nick from the east, usually along the Pennine Way (bridleway) for the full effect, it really is stunning in a way few other places on the island are.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Buttermere Round is good – Red Pike along the ridge to Haystacks, then Honister to Robinson. If you’re feeling fit you can get up onto Grassmoor too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northumberland is rubbish, especially the Cheviots. Really horrible part of the world, horrible food, horrible locals, etc, etc.

Don’t go there at all. No, sir. Not at all.

😉

elliptic
    Free Member

Ambleside to Keswick via the full length of the Fairfield/Helvellyn ridges (get the bus back). Did this by moonlight once 🙂

The Old County Tops – Helvellyn, Scafell Pike, Coniston Old Man. In effect it’s the Lakes 3000’ers without the incredibly dull tarmac-plodding sections. Done annually as a fell race (though not by me!)

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

i’ve done the welsh 3000’s. It’s a very big day out. and if teh weather turns can get uncomfortable (as we found out).

Would do it again, but if you wanted to do it for fun, I would break it half way.

my account of it here.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A round of Wasdale – Scarfell, Scarfell Pike, Great End, Great Gable, LingFell(?), Pillar, Red Pike(?) finish on Yewbarrow. I think you would have to be very fast to do it all in a day, but as it’s a round, you can drop back down to into Wasdale at any point.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Option a everytime sounds fab!! I’ve not done any BIG walks for a while now really miss it, the feeling at the top of a mountain is second to none! Enjoy which ever you pick.

Walking Englishman

This has some good ideas on

Stoner
    Free Member

I often walk the Mynydd Du north of Abergavenny because I can get a train there and there’s a bar under Llanthony priory, which is also a good spot for a bivvy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any Fellwalkers on – Recommend me a big day out in the hills (England and Wales)’ is closed to new replies.