Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any Fairlight Strael owners? (Or what alternative bike have I overlooked)
  • chunkychew
    Free Member

Are there any Fairlight Strael owners around here, who can share their thoughts about their bike? The reviews all look very positive but I’m after a few real world opinions.

I’ve been looking around for my first road bike, and having done some research (messing about on the internet) Currently the Strael is coming out on top. The only thing which puts me off is that it’s QR front and rear.

I commute about 100km a week all year round. My route is pretty much all road but with a bit of gravel track/mixed surface mixed in. I’m after something practical, but that still has a bit of zip to it. I quite fancy adding a few more road miles into my riding. Dabbling with the idea of a few shop/club rides. I dont want to spend more than £2k. Have I missed a better alternative?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They posted up a while ago that they looked at thru-axle dropouts but felt that the weight penalty wasn’t worth it.

But if you have convertable hubs, like Hope, then you can run 9mm and 10mm thru-axle from DT and they do up very tight – which is where the rigidity comes from. Got them on my Tripster.

I’ve been to the shop and seen one – but if you were to buy one the key thing for my is going to the shop for the fit – I think you get a retul fit with it.

greentricky
    Free Member

James Hayden is currently riding one with every chance of winning the transcontinental race

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    TwirlipoftheMists

I’ve got one. Had it for a full three weeks now. It’s lovely. It replaced my stolen Cannondale Synapse.
    I know it’s a fair bit heavier and down-spec (I went for 105 after having had ultegra) but I can’t tell. I keep setting Strava PBs on it.
    It’s worth noting that while there aren’t all that many options available on the website, if you email them they can change all sorts of things to suit.

spyke85
    Free Member

Keep looking at one to change my Croix de Fer from but think they would be very similar. Should be no surprise as they were done by the same designer. Love my Croix de Fer for commuting and is my go to bike for the weekend too.

I am probably going to end up going for a Ti Croix de Fer however.

tomwoodbury

Aren’t these significantly lighter than the steel CdF? I’m currently looking at a Fairlight Faran as an option for my new commuter, although the more sensible and less nickable option would be a de-badged CdF.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah massively lighter.

I’ve never bought into the ‘less nickable’ argument. Bike thieves love nicking bikes and taping up the frame or debadging it or getting what you percieve to be a less desirable brand will not stop them

guywood
    Free Member

I recently bought a Strael frame and forks and built it up with the 5800 105 from my Giant along with the Hunt 4 Seasons wheels and 685/805 hydraulic brakes. I absolutely love it. Sure it’s a bit heavier than carbon but carbon really doesn’t float my boat in the way a good steel frame does. It’s super stiff and fast but has that ability that steel does to take the sting out of any ride. Highly recommended. Oh, and just in case anyone’s thinking of pulling the trigger on one, I’m 5′ 11″ and all arms and legs and I went for the 56R. I have a 120 mm stem and two 10 mm stem spacers and it’s nice and long and low with plenty of room for further slammage.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Well that’s a set of glowing reviews! My heart had decided, and now my head agrees, just as they are pretty much out of stock. Gutted.

Next batch expected in late December. Apparently they are going 12mm bolt through for 2018.

Now I need to make another decision. Do I wait 4-5 months, or look elsewhere?

chunkychew
    Free Member

Spyke85 – the Strael and the CdF are pretty different. The CdF is heavier, and designed as more of a touring bike with greater clearance. The Fairlight Faran looks more similar but I’ve never ridden either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I commute about 100km a week all year round. My route is pretty much all road but with a bit of gravel track/mixed surface mixed in. I’m after something practical, but that still has a bit of zip to it. I quite fancy adding a few more road miles into my riding. Dabbling with the idea of a few shop/club rides.

Pre-2018 Diverge, even more so if you can pick one up in the sales. There are Expert Carbons at around your budget out there. Weight is the same as the same spec Roubaix, which is pretty impressive. Can take full guards and luggage for commuting. Fast enough to join a club ride, tough enough to get muddy, comfy and stable enough for commuting duties.

The 2018 Diverge is a very different beastie, as is the Roubaix, both with fugly steerer condom.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

apropos of not very much, but the Strael looks stunning in the pics in the road.cc review

http://road.cc/content/review/216171-fairlight-cycles-strael

yet Fairlight have managed to make it look like some ungainly gopping audax farmgate on their own website, apparently using the largest frame with max stem stack in Yawn red.

If I hadn’t gone for my Reilly the road.cc article would have pushed me towards the Strael, if I’d seen their own website first I’d have closed the browser.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought much the same when I read that review then went to check out the website. Might have been easier for them in terms of marketing to have the two geometries as two different bikes.

On my list, as the road.cc long/low version, if ever I’m changing my training bike.

(Only slight niggle for me, be nice if it had removable cable stops on the down tube as I’d put Di2 on it.)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I agree with the two points above; should’ve done two different bikes.

The Strael with a sick position and a slammed stem. Obvs this would feature in all Instagram posts with colour colour coded socks and shoes.

Then the camp sounding one (Faran) for the MAMILS. This would be tucked away on the website out of harms way.

It looks like a nice bike though (the MAMIL friendly version is almost a replica of my steel bike), but it does absolutely nothing for me (which is really the only reason you’d buy an expensive steel frame as something like a Planet X or CAAD will ride better for less money). I think if they’d colour matched the forks it’d be perfect.

The other one (Faran) looks better I think, if they’d got rid of the downtube gusset and specced an oversize headtube, it’d be perfect.

Wish I’d built the bikes for them though, as I can slam a mean stem and trim cables to within an inch of their life.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

no roadie thread is complete without the Wisdom of DT 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

I got one too, got it a few weeks ago, only had a chance to put 125 miles on it so far, but I love it. I went Ultegra Di2, it’s a beauty. 🙂

And MrB – agreed, the redundant cable stops on it are the only thing that really bugs me!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

no roadie thread is complete without the Wisdom of DT

Heh! Well, I try to provide an honest, down-to-earth, slightly tongue in cheek point of view.

I do think people get too carried away with the “steel is real” malarky though. Best thing to do is just buy the bike that looks the nicest.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

that was a genuine smiley not ironic, whether you’re trolling or actually being insightful (or both) I always enjoy your contributions.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll continue, although I have a feeling some people take them the wrong way.

FWIW, best disc road frame around at the minute (at least on paper) is the Pinnacle Dolomite 6.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice update…

http://road.cc/content/news/233757-fairlight-cycles-strael-20-unveiled-steel-disc-equipped-road-bike-revised-2018

My grumble about Di2 fixed 🙂

Edit… blimey frameset now £999. Has that gone up a lot? Up a hundred quid, I guess that’s to be expected… bloody brexit 🙁

beagle
    Free Member

Old price if you’re quick and sign up for the early bird offer on the new version!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Must admit i’m tempted. But then there’d be new wheels, new shifters and brakes… 😕

jamiet
    Free Member

Think I was the first owner of a Strael, other than James Hayden, Jon at swift can correct me… Have done approx 15k on it in the last year and have had very few grumbles…

It’s very steady, great pointed downhill and very comfortable; you can just churn along really. It’s not the fastest to get up to speed and not a hill climber, but, it’s not trying to be. It’s all relative though as my point of reference for this is a supersix  tooled up very light.

Little gripes…  and they are little:

The cable holds are not fantastically secure, replaced with cable ties for me.

Paint finish is a powder coat, so super durable, it ain’t going to chip, but it is flexible/soft (designed that way) so it dulls a bit with cable wear.

QR ‘s were no problem but have been super cred Ed anyway.

Mine is Di2 and the rear derailleur cable can flap a bit, with risk of catching in cassette, remedied by attaching to eyelet on dropout.

Hunt wheels: sacrilege to say just o.k., light for the money, sound hubs, but I have reservations about the rim, too light for the money maybe… I have cracked two sets of rear rims around eyelets… (FYI not a big big rider, 77kg)… replaced wheels with hope 32 spoke rims under warranty no questions asked by Swift.

So all in all a great Steel frame. Comfort versatility and uts not a dinosaur. Plus great customer service, Swift can never do enough to sort niggles. Also I imagine second iteration to be even better…

Hope this helps any potential buyers out there…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any Fairlight Strael owners? (Or what alternative bike have I overlooked)’ is closed to new replies.